Patient Comments: Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms

The symptoms of ovarian cysts can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: luckylila, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I'm 51 and pretty sure it is perimenopause. I have had irregular periods, spotting, then nothing for weeks, then spotting, and regular period. This has been going on for about 3 months. I had anxiety so bad I went to the emergency room. I had an ache on my left side. They did a chest and abdominal CT scan with nothing in the results. Everything looked ok except for a cyst on left ovary. I was still worried and went to the gynecologist, and had a pelvic and transvaginal ultrasound. I am going again next month because it showed slight thickening of the cyst and a fibroid. This pain, or ache I should say, is persisting, sometimes worse than others. It sometimes feels like a gas bubble, even gets under my rib and then is gone. I have no insurance so am trying not to panic but need to have some feedback on what next I should have done.

Comment from: keebler1012, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I recently had an ovarian cyst rupture. They ran a CT scan because they originally thought it was appendicitis. Well, the cyst ruptured and there was fluid in my abdomen. He said that that was what was causing my stomach pain. But now I am having severe leg pain. It is hurting close to where it ruptured and on down into my leg, sometimes sharp. I don't know if this is related. But the cyst ruptured 12 days ago and they still saw fluid 3 days ago. The pain is aggravating. Makes me not want to walk.

Comment from: ECRia90, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I am 26 years old and have been diagnosed with ovarian cysts since I was 15. I have had severe cases of pain every so often, only two that sent me to the hospital or the doctor. I have had one rupture (which was when I was 15 when it was first discovered). In the past month I have had pain every so often, nausea, I am bloated, and I have moments of not being hungry. I have been told tender breasts can be associated with ovarian cysts but only a specific kind. I am going to see a doctor soon about it, but I am hoping to be pregnant, not having a bad cysts.

Comment from: Rose W, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

Just today I had severe abdominal pain on the left side and went to the emergency room. They ordered blood tests and urine sample before finally ordering a CT scan. From there the doctor found quite a large cyst in my left ovary and prescribed me some pain killers. He only told me to arrange for ultrasound in 4 to 6 weeks' time to see if it is still there as it could disappear on its own. If it is still there then they will need to do surgery to remove it. I only noticed that I felt so bloated in the last week but didn't experience any nausea at all. The pain was so unbearable!

Comment from: Queen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

Some of you may have polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). My daughter had no period before the age of 18. Doctor told her she was lucky, moron! The child went on line and did research and said mom I think I may have PCOS. We went to a doctor again, had her do blood work, etc., and sure enough it was PCOS.

Comment from: kl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I am a 46 year old female. I have lower right pelvic pain where ovary seems to be, for several months. A dull ache noticeable when I lie down at first, now I feel the ache more often, and pressure, urinating more, bloated and feel full quick. I have been noticing this off and on for a few months as I always have right ovary pain during my cycle which lasts a few days. Now it seems to be a constant ache. I am going for a Pap in a few weeks as we have no available family doctor right now. Thinking now I should go to a walk in clinic.

Ovarian Cysts - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your ovarian cysts?
Ovarian Cysts - Pregnancy Experience Question: Was an ovarian cyst discovered on an ultrasound while you were pregnant? Please describe your experience.
Ovarian Cysts - Experience Question: Please share your experience with ovarian cysts.