Patient Comments: Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms

The symptoms of ovarian cysts can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Published: July 22

Two months ago I went to the doctor complaining of pelvic pain. He found I had "normal" cyst on both ovaries. A few weeks later I started feeling sick with stomach pain, lower back pain and pelvic pain. A day and half later I was in severe pain and vomiting. I went to the ER where I did mention the cyst but also that I had experienced this similar problem about a year before and the ER doctor at the time diagnosed me with pancreatitis. They ran blood work an everything looked normal so they sent me home with pain pills. I followed up with my gyno doc a couple of weeks later so he could check on the cyst and although they were gone or almost completely gone he now noticed something else, something about "calcium" and he thought it could be a dermoid cyst or maybe cancer. He sent me for the CA-125 blood work and MRI, both looked normal. It's now been a couple more weeks and I am seeing him tomorrow for yet another ultrasound. I am still experiencing constant pelvic pain (not severe), random nausea and occasional lower back and leg aches. I take the pill regularly, daily on at the same time each day. My period 3 months ago was abnormally heavy and lasted one day then 2 mos ago it was very, very light and last about a day. I had some light spotting last month and another very light "period" about a week or so ago that only lasted about a day and a half. This is not normal for me. Since the blood work and MRI came back normal I now have no idea what else the problem could be, or if I should even be concerned.

Comment from: layo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

Five years ago I had a miscarriage which led to visiting a doctor for ultra-scan. The result, a small cyst on the left side of the ovary. I did not do anything about it but concentrated on stopping the bleeding and to regulating my hormone (progesterone). Just 3 days ago, I went for an ultra-scan to confirm the position of my womb, only to discover there is a small cyst on the right ovary and the earlier cyst on the left is growing bigger. Doctor advised operation, but I'm very worried, I don't want to be operated upon.

Comment from: greysmom, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I've had ovarian cysts in the past and never felt like the pain got worse when I would eat, but recently I'm experiencing the worst abdominal pain I've ever had, and my doctor thinks it's gastrointestinal, but I'm having doubts since none of the medicines have made any difference in the pain level.

Comment from: Daisy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I was diagnosed with ovarian cyst 3 months ago when I went to my family doctor. My symptoms are soreness, and bloating like feelings in the lower abdomen on the left side mostly, and it travels down my leg also. I have occasional nausea and lower back pain. Also my breasts are always sore and swollen a bit more than usual.

Comment from: manda, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have had abdominal pain since December. I found out I have 2 ovarian cysts one 10 mm on one ovary and 1.5 cm on the other ovary, I am currently on Depo-Provera and have been for 2 years so I do not have any menstrual cycle at all.

Comment from: ren, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

My symptoms of ovarian cysts were pressure, lower abdominal pain on both sides, bloating, fatigue, back pain, and cramps.

Comment from: youngand scared, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I"m about to be 22 years old and this afternoon I was woken up by severe pain on my right side. My roommate took me to the prompt care and they did a CT scan thinking that it was going to be kidney stones. When the initial report came back they told me that I had an ovarian cyst rupture but that it shouldn"t cause any long term damage. However I should still see my obstetrician/gynecologist to confirm that that is what it was.

Ovarian Cysts - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your ovarian cysts?
Ovarian Cysts - Pregnancy Experience Question: Was an ovarian cyst discovered on an ultrasound while you were pregnant? Please describe your experience.