Patient Comments: Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms

The symptoms of ovarian cysts can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Rose W, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

Just today I had severe abdominal pain on the left side and went to the emergency room. They ordered blood tests and urine sample before finally ordering a CT scan. From there the doctor found quite a large cyst in my left ovary and prescribed me some pain killers. He only told me to arrange for ultrasound in 4 to 6 weeks' time to see if it is still there as it could disappear on its own. If it is still there then they will need to do surgery to remove it. I only noticed that I felt so bloated in the last week but didn't experience any nausea at all. The pain was so unbearable!

Comment from: Queen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

Some of you may have polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). My daughter had no period before the age of 18. Doctor told her she was lucky, moron! The child went on line and did research and said mom I think I may have PCOS. We went to a doctor again, had her do blood work, etc., and sure enough it was PCOS.

Comment from: KodaBubbles, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I have lower left abdominal pain and it came on all of a sudden three days ago (10/14/15 today). At first it was a nagging pain and slowly it just got worse. It honestly felt like a muscle strain and since I didn't have any medical insurance, I didn't want to waste everyone's time with going, but today, it just got worse. I was almost doubled over and I was crying. If it hadn't been for that pain today, I wouldn't have gone to the doctor. I told her that I have had this pain in my lower side for about three days and I have also had vaginal bleeding for a month. She asked me if I had any lower back pain and I had some. She seemed really worried about it and did a urinalysis to determine whether or not I was pregnant because it could have possibly been an ectopic pregnancy. The pregnancy test came back negative and she ordered a transvaginal ultrasound. Later that day, the doctor called and said I had cysts on both ovaries, the left side being the worst and that is the side that was hurting me. She also said that she saw some fluid next to the cyst and that she believes that one of them had ruptured. She just wants to monitor me right now and if I have any more pain like this again, I need to go straight to the emergency room. She also prescribed me some pain medicine that I have to get tomorrow. I would have gotten it today, but she was just worried about what was going on.

Comment from: Becca, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I started hormone replacement therapy (HRT), and the doctor was so aggressive with the estrogen, which caused painful cysts on my only ovary. I noticed being full after eating a few bites, not being able to lay on my tummy, nausea all the time, having to pee all the time, then finally to throwing up and not being able to eat. I went to my regular doctor and then to an obstetrician/gynecologist, and had an ultrasound and transvaginal ultra sound. I was in pain for over 2 months. I am off the HRT and starting just now to be able to function. I felt sorry for my husband, I could not do anything, clean, fix dinner, nothing. Ladies, if you feel odd, and your body is telling you something, listen and do not get on hormones!

Comment from: OHR, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I was first diagnosed with an ovarian cyst two years back with no apparent symptom other than the belly enlargement. After the initial diagnosis and several follow-up testing, I was directed to a surgery where my right ovary was operated upon and removed along with the cyst. Ever since, I have been taking norethisterone tablets thrice a day and have got ultrasound scans done in about every six months. Now, I'm married and I'm not sure what to do with my condition. The only thing I'm sure is that I want to stop taking the pill, but am afraid to do so due to possible cysts that may definitely emerge after stopping the medication. I'd be thankful for any valid opinion.

Comment from: alex, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I have lower abdominal pain of ovarian cyst. I have no appetite and I am nauseous for three days.

Ovarian Cysts - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your ovarian cysts?
Ovarian Cysts - Pregnancy Experience Question: Was an ovarian cyst discovered on an ultrasound while you were pregnant? Please describe your experience.