Patient Comments: Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms

The symptoms of ovarian cysts can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: manda, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have had abdominal pain since December. I found out I have 2 ovarian cysts one 10 mm on one ovary and 1.5 cm on the other ovary, I am currently on Depo-Provera and have been for 2 years so I do not have any menstrual cycle at all.

Comment from: ren, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

My symptoms of ovarian cysts were pressure, lower abdominal pain on both sides, bloating, fatigue, back pain, and cramps.

Comment from: wakingdiva, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had an ovarian cyst burst and it hemorrhaged into my fallopian tube, this was back in March. The pain isn't as intense but it still is sore, I go in for another ultra sound in June.

Comment from: BINTE, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

When I was 5months pregnant with my 3rd baby, a 5.6cm cyst was diagnosed in my left ovary during ultrasound. I never had pain, but now after 1 year its size is 7cm. I checked with my doctor and they want me to go for surgery as, if the cyst twisted, then they will have to remove my ovary which can cause major problems in future like infertility, obesity and increase of hair growth on the body. I am so confused.

Comment from: Wanda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I am a 39 year old female. About 2 weeks after the end of my period I had a week of spontaneous afternoon cramping. I would be fine in the morning, then all of a sudden at some time in the afternoon I would start cramping real bad. I would take 3 ibuprofen and wait for the cramping to go away. I would be fine in the evening. I was also spotting every day. I have never experienced this before and knew I wasn't having a period. Then, the following week, I noticed that my pelvic area was very sore at times, especially when I pressed down on it a little bit. I went to a medical clinic and on that day (of course) it ended up that I wasn't having the pelvic soreness. She figured I was just getting my period. Then, 4 days later I went to Planned Parenthood (and of course, the pelvic pain was gone again). They thought it was just hormonal changes. Then, a week later, after another week of occasional pelvic tenderness, my pelvic pain came on suddenly and terribly. I couldn't move. I was laying on the floor. I was vomiting and I was alone. I called 911 and went to the hospital. They did an ultrasound and transvaginal ultrasound. They took blood tests. They said I had a 3 cm ovarian cyst (and a few 2 cm ones). They gave me pain medications and said to follow up with the obstetrician and gave me brochures that said most of these cysts resolve themselves within a few weeks. It's only a couple of days later and I'm still having occasional pelvic pain. I worry about having another painful episode, but I will just have to wait and see. I've never had cysts that I know of before.

Published: July 22

Two months ago I went to the doctor complaining of pelvic pain. He found I had "normal" cyst on both ovaries. A few weeks later I started feeling sick with stomach pain, lower back pain and pelvic pain. A day and half later I was in severe pain and vomiting. I went to the ER where I did mention the cyst but also that I had experienced this similar problem about a year before and the ER doctor at the time diagnosed me with pancreatitis. They ran blood work an everything looked normal so they sent me home with pain pills. I followed up with my gyno doc a couple of weeks later so he could check on the cyst and although they were gone or almost completely gone he now noticed something else, something about "calcium" and he thought it could be a dermoid cyst or maybe cancer. He sent me for the CA-125 blood work and MRI, both looked normal. It's now been a couple more weeks and I am seeing him tomorrow for yet another ultrasound. I am still experiencing constant pelvic pain (not severe), random nausea and occasional lower back and leg aches. I take the pill regularly, daily on at the same time each day. My period 3 months ago was abnormally heavy and lasted one day then 2 mos ago it was very, very light and last about a day. I had some light spotting last month and another very light "period" about a week or so ago that only lasted about a day and a half. This is not normal for me. Since the blood work and MRI came back normal I now have no idea what else the problem could be, or if I should even be concerned.

Ovarian Cysts - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your ovarian cysts?
Ovarian Cysts - Pregnancy Experience Question: Was an ovarian cyst discovered on an ultrasound while you were pregnant? Please describe your experience.