Patient Comments: Ovarian Cysts - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your ovarian cysts?

Comment from: 40something, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I found that I had a basketball-sized ovarian cyst a few years ago and had surgery to remove it shortly after diagnosis. Fortunately it was benign. I thought that I had been gaining weight, even though I was exercising more and trying to watch what I eat. I didn't have pain except on a couple of occasions, when the site of the ovary was extremely painful, like very bad period cramps or labor pains, but then the pain would go away. When the pain became too much to bear at one point, I went to the ER, thinking I had some sort of GI problem, and found out that I had the cyst.

Comment from: misty6, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I kept on getting the cysts. My first one was when I was 24. I went on the birth control pill and that got rid of it.

Comment from: Jade, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I'm not exactly sure when I first started having problems with ovarian cysts because I had a few stomach pain episodes that we never got to the root of, but it was when I was about 14. Once we figured out what it was when I was 16, and I was basically given three options; remove my ovaries, get pregnant, or go on birth-control. Since the first two were basically not options for me, I went on the pill. It has proved to be quite effective so far and only once or twice since then have I had problems, but I do miss days every so often, so that's probably the problem. I highly suggest this method of treatment.

Comment from: Sdett37, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I have had my right ovary remove because of cysts and scar tissue covers it. Now just my left ovary it has a cyst or cysts on it. I had to take some hormone pills to see if it will go away. I have to go back to the doctor in two weeks to see if it is dissolves. I have been dealing with cyst on my left ovary for awhile. I had a laproscopy last year to drain the cyst on my left ovary but when I went for my checkup this year. I had another cyst on my ovary. It has caused me to have pelvic pain, but I'm having pelvic pain on both sides.

Comment from: sharyn, 45-54 (Patient) Published: April 15

I was 25 years old when I first experienced ovarian cysts my first treatment was a laparoscopy I had 2 cysts drained which were the size of a walnut then several months later I was back in again. This time removing a cyst the size of a lemon and part of my ovary as well. I was so terrified because I wanted children in the future. I am 45 years old now with 4 children including a set of twins have not had any problems with cysts until now ''here I go again.''

Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of ovarian cysts can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Ovarian Cysts - Pregnancy Experience Question: Was an ovarian cyst discovered on an ultrasound while you were pregnant? Please describe your experience.