Patient Comments: Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms

The symptoms of ovarian cysts can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Published: July 22

I have spent the last 3 days in bed with severe abdominal pain, I can compare this only to contractions. My right side has been experiencing shooting pain, around my lower back and thigh and even down my leg. I eventually called my Dr who told me to go to the hospital, as I was in bad pain and felt really weak. After a few tests and lab work they discovered a large cyst on my right ovary that was surrounded with fluid and inflammation. They first thought I was experiencing kidney stones or even a urinary tract infection as there was blood in my urine. The ultra sound showed the cyst. I was sent home with pain pills and told to follow up in the week with my OBGYN.

Published: July 07

Three years while into my second month of pregnancy at 22 years old, I woke up to a sharp pain in my left abdomen, vomiting and couldn't walk. I was rushed into the hospital and diagnosed with a twisted ovarian cyst of 6 x 4 cm. I underwent a laparotomy an hour later and both baby and I were saved. Three years later, I developed the same sharp pain, and now I have to go to surgery again since this time it's a much bigger one (15 x 9 cm) has been detected by an ultrasound scan. I have ignored the twinges for seven months now but recently the pains have become more intense. My doctor says he is worried that it could cause adhesion in case it bursts open in my pelvis. Everybody in my family worries too since no one has had these symptoms before in our history.

Comment from: Chantel, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

The doctor diagnosed me with an ovarian cyst. The pain is getting worse and now I think its influencing my menstrual cycle.

Comment from: alantrika, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I had bad abdominal pain because of ovarian cysts.

Comment from: marissa, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I'm 24 years old and my left side is all swollen and my right side is all push and I get really bad pains. I went for an ultrasound and they said they haven't found anything but they weren"t looking for anything on my ovaries. I think I should go back to the doctor and bring up him to check out my ovaries because I get my period, then for 3 months I don`t. My doctor told me I had irritable bowel syndrome but I think there's more.

Comment from: AndraB, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 03

My daughter has reoccurring ovarian cysts that are extremely painful. She is 22 and this year has had 4 surgeries. The obstetrician-gynecologists (she has seen 11) have tried all conventional options over the years and nothing has helped.

Comment from: Priya, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I am 27 years old. I have my regular periods but with severe stomachache and vomiting. I went for an ultrasound and was reported to have ovarian cysts in both of my ovaries. I was under medication but I still suffer from severe pain during my periods.

Comment from: Leslieo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I am a 66-year-old female who had right hip replacement 4 months ago and I suffered this pain in my right abdomen. I thought it was from the hip but it kept getting worse. Then I got 3 urinary tract infections and finally got diagnosed today after a CT scan with an ovarian cyst which is pretty rare since I have been post menopausal for 19 years!

Published: July 29

I first started having symptoms when my oldest daughter was a baby. I missed my period for four months and thought for sure that I was pregnant again. I went and saw a doctor that said I had a cyst ... no big deal. Shortly after that, I tried for another kid and after a year, I wondered why I hadn't gotten pregnant yet. Six months later, I was having irregular periods and was having sharp pain on my right side. My appendix was taken out three years before this, so I know that it wasn't that. I went to one doctor who said that my ultrasound was clear of anything and when I asked about endometriosis she told me I was too old to have it. She told me that it was "probably" gastrointestinal and to check with a different doctor. So I went to another doctor for a second opinion. She ordered me to have surgery (laparoscopy) to see what was really going on. One week later, I was officially diagnosed with polycystic ovarian disease. She told me that there were a few cysts on my ovaries that wouldn't show up on the ultrasound. She also told me that because of this, my chances of having any more kids would be slim. She removed all the cysts. Two months later, I became pregnant with my second daughter. Since she was born, I have been having problems again. I didn't have my "first" period until my baby was 7 months old, and I have been having a lot of pain. I went to a doctor about it and he told me that I had a cyst on my uterus and gave me pain medications. He doesn't want to do any surgery until my original doctor has a chance to look at me since she was the one who diagnosed me.

Ovarian Cysts - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your ovarian cysts?
Ovarian Cysts - Pregnancy Experience Question: Was an ovarian cyst discovered on an ultrasound while you were pregnant? Please describe your experience.