Patient Comments: Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms

The symptoms of ovarian cysts can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: KLH, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I get occasional ovarian cysts, but they don't hurt. The first time, I was in my mid-30s. I was bleeding between menstrual periods, and the bleeding continued for over a month. It wasn't a lot of blood, but it was worrisome, so my doctor ordered an ultrasound. A 5 cm, blood-filled cyst was discovered. We did nothing but watch, and recheck later to see if it would resolve itself, which it did. I still get them from time to time. I can tell, because I feel a little pinch right around the time I should be ovulating, and then some bleeding. I don't bother to get the ultra-sounds anymore, because they don't hurt and they always resolve themselves. It is always the left ovary. Also, this might be of interest; I was diagnosed with endometriosis at age 43. A laparoscopy revealed that the left ovary, the back of the uterus, and the sigmoid colon were all glued together by endometrial tissue. Possible explanation for the fussy, cyst-forming behavior of that ovary.

Comment from: A Roy, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 31

My daughter is 17+ years old. She has irregular periods, like a gap of 1 month but presently her period stopped last six months. As per doctor's advice, USG (ultrasound scan) has been done and found that there are ovarian cysts. Though, she has no pain. I am very much worried.

Comment from: DJane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

My symptoms of ovarian cysts started with frequent urination (three times an hour on average). I then developed pain on trying to pass stools which developed into constipation. A month later I had bloating, gas and loss of appetite, and feeling full quickly. My cyst went from 2 cm to 4 cm in less than a month. I have suffered from cysts and fibroids all my life, in fact my first ovarian cyst was when I was aged five which was so big I lost my right ovary. Three years ago I had my third large fibroid removed which necessitated a partial hysterectomy leaving only my left ovary. Here I go again with another cyst.

Comment from: Robin, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I was diagnosed with my first cyst when I was 20. It was so painful I had to go to the emergency room. After the pain went away it was several years before I had another one. I was around 25 and was in so much pain I couldn"t even sit. I went to the emergency room and found out it was a double cyst. Now I"m 30, my tubes are tied and it seems like I get them every couple of months. It"s very painful and sometimes nothing helps.

Comment from: alantrika, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

About 2 weeks back I had abdominal pain mostly towards my left side of lower abdomen. I could stay no longer so I went to emergency and underwent an ultrasound. It showed left ovarian hemorrhagic cyst of 4cms and they told me to do tumor markers blood test; reports awaited.

Comment from: SuzyQ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

Last year I went to the emergency room for severe abdominal pain and vaginal bleeding. They told me it was a gall stone and sent me home with some pain medications which I could not take. After suffering through the weekend, I went to see my obstetrician and he told me an ovarian cyst had ruptured and there were several more on each ovary, one quite large and a few small ones. He was not able to tell me how to get rid of them other than surgery and to wait it out and see what happens. Yeast infections and bladder infections have plagued me for as long as I can remember and both were beginning to bother me at the time. While in the store picking up yet another package of vaginal antifungal cream, a woman suggested probiotics. I opted not to buy the cream, went to a health food store and picked up some really good probiotics. After about 3 days of taking them daily the bladder infection burn was negligible and the yeast infection was abating. If I stop taking them the infections are back within two weeks. Another bonus is that the ovarian cysts are gone. Maybe it is just a coincidence, but then maybe not. My obstetrician laughs at me and tells me there is no connection, but taking probiotics will continue to remain part of my daily routine anyway. Hopefully this helps someone out there.

Ovarian Cysts - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your ovarian cysts?
Ovarian Cysts - Pregnancy Experience Question: Was an ovarian cyst discovered on an ultrasound while you were pregnant? Please describe your experience.