Patient Comments: Paget's Disease of The Nipple - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of Paget's disease of the nipple?

Comment from: Carol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I has a small amount of crusting on my left nipple in Oct of 2010--I used an ointment on the crusting and it disappeared. In March of 2011 I noticed a small spot of crusting on the same nipple...Within a couple of days I received an email from a friend mentioning "Paget's of the breast." I was seen by an oncologist whom did not think it was Paget's but did a biopsy anyway...Within 2 days I received the results--I had Paget's. An MRI confirmed a tumor in the milk duct.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I noticed a tiny absolutely white spot on my nipple. In the next month there was some crusting over that spot. My gynecologist suspected Paget's but the surgeon he sent me to for a biopsy laughed at me and told me to go home and "try more creams." He believed that it was a fungus. For more than a year the lesion persisted and grew (but only incrementally -- it remained a small section of the nipple). There was rarely pain, more often intermittent itching. The gynecologist who replaced my doctor when he moved away would not even look at it -- there was already a report from a surgeon in my file saying that it was nothing. Seventeen months after I first noticed the change on my breast, I went to a new family doctor, a woman. She took one look and said that if it were on her breast she would get a biopsy immediately. I told her that was all I wanted -- just to know. She made an appointment that day. I had surgery three months later (Houston flooded and lost some medical labs) but eventually M. D. Anderson diagnosed the tissue. We did a deepish cone shaped lumpectomy and removed 11 lymph nodes from the armpit. The lymph nodes were clear. The follow-up was aggressive radiation -- because I had had the cancer for so long. There was no underlying breast cancer which I realize was amazing. I have been cancer free for nearly ten years now and am a very healthy 70 year old.

Comment from: NJPOZNANSKI, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I have a gray scab like spot next to the areola. It also itches.

Comment from: PEGGY, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I had an irregular shaped rough spot on my nipple. My gyno misdiagnosed it as a fungal infection. My dermatologist suggested Paget's disease and sent me to a different gyno. He biopsied it and was surprised that it was Paget's disesase as it is rare and he had never seen a case before. I had a modified radical mastectomy in September 1985. The diagnosis was infiltrating ductal and intraductal carcinoma of the breast, Paget's disease of the nipple, and 22 axillary lymph nodes free of metastatic tumor. I had no further treatment. I am alive and well 27 years later.

Comment from: lcc, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I just had a very small dry spot in the breast and I put Vaseline I get it was very dry, but 1 month went by and still the same but little bit bigger and I call my doctor and send me to do a mammogram and sonogram and it was good, but I got sent to a specialist and I am going to have a biopsy, and see what it is.

Comment from: tomw, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 22

Yellowish discharge from the nipple. Spotting of blood on bed sheet one night. A small (.5cm ) lump below the nipple.

Comment from: Letter Carrier, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I had no symptoms. All of a sudden one day I came home and undressed myself and my nipple was stuck to the inside of my bra. That's how I found out there was a problem. A clear liquid was then present on the surface of my nipple after my shower and the surface of the nipple was kind of raw and red. One day later it was gone. I thought the Neosporin was good for it and that's why it went away, but I was wrong.

Paget Disease of the Breast - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your Paget disease of the breast?
Paget Disease of the Breast - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Paget disease of the breast.
Paget Disease of the Breast - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of Paget disease of the breast.