Patient Comments: Paget's Disease of The Nipple - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of Paget's disease of the nipple?

Comment from: Snoopy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I've had skin tags on occasion my whole life. I noticed one on my pubic mound area that grew extremely fast. That was the only one I had and it erupted like a pimple after about two weeks. Then I started getting five or six more in my genital area and went to my doctor. He immediately said they were genital warts. He froze them and wanted me back in two weeks. My girlfriend worked in a doctor's office and got the liquid nitrogen from her office and froze them one more time about two weeks later. I've been wart free for the last two years. After my outbreak and prior to visiting the doctor I had unprotected sex with my girlfriend, and she eventually got them also. We treated her at home the same way and after two treatments they were gone. It takes about a month for all signs of the warts to go disappear. I contracted them at the age of 64.

Comment from: Sal, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I noticed that right nipple was turned down and had swollen discolored area on areola. Immediately I saw my female dermatologist. She said she thought eczema but took a biopsy. After that the doctor ordered diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound. Biopsy had Paget's disease cells so now I'm waiting for MRI. Dermatologist said I'll need surgery. So, that's where I am. Hope this helps someone!

Comment from: Therese, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

Discharge from my nipple, itching, flaking, and sensitivity of the nipple to touch are my symptoms of Paget's disease of the nipple. I have yellowish and bloody discharge on occasion. It is sticking to my bra and not healing.

Comment from: 45 year old female, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

About a year ago, I mentioned to my doctor that I was having some sensitivity on my nipple and a small sore spot. It seemed to get better on it's own with Neosporin so I didn't think much more of it until a few months ago I noticed a few drops of blood on my nightgown. This then rapidly progressed to severe itching & burning. The surgeon I was referred to initially treated it as a possible fungal infection and then did a biopsy. I have DCIS and am facing a mastectomy in the next few weeks. My mammograms have always been normal (but I have dense breasts which apparently can make this difficult to diagnose initially).

Comment from: jferr3, Female (Patient) Published: October 14

You have no idea how much pain you are in for after getting hemorrhoid surgery. Wait until you have your first bowel movement, it is like passing razor blades.

Comment from: Dallas, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have been having breast pain under the nipple and if I push around the nipple there is a burning sensation and consistent if I lay on it. I feel it as well and it has been like this for 7 plus months. I am concerned about Paget's disease of the nipple.

Comment from: lilly, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I'm only 19 and I'm really scared because after googling Paget's disease I'm seeing a correlation with the symptoms that seem to be appearing. Both my nipples itch and burn especially late at night and I have a breast lump.

Comment from: dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I had ulceration on my nipple, but assumed it was chafing from my running bra, so I ignored it. It returned three months later, so I searched the symptoms and actually saw Paget's. I had just booked and paid for a “bucket list” trip to Africa to climb Kilimanjaro. So I thought, "I can't deal with this right now," put a bandage on it, and off I went. I thought, if I just climbed to the roof of Africa I can't be sick. So I came home and ignored it for the third time and then caught a glance of my nipple in the mirror and saw it was changing not only the nipple, but the areola area. I have no risk factors, no history of cancer in my family. I have never smoked, don't drink, I'm thin, and have always exercised a lot. I was just diagnosed with Paget's and need a mastectomy. The pathology report just came back today, but there is no staging yet. I set up my first oncologist appointment. I hope it is not too late for me and it isn't in an advanced stage. I hope I didn't throw my life away at 53. I am the perfect example of someone who ignored symptoms and will be the first to admit it is all my fault. I hope someone reads this and it spurs them to see a doctor quickly.

Paget Disease of the Breast - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your Paget disease of the breast?
Paget Disease of the Breast - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Paget disease of the breast.
Paget Disease of the Breast - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of Paget disease of the breast.