GENERIC NAME: oxycodone and acetaminophen
BRAND NAMES: Percocet, Primlev, Roxicet, Endocet, Xartemis XR
DISCONTINUED BRANDS: Xolox, Tylox, Oxycet, Roxilox
GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes
USES: Oxycodone/acetaminophen is prescribed for the relief of moderate to moderately-severe pain.
The most frequent adverse reactions of oxycodone/acetaminophen are
Other important side effects include:
- constipation, and
- spasm of the ureter, which can lead to difficulty in urinating.
Possible serious side effects include
- severe reduction in blood pressure (hypotension),
- paralytic ileus,
- serious allergic reactions, and
- severe skin reactions.
Oxycodone can depress breathing and, therefore, is used with caution in elderly, debilitated patients and in patients with serious lung disease. Oxycodone can impair thinking and the physical abilities required for driving or operating machinery. Oxycodone can be habit-forming. Mental and physical dependence can occur but are unlikely when used for short-term pain relief.
- Tablets: 2.5/325, 5/300, 5/325, 7.5/300, 7.5/325, 10/300, 10/325 mg (oxycodone/acetaminophen)
- Tablets (Extended Release): 4.8/325 mg.
- Solution: 5/325 mg per teaspoonful
Quick GuideChronic Pain: Causes, Solutions and Management
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.