Patient Comments: Pacemaker - Describe Your Experience

Do you or a relative have a pacemaker? In what ways has it changed your lifestyle?

Comment from: Peglyn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

The day that I had my pacemaker placed I felt better than I had in a good while. I was ready to get up and walk around! My doctor said no at that time but as soon as I could I started moving around. It was like having new batteries put in or a good cup of coffee.

Comment from: fconzero, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

Only infrequently have I felt well with the pacemaker but they said, "seven days before you really feel right." I have had some good moments the last two days but evenings are tough. I was told I am seemingly cachectic. I have always been healthy and active but walked today and it made me sore.

Comment from: Nelson, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I never had a medical problem, heart or otherwise, prior to recent fainting episodes. It happened quickly (matter of days) and I was shocked when informed I required a pacemaker to help control my heart rhythms. Up until this time, I enjoyed an active healthy lifestyle. I have no family history of heart problems. I'm not overweight, and the only odd thing I have is low blood pressure and anemia.

Pacemaker - Surgery Question: Describe what surgery is like to receive a pacemaker.
Pacemaker - Types Question: What type of pacemaker do you have?
Pacemaker - Risks Question: Were you worried about the risks of pacemaker surgery?