Patient Comments: Ovarian Cysts - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your ovarian cysts?

Comment from: JustDucky, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

Vitex (chasteberry tree) has utterly helped me control the horrible pain, and has helped to shrink my ovarian cysts considerably. I"ve been taking 800mg once or twice per day for a year now, and can verify the benefits. I still experience some bleeding, particularly while stressed, but the pain is no longer an issue and I can sleep in any position I like without feeling the pain of the cysts.

Comment from: Lacy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

Birth control has been my saving grace with my ovarian cysts. I began my period at 10, and I started to have extremely painful cramps. At 14, I had an ultrasound done and the doctors realized I was forming ovarian cysts on my ovaries during menstruation. I've been on birth control since, and am now 20. I barely have any pain at all during my period now!

Comment from: DanielleL87, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

Surgery was the only thing that helped me with ovarian cysts and when the doctor went in he discovered I had endometriosis and my right ovary was glued to my uterus and pelvic bone which may have been a big reason why my pelvic pain was so bad and wasn't helped by medication.

Comment from: harley16, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 29

My daughter, 20 has been diagnosed with ovarian cysts. She has horrible pain when they occur. She has been told she will have difficulty bearing children and may be infertile. She hasn't had a period in about 1 year. She took the Gardasil shots.

Comment from: nicholev2, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

On February 1, 2010 I had emergency surgery to have my left ovary and tube removed. My ovary was the size of a soft ball and was covered in 5x7 cm cysts. I went to the hospital after ignoring the pain for several months. Now after having the ophorectomy things seemed okay until last year. Now I'm having the same issues with my right side and I'm on my second round of Lupron to help with the cysts. It seems to be helping as of right now.

Comment from: 40something, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I found that I had a basketball-sized ovarian cyst a few years ago and had surgery to remove it shortly after diagnosis. Fortunately it was benign. I thought that I had been gaining weight, even though I was exercising more and trying to watch what I eat. I didn't have pain except on a couple of occasions, when the site of the ovary was extremely painful, like very bad period cramps or labor pains, but then the pain would go away. When the pain became too much to bear at one point, I went to the ER, thinking I had some sort of GI problem, and found out that I had the cyst.

Comment from: Jodie, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 08

Huge cyst! My 14 year old daughter has been a vegetarian for 7 or 8 months. She has lost a lot of weight. We have noticed though that as she has been getting thinner everywhere else, her stomach has not. She now looks about 10 months pregnant. The doctors found an enormous cyst in her ovary. 36x18x47cm. She is going in for surgery Tuesday to have the ovary removed. Although the doctor promised us that she can live a perfectly normal life with one ovary, it still worries me. It's so sad a child her age is going through this!

Comment from: misty6, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I kept on getting the cysts. My first one was when I was 24. I went on the birth control pill and that got rid of it.

Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of ovarian cysts can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Ovarian Cysts - Pregnancy Experience Question: Was an ovarian cyst discovered on an ultrasound while you were pregnant? Please describe your experience.