Patient Comments: Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms

The symptoms of ovarian cysts can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: AndraB, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 03

My daughter has reoccurring ovarian cysts that are extremely painful. She is 22 and this year has had 4 surgeries. The obstetrician-gynecologists (she has seen 11) have tried all conventional options over the years and nothing has helped.

Comment from: Priya, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I am 27 years old. I have my regular periods but with severe stomachache and vomiting. I went for an ultrasound and was reported to have ovarian cysts in both of my ovaries. I was under medication but I still suffer from severe pain during my periods.

Comment from: Leslieo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I am a 66-year-old female who had right hip replacement 4 months ago and I suffered this pain in my right abdomen. I thought it was from the hip but it kept getting worse. Then I got 3 urinary tract infections and finally got diagnosed today after a CT scan with an ovarian cyst which is pretty rare since I have been post menopausal for 19 years!

Published: July 29

I first started having symptoms when my oldest daughter was a baby. I missed my period for four months and thought for sure that I was pregnant again. I went and saw a doctor that said I had a cyst ... no big deal. Shortly after that, I tried for another kid and after a year, I wondered why I hadn't gotten pregnant yet. Six months later, I was having irregular periods and was having sharp pain on my right side. My appendix was taken out three years before this, so I know that it wasn't that. I went to one doctor who said that my ultrasound was clear of anything and when I asked about endometriosis she told me I was too old to have it. She told me that it was "probably" gastrointestinal and to check with a different doctor. So I went to another doctor for a second opinion. She ordered me to have surgery (laparoscopy) to see what was really going on. One week later, I was officially diagnosed with polycystic ovarian disease. She told me that there were a few cysts on my ovaries that wouldn't show up on the ultrasound. She also told me that because of this, my chances of having any more kids would be slim. She removed all the cysts. Two months later, I became pregnant with my second daughter. Since she was born, I have been having problems again. I didn't have my "first" period until my baby was 7 months old, and I have been having a lot of pain. I went to a doctor about it and he told me that I had a cyst on my uterus and gave me pain medications. He doesn't want to do any surgery until my original doctor has a chance to look at me since she was the one who diagnosed me.

Published: July 29

My right side ached (like the feeling you get after running) and I had bad pressure across my belly. It started six months ago, and it doesn't go away unless I sit or lie on my right side. I've had a liver ultrasound, a colonoscopy, a stomach X-ray and a CAT scan, which found a cyst in each kidney and a cyst on each ovary.

Published: July 18

My 21 year old daughter had been complaining of mid cycle pain since she commenced her period. Our GP investigated but did not order any tests. Once the pain was so severe, she required intramuscular pethidine. Eventually, she could handle the pain no longer and I encouraged her to go to another doctor for testing. She had an ultrasound scan which showed a 6cm simple cyst on her right ovary. Two months later a further scan showed the cyst to be 9cm in size. The pain was getting her down. We took her to a gynecologist who performed a laparoscopic procedure to remove the cyst. Whilst doing this, he discovered a previously undiscovered 12cm dermoid cyst on her left ovary. He felt this was the more likely the actual cause of her pain and had probably been growing since puberty. She is recovering now and we hope this will be the end of her ovarian pain. As her mother, I am annoyed I was unable to get doctors to take her pain seriously and perhaps we could have avoided years of unnecessary pain.

Ovarian Cysts - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your ovarian cysts?
Ovarian Cysts - Pregnancy Experience Question: Was an ovarian cyst discovered on an ultrasound while you were pregnant? Please describe your experience.