Patient Comments: Ovarian Cancer - Treatments

What was the treatment for your ovarian cancer?

Comment from: secwife47, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had several bladder infections that wouldn't go away. I had bad pain in my upper leg area close to my groin area. I finally had to go to the emergency room, the pain was so bad. They found a 6 inch mass on my right ovary. I had a total hysterectomy. It's almost a year now and I'm doing ok so far. I had stage 1 uterine cancer and also ovarian cancer, but my Cervix was ok. I was having pain in my lower stomach area and also slight bleeding. I was told the leg pain wasn't caused by my cancer. But it is all gone since the surgery.

Comment from: susieeeeeeee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I will be 63 years old on Oct 21. On Jan. 27, 1987, (26 years ago) I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Before being diagnosed, I had severe lower back pain, and woke up hemorrhaging 3 months prior to that. So a full hysterectomy was performed in February. It showed that I had papillary carcinoma endometriosis ovarian cancer, stage 4 with lymph node involvement. I then started 6 months of chemotherapy.

Comment from: lin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I am a 14 year ovarian and uterine cancer survivor. I am alive today because of early detection by my family doctor. Cancer can be beaten with early detection and although the radiation was unpleasant, I made a full recovery with the help of my family. Cancer teaches you to live each day to the fullest. In the 14 years since my recovery, my son has graduated from University, married a lovely lady and they had our first grandson six weeks ago. My husband and I also celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary this year. I am blessed!

Comment from: sonia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

The surgeon said that I was stuck between a rock and a hard place and that she was as well because of a chemo test being non-responsive. She said we would have to wait and watch. This is supposed to be the normal treatment for stage 1 grade c ovarian cancer. I was sick for a few years before anyone would listen to me and almost died before it was taken care of. I just thank God that I didn't. I am only 44 years old and my surgery was one year ago. Make someone listen to you, especially those of you without some kind of insurance.

Comment from: LoveTheBeach, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I was at my daughter's home for her baby shower. The next day I woke up in intense pain and went to the ER where a CT scan showed a large mass in my pelvis the size of a grapefruit. The ER doctor saved my life by doing a scan and not dismissing my symptoms as gastrointestinal, etc. I had no symptoms other than feeling full quickly while eating, but I was caring for my elderly mother and thought it was stress. By the time I had surgery two weeks later the tumor had grown to the size of a cantaloupe. Stage 1c/LMP, surgery, no treatments. Five year surveillance. I am lucky.

Comment from: gkb12, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 17

My treatment for ovarian cancer was that I was given eight rounds of chemotherapy consisting of Cisplatin, Taxol, 38 hours in time each. A three to four day stay in the hospital per treatment.

Comment from: lynn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I had been having severe back pain to be told it was arthritis and sciatica. I kept asking for an X-ray.the doctor referred me reluctantly to a clinic for an assessment. I had an MRI and two large cysts were found. I had a full hysterectomy and the cysts removed, but they were borderline so I have six monthly checks as there is a possibility they could return as malignant. I had no symptoms to make me suspicious other than a bloating feeling and weight gain which I thought was due to the menopause.

Ovarian Cancer - Symptoms Question: For ovarian cancer, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Ovarian Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How did your ovarian cancer diagnosis come about?
Ovarian Cancer - Stages Question: What stage was your ovarian cancer when you were diagnosed?
Ovarian Cancer - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis of your ovarian cancer?