Patient Comments: Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms

The symptoms of ovarian cysts can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Becca, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I started hormone replacement therapy (HRT), and the doctor was so aggressive with the estrogen, which caused painful cysts on my only ovary. I noticed being full after eating a few bites, not being able to lay on my tummy, nausea all the time, having to pee all the time, then finally to throwing up and not being able to eat. I went to my regular doctor and then to an obstetrician/gynecologist, and had an ultrasound and transvaginal ultra sound. I was in pain for over 2 months. I am off the HRT and starting just now to be able to function. I felt sorry for my husband, I could not do anything, clean, fix dinner, nothing. Ladies, if you feel odd, and your body is telling you something, listen and do not get on hormones!

Comment from: OHR, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I was first diagnosed with an ovarian cyst two years back with no apparent symptom other than the belly enlargement. After the initial diagnosis and several follow-up testing, I was directed to a surgery where my right ovary was operated upon and removed along with the cyst. Ever since, I have been taking norethisterone tablets thrice a day and have got ultrasound scans done in about every six months. Now, I'm married and I'm not sure what to do with my condition. The only thing I'm sure is that I want to stop taking the pill, but am afraid to do so due to possible cysts that may definitely emerge after stopping the medication. I'd be thankful for any valid opinion.

Comment from: Jazz, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I was 18 and on the toilet, I felt like I needed to have a bowel movement but nothing came out. All of a sudden an excruciating pain hit me in the lower abdomen, and I collapsed to the ground unable to move. I thought I was just constipated so instead of calling an ambulance I called a cab and went to the hospital. They did an ultrasound straight away and told me I had a mass that needed to be removed immediately, so sometime later that day I woke up from surgery minus an ovary, fallopian tube and a 17 cm x 15 cm ovarian cyst. For me, up until that day I had no pain, others had noticed my belly swelling but I didn't. Between the ultrasound and surgery I felt my tummy and noticed that it was rock hard, not like a flabby beer belly or a few too many pies, but protruding like a pregnant belly would, firm to touch. A lot of me not noticing anything was my young age. I am 31 now and haven't had any more problems, I also have a beautiful son who was absolutely no trouble at all to conceive.

Comment from: kaiane, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

Last year I had severe back pain, vaginal bleeding and serious pain on the left side. I got diagnosed with kidney infection but the medication didn't work and I went back to the doctor. Then they realized I had an ovarian cyst; nothing but surgery got rid of it. I'm currently in pain on my left side and I went to my nearest doctor who diagnosed me with kidney infection, then yet again I fell for it up until it hit me these are the same symptoms from last time.

Comment from: rosie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I recently went to the doctor because of abdominal pain. Last time when my boyfriend and I were intimate I started bleeding and it was really thick and almost brown. I had also been feeling pressure on my bladder, almost as if I was pregnant. I have been on birth control for 5 years and haven't had a period for 4 years. He did an ultrasound and found about 4 cysts on my left ovary but told me it should be ok and it is normal. Now as I'm reading on them I am a little worried, if my symptoms are pressure and also feeling full with a few bites (I love to eat), maybe I need a new doctor.

Comment from: louise99, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I cannot live like this anymore; every month when I am on my period I am in excruciating pain. I feel like I am in labor and for 4 to 6 hours a day for 4 to 5 days I am in deep pain, contraction like pains actually; well, it feels worse than labor! I'm pouring liters of blood each month, that I cry for hours with all the pain and blood I am not sure if it is cysts in my ovaries or burst cysts.

Ovarian Cysts - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your ovarian cysts?
Ovarian Cysts - Pregnancy Experience Question: Was an ovarian cyst discovered on an ultrasound while you were pregnant? Please describe your experience.