Patient Comments: Paget's Disease - Symptoms

The symptoms of Paget's disease vary from patient to patient. What were the symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: 1969, Male (Patient) Published: December 08

I would like to share my story, and any insight would be appreciated. I had herpes test in November, tested positive for having 1, but not HSV (herpes simplex virus) 2. My index was 2.50. I read that between 1.1 and 3.5 is false positive, and over 3.50 is definitely positive. I have never had an outbreak. I was tested in 2014 and both were negative. Within 2 years I tested positive for 1. I am so confused. I have read everything I can and can't get any definite answers. The doctor just accepted the test as positive because that's what it concluded.

Comment from: Martha, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

I had severe spinal pain from my head to my tail bone. Severe headaches on one side of the head, and my ankles would turn suddenly. I am allergic to many meds, including ANY aspirin products, so I now wear braces on both ankles, and get epidurals every three weeks in the neck area to quiet the pain in my back, arms and head. Now, I'd sure like to stop the ringing in my ears that has been there for over 25 years. I am a 73 year old female. Thank You.

Comment from: Robert, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 31

Well, the first symptoms were an occasional sharp pain in the groin area or the right hip. I had a check at the hospital, had to swallow barium. That showed a black area from my lower right calf up to my waist. The left side had about half the black and I don't really have any pain there. I recounted a dog bite I'd suffered as a 4 year old and the doctor said that might be the cause. He said whilst it's not curable we can slow Paget's down. I'm now 64 and the pain on my right side will only allow me to sleep for maybe an hour and then the pain wakes me up forcing me to turn on my left side. So I sleep badly and also without warning I can get a searing pain in the groin area which makes me see stars! Also the doctor told me that one leg is shorter than the other. So, it's something I have to put up with.

Comment from: Phyllis P., 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

Diagnosis confirmed by open biopsy per cervical spine #6. Mass on cervical 5, 6, and 7. Symptoms prior were left neck pain, left arm pain with shooting pains down the arm at times, numbness in little and ring finger. Four years prior, Paget diagnosis in right femur. Recent test results and diagnosis all led to cancer of the spine per bone scan, MRI, CT scan and PET scan as the uptakes were very high. I have history of over 35 years of cancer. Thankfully, neurology surgeon did the biopsy!

Comment from: nosypat, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: August 17

10 years ago my husband, then aged 72, started getting severe pains in his left knee. I was told it is arthritis, take pain killers and rub something on it. The pain persisted and got worse. I asked for x-rays which suggested Paget's, a blood test confirmed this although doctor admitted an ALP reading of 330 would not normally have raised his interest. More x rays, bone scans etc. which indicated he had the disease in many parts of his body with the knee most troublesome. A visit to an endocrinologist confirmed all this, but he (specialist turned out to be less than helpful. There followed more years of pain, pills and an arthroscopy. He moved from using a stick to using an electric scooter as walking became more and more painful. Sleeping was difficult, he was in pain within 10 mins of lying down in bed. Pain relief was increased to a 10mg patch Norspan once a week plus osteopanadol and endone. I finally persuaded him to return to another endocrinolgist who suggested Aredia infusion. He had this 4 days ago & is almost pain free but given his age 82, is a little more confused than normal. We hope he will settle as he is now talking of taking short walks. He has also been given Lyrica to try if needed and is continuing to use his patch. I am so hopeful this treatment will give him some pain free time. thank you WE are from England originally migrated to Australia in 1950

Paget's Disease - Treatment Question: Please describe the treatment you received for Paget's disease.