Patient Comments: Ovarian Cysts - Pregnancy Experience

Was an ovarian cyst discovered on an ultrasound while you were pregnant? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: Maureen U., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I am 6 weeks and 2 days pregnant, I went for ultrasound and found I have 5 cm weight of ovarian cyst on my right ovary. I'm scared though the doctor said it is nothing to worry about that it can even dissolve on its own. Initially I was having cramps and abdominal pains but they have reduced. I want to know if there is anything I can do.

Comment from: H3ath3rlk, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I was rushed to emergency room one evening with severe, almost immobilizing pain in my lower left abdomen. After many questions and tests I was diagnosed with a torsion of my left ovary. I had so many cysts that my ovary had begun to twist and cut off its own blood supply (explained to me like how a water balloon if you hold it at the neck the weight makes it "spin"). They did emergency surgery to remove the ovary. When I came out of the recovery room the nurse said "congratulations you're 15 weeks pregnant with twins". They are stable and healthy. So eighteen years later I'm living proof that being pregnant and ovarian cysts is "doable".

Comment from: ummiumayma, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had a pregnancy test March 10th and it was positive. By April 24th I started bleeding seriously and went to see a gynecologist, did some scanning and he said I had a cyst in my left ovary and I had to be operated immediately. Now I am 7 weeks pregnant and I have been having abdominal cramps. I went to see a gynecologist who did a scanning and said there is a cyst in my left ovary again. He also said I need to rest a lot.

Comment from: Bev, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 17

I was told I had an ovarian cyst during an ultrasound in my last pregnancy 4 years ago and was told it was nothing to worry about. Now I am suffering from a bloated hard stomach, I wonder if anyone else has experienced this as I have heard cysts can cause abdominal bloating.

Comment from: Mommyof3tobe, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I was 8 weeks pregnant when I started cramping. I didn't think much about it since I had no bleeding and could proceed during the painful moments. At an 11 week check-up I mentioned to the doctor and showed to her a spot in my lower right side of sever, sharp random pains that had been going on for about a week at that point. She was a little concerned since I miscarried 4 months before and had a D&C. There was still no bleeding or anything specific that triggered it. She scheduled an ultrasound at 13.5 weeks. What she thought was just growing ligament pain, turned out to be a very large cyst on my right ovary. She said it would soon rupture on its own and gave me pain pills to help me through the rupture. At 15 weeks on the nose, I knew it right away, it ruptured. The pain was in the same spot, just more immense. I curled up in a ball and cried. Vomited for the next 2 days even with the meds. At my 16 week appointment, they did an ultrasound and it showed the cyst was gone, had fully cleared up and me and the baby had made it through fine and healthy. Now 28 weeks and have had no issues since. Never new PCOS would cause this issue during a pregnancy. Rare, but it happens. Mention everything, minute or not, to your doctor at all times!

Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of ovarian cysts can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Ovarian Cysts - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your ovarian cysts?