Patient Comments: Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms

The symptoms of ovarian cysts can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: greysmom, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I've had ovarian cysts in the past and never felt like the pain got worse when I would eat, but recently I'm experiencing the worst abdominal pain I've ever had, and my doctor thinks it's gastrointestinal, but I'm having doubts since none of the medicines have made any difference in the pain level.

Comment from: Daisy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I was diagnosed with ovarian cyst 3 months ago when I went to my family doctor. My symptoms are soreness, and bloating like feelings in the lower abdomen on the left side mostly, and it travels down my leg also. I have occasional nausea and lower back pain. Also my breasts are always sore and swollen a bit more than usual.

Comment from: manda, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have had abdominal pain since December. I found out I have 2 ovarian cysts one 10 mm on one ovary and 1.5 cm on the other ovary, I am currently on Depo-Provera and have been for 2 years so I do not have any menstrual cycle at all.

Comment from: ren, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

My symptoms of ovarian cysts were pressure, lower abdominal pain on both sides, bloating, fatigue, back pain, and cramps.

Comment from: youngand scared, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I"m about to be 22 years old and this afternoon I was woken up by severe pain on my right side. My roommate took me to the prompt care and they did a CT scan thinking that it was going to be kidney stones. When the initial report came back they told me that I had an ovarian cyst rupture but that it shouldn"t cause any long term damage. However I should still see my obstetrician/gynecologist to confirm that that is what it was.

Comment from: bjs, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have had several cysts requiring surgical intervention. The pain is a sharp stabbing pain that was on the right lower quarter of my abdomen just slightly above my groin.

Comment from: AJ070214, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I realize that I had pain in the lower area of my right hand side of my stomach and the doctor diagnosed it as appendicitis. The doctor told me once the pain worsened I must go to Accident & Emergency. However, the pain did not worsen but I realized the pain reappeared when I was on my menstrual period like before. I was in so much pain that I went to A & E and the doctor said it seems like it maybe a cyst but I need to have a scan to determine the pain.

Comment from: Jane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I had several years of abnormal heavy bleeding every day. My obstetrician-gynecologist was never concerned. I was in pretty bad shape. I went to a new obstetrician-gynecologist and told him the problem. He really wasn't too concerned either. I was bleeding heavily 24 hours a day. Well, several years later I called the doctor's office and told them I was hemorrhaging. They called me back and told me I had an appointment at a one day surgery clinic. Well, 6 hours later they removed a very large fibrous cyst after which I have been in relative good health.

Comment from: Vero, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was told in a body check that I have got ovarian cysts on the right side 46*48*52cm. I have no pain, and I just feel everything as normal. The doctor told me to conduct the surgery. I really feel reluctant to.

Ovarian Cysts - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your ovarian cysts?
Ovarian Cysts - Pregnancy Experience Question: Was an ovarian cyst discovered on an ultrasound while you were pregnant? Please describe your experience.