Patient Comments: Pain Management - Effective Treatments

Please describe the type of pain you suffer from, and what treatments have been effective for the pain.

Comment from: livingBtrnow, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 27

My pain started out young with scoliosis and being in an accident at 17. I had as a result, fractured 2 vertebrae, 4 broken ribs and contused kidneys. I was assaulted and almost lost my life. Face reconstruction that required several titanium plates, bolts, you name it, is in me. One of my nasal cavities was crushed, so I get a lot of infections. I have been on every medication out there. The only medication that really makes me feel like I am a normal person is methadone. Not only is it cheap it works! I guess everyone has something that agrees with their body. In the morning I still feel like I was hit by a train, but I take my medicines and lie down and they start to work, some bad days where I am in pain because of barometric pressure and some days I can get up and start my day. It has really helped me be a person who can work and be alert, unlike the other medicines I tried, I started to feel like a guinea pig. My last doctor suggested it and put me on it. Best decision I have made. If you have severe pain methadone works very well; for me at least.

Comment from: jerry S, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 04

My wife has had neuropathic face pain for 5 years now. None of the medicines work, and none of the surgeries work, they only make her worse. She has gone everywhere, seen 17 neurologists, seen 3 psychiatrists, and had 2 years of pain management, biofeedback, and 5 acupuncturists. She has lost 75 pounds, and has tried 2 stimulators. I am surprised she is still alive. All doctors have given up! What do we do!

Comment from: Lil, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I have constant pain and swelling of my right knee. I had a total knee replacement in July and my doctor was treating me with oxycodone, but a new law has gone into effect stating he cannot treat me longer than 3 months. He feels it would be beneficial for me to continue with the medication but isn't allowed to prescribe it to me any longer.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 25

I have chronic pain in toes and soles of feet - feels like walking on glass all the time. It's not neuropathy, either peripheral or diabetic. It's radiculopathy. I have taken ibuprofen and Dilaudid, with no relief. I have had epidural injections and direct pain management injections (steroid/cortisone) into feet 10 plus times with limited results.

Comment from: motorbike_crash, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I had a motorbike accident in 1984 and crush fractured 4 vertebra in my lower back, T12, L2, L4 and 5. I also fractured fingers, jaw and check bones requiring 22 screws and plates to put my face back together. I have had 8 major surgeries on my lumber spine with the last 3 being re-fusions because of broken hardware, screws etc.; the last in 1996 (more plates and screws). I get urinary retention when lower back pain is bad, which was about 1 week out of 6, less muscle tone in my right calf and numbness in my right foot. My main pain is right side sciatica and lower back pain. So I could keep working, I took ever increasing doses of MS-Contin (SR morphine) and Ordine (morphine liquid) for 13 years prescribed by a pain specialist, which was really effective as long as the dose was increased about every 6 months. A year ago I got so sick of planning my life around going to doctors for prescriptions and being treated like an out of control junkie if I had to see another doctor, or be admitted to hospital for another problem and having to explain and prove how much morphine I was taking (600-800mg/day). I went to my doctor and told him I was going to stop and go through withdrawal if it killed me. He told me about a medication called Suboxone, which is used by drug and alcohol centers to get addicts off narcotics. It works similar to morphine, but doesn"t have all of the side effects. I stopped the morphine and 3 days later started the Suboxone, which was increased to 32 mg over about 4 weeks. As well as controlling my pain, I now have my life back. I can taste food again, I feel alert and clear headed, and I've lost 18kgs and no more constipation. I also take Arthrotec 75 mg BD, which is an anti-inflammatory medication for arthritis that isn"t as hard on my stomach, and I feel the best I have felt for years. I have owned a bakery for 5 years now and I can now go to work for 8 to 10 hours, 6 days/week and still feel good enough to coach my 6 year old son's soccer team after work and week-ends, something I haven"t been able to do for years. My wife is so happy to have the old me back. I haven"t had any morphine for 13 months now and I don"t miss it. I would have stopped a long time ago, but I was so afraid of my pain being out of control and the terrible withdrawal symptoms, I couldn"t stop. Every time I asked my doctor about stopping, he said morphine was the only alternative I had for controlling my pain. It wasn"t until I made a stand about stopping that he suggested trying Suboxone. It's been used in Australia for 2-3 years now as drug to withdraw heroin addicts, so it's not well known or prescribed as a pain medication. If I had known how addictive morphine was and how it affects your life, I would never have agreed to take it. I have tried not taking the Suboxone for as long as 12 days, with the only side effect being a dramatic increase in my pain after 10 days. My pain is debilitating and it works for me.

Pain Management - Causes Question: What was/is the cause of your pain?
Pain Management - Nociceptive Pain Question: Please describe the type of nociceptive pain you experience, including additional symptoms.
Pain Management - Neuropathic Pain Question: Describe your neuropathic pain, including associated symptoms.