Patient Comments: Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms

The symptoms of ovarian cysts can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: vcooper, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 14

My daughter is 15 and she has a cyst every month for the past 5 months. They are getting bigger and the pain is getting stronger each month. The doctors don't tell us much and all they seem to want to do for treatment is give her narcotic pain medicine. I am at a loss and she is so tired and frustrated with the pain and loss of school time.

Comment from: louise99, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I cannot live like this anymore; every month when I am on my period I am in excruciating pain. I feel like I am in labor and for 4 to 6 hours a day for 4 to 5 days I am in deep pain, contraction like pains actually; well, it feels worse than labor! I'm pouring liters of blood each month, that I cry for hours with all the pain and blood I am not sure if it is cysts in my ovaries or burst cysts.

Comment from: layo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

Five years ago I had a miscarriage which led to visiting a doctor for ultra-scan. The result, a small cyst on the left side of the ovary. I did not do anything about it but concentrated on stopping the bleeding and to regulating my hormone (progesterone). Just 3 days ago, I went for an ultra-scan to confirm the position of my womb, only to discover there is a small cyst on the right ovary and the earlier cyst on the left is growing bigger. Doctor advised operation, but I'm very worried, I don't want to be operated upon.

Comment from: greysmom, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I've had ovarian cysts in the past and never felt like the pain got worse when I would eat, but recently I'm experiencing the worst abdominal pain I've ever had, and my doctor thinks it's gastrointestinal, but I'm having doubts since none of the medicines have made any difference in the pain level.

Comment from: Daisy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I was diagnosed with ovarian cyst 3 months ago when I went to my family doctor. My symptoms are soreness, and bloating like feelings in the lower abdomen on the left side mostly, and it travels down my leg also. I have occasional nausea and lower back pain. Also my breasts are always sore and swollen a bit more than usual.

Comment from: manda, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have had abdominal pain since December. I found out I have 2 ovarian cysts one 10 mm on one ovary and 1.5 cm on the other ovary, I am currently on Depo-Provera and have been for 2 years so I do not have any menstrual cycle at all.

Comment from: ren, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

My symptoms of ovarian cysts were pressure, lower abdominal pain on both sides, bloating, fatigue, back pain, and cramps.

Comment from: youngand scared, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I"m about to be 22 years old and this afternoon I was woken up by severe pain on my right side. My roommate took me to the prompt care and they did a CT scan thinking that it was going to be kidney stones. When the initial report came back they told me that I had an ovarian cyst rupture but that it shouldn"t cause any long term damage. However I should still see my obstetrician/gynecologist to confirm that that is what it was.

Comment from: bjs, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have had several cysts requiring surgical intervention. The pain is a sharp stabbing pain that was on the right lower quarter of my abdomen just slightly above my groin.

Ovarian Cysts - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your ovarian cysts?
Ovarian Cysts - Pregnancy Experience Question: Was an ovarian cyst discovered on an ultrasound while you were pregnant? Please describe your experience.