Patient Comments: Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms

The symptoms of ovarian cysts can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: alex, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I have lower abdominal pain of ovarian cyst. I have no appetite and I am nauseous for three days.

Comment from: vcooper, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 14

My daughter is 15 and she has a cyst every month for the past 5 months. They are getting bigger and the pain is getting stronger each month. The doctors don't tell us much and all they seem to want to do for treatment is give her narcotic pain medicine. I am at a loss and she is so tired and frustrated with the pain and loss of school time.

Comment from: Rosie C, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I had a ruptured cyst in my left ovary and I also have a 15 mm x 15 mm cyst in the left ovary. I have been severely unwell for a month and I currently still am. I have been put on strong painkillers and 400 mg Brufen 3 times a day. I am worried if this cyst will rupture as well or will it have to be removed. Maybe I need further CT to monitor size, etc.

Comment from: kaiane, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

Last year I had severe back pain, vaginal bleeding and serious pain on the left side. I got diagnosed with kidney infection but the medication didn't work and I went back to the doctor. Then they realized I had an ovarian cyst; nothing but surgery got rid of it. I'm currently in pain on my left side and I went to my nearest doctor who diagnosed me with kidney infection, then yet again I fell for it up until it hit me these are the same symptoms from last time.

Comment from: rosie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I recently went to the doctor because of abdominal pain. Last time when my boyfriend and I were intimate I started bleeding and it was really thick and almost brown. I had also been feeling pressure on my bladder, almost as if I was pregnant. I have been on birth control for 5 years and haven't had a period for 4 years. He did an ultrasound and found about 4 cysts on my left ovary but told me it should be ok and it is normal. Now as I'm reading on them I am a little worried, if my symptoms are pressure and also feeling full with a few bites (I love to eat), maybe I need a new doctor.

Comment from: Ana, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I've always had extremely painful periods, but my cyst rupture was quite a life-scare. On the morning of it, I was on my 1st day and the 1st ten minutes of my menstrual flow. The pain began to worsen from 0 to 100 within several min after I began bleeding. I knew something was very wrong and before I could dial 911 I began passing out and couldn't get up to stand on my feet (for some reason during bad menstrual pain my feet get somewhat paralyzed and I can never walk). After my mom called 911 the paramedics showed up as I was laying on the floor half-conscious. On the way to the hospital, my heart rate began to drop, and I stopped responding to the paramedics. I don't have too many memories of the ambulance ride, but I do remember hearing one of them yell out to another 'her heart-rate is dropping and she's not responding! What should I do?' After hearing that, I got scared for my life. But Thank goodness for the paramedics! They just kept loudly calling my name and trying to wake me back up, warning me if I didn't respond, 'immediate and extreme actions' would be taken to save me. Finally, knowing how bad this might be, I gained strength and tried my best to 'stay with them'. They got me in the hospital and after 7 house of pain medications I finally felt better. The doctor didn't say much besides that I had a ruptured cyst which was shown on the scan and that my body responded in a pretty unusual way when my heart rate began to quickly drop. Which is still unknown why. But he did say it could have possibly been due to the extreme and continuous pain, and the exhaustion from it. He did say that 'once the 1st rupture happens, chances of another 2nd one was much more likely.' I will be talking to my doctor about possibly getting on some form of long term birth control. I am willing to try anything than having to go through that experience again.

Comment from: KLH, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I get occasional ovarian cysts, but they don't hurt. The first time, I was in my mid-30s. I was bleeding between menstrual periods, and the bleeding continued for over a month. It wasn't a lot of blood, but it was worrisome, so my doctor ordered an ultrasound. A 5 cm, blood-filled cyst was discovered. We did nothing but watch, and recheck later to see if it would resolve itself, which it did. I still get them from time to time. I can tell, because I feel a little pinch right around the time I should be ovulating, and then some bleeding. I don't bother to get the ultra-sounds anymore, because they don't hurt and they always resolve themselves. It is always the left ovary. Also, this might be of interest; I was diagnosed with endometriosis at age 43. A laparoscopy revealed that the left ovary, the back of the uterus, and the sigmoid colon were all glued together by endometrial tissue. Possible explanation for the fussy, cyst-forming behavior of that ovary.

Ovarian Cysts - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your ovarian cysts?
Ovarian Cysts - Pregnancy Experience Question: Was an ovarian cyst discovered on an ultrasound while you were pregnant? Please describe your experience.