Patient Comments: Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms

The symptoms of ovarian cysts can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Robin, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I was diagnosed with my first cyst when I was 20. It was so painful I had to go to the emergency room. After the pain went away it was several years before I had another one. I was around 25 and was in so much pain I couldn"t even sit. I went to the emergency room and found out it was a double cyst. Now I"m 30, my tubes are tied and it seems like I get them every couple of months. It"s very painful and sometimes nothing helps.

Comment from: alantrika, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

About 2 weeks back I had abdominal pain mostly towards my left side of lower abdomen. I could stay no longer so I went to emergency and underwent an ultrasound. It showed left ovarian hemorrhagic cyst of 4cms and they told me to do tumor markers blood test; reports awaited.

Comment from: SuzyQ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

Last year I went to the emergency room for severe abdominal pain and vaginal bleeding. They told me it was a gall stone and sent me home with some pain medications which I could not take. After suffering through the weekend, I went to see my obstetrician and he told me an ovarian cyst had ruptured and there were several more on each ovary, one quite large and a few small ones. He was not able to tell me how to get rid of them other than surgery and to wait it out and see what happens. Yeast infections and bladder infections have plagued me for as long as I can remember and both were beginning to bother me at the time. While in the store picking up yet another package of vaginal antifungal cream, a woman suggested probiotics. I opted not to buy the cream, went to a health food store and picked up some really good probiotics. After about 3 days of taking them daily the bladder infection burn was negligible and the yeast infection was abating. If I stop taking them the infections are back within two weeks. Another bonus is that the ovarian cysts are gone. Maybe it is just a coincidence, but then maybe not. My obstetrician laughs at me and tells me there is no connection, but taking probiotics will continue to remain part of my daily routine anyway. Hopefully this helps someone out there.

Comment from: Kelcy12, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I am a 20 year old, when I was about twelve I was diagnosed with ovarian cysts. I have had them ever since. About a week or two before I get my period I will have up to three or more ruptures, even during my period I would get them. I am not on any birth control. I normally just suffer through the pain or I take pain medication for it. And it mostly happens on my left side.

Comment from: Confused, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I used to have severe lower back pains, which started about 4 years ago. I used to diagnose myself of dehydration as I thought they were kidney pains, and used to drink 5 to 6 glasses of water every time the pain started, which resulted in subsiding of the pain. Three months ago, when my pain did not go away by drinking water (in fact I vomited all the water I drank), I got an ultrasound and some tests done which told me that I had bilateral ovarian cysts (left side=5.5cm, right side=11cm). I had to get a laparotomy done to get both of them removed. However, 3 months after my operation my ultrasound shows that my ovaries give a polycystic appearance. All my hormones are in their normal ranges, and I don't have very irregular periods, nor do I have any facial hair which are all symptoms of polycystic ovarian syndrome. My doctor has prescribed me Glucophage that I have to take every day. What I'd really like to know is whether or not I have slight or plain polycystic ovaries or do I have PCOS, as knowing will make me accept my condition better.

Comment from: jen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have pain, excruciating pain, bleeding, nausea, fatigue, and dizziness because of ovarian cysts.

Ovarian Cysts - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your ovarian cysts?
Ovarian Cysts - Pregnancy Experience Question: Was an ovarian cyst discovered on an ultrasound while you were pregnant? Please describe your experience.