Patient Comments: Ovarian Cancer - Symptoms

For ovarian cancer, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Published: May 28

I had ovarian cancer eight years ago and had a hysterectomy, appendectomy, and omentumectomy, followed by chemotherapy. My initial symptoms were very strange, firstly with altered taste and smell. I was uanable to eat because everything tasted so vile and altered. I lost 8 stone and slowly deteriorated over several weeks. I ended up practically bedridden by weakness. Many tests for stomach bugs were all futile. I eventually got so weak I told my GP I thought I was dying. He palpated my abdomen and found a large mass. Within two weeks, I was in the hospital and feeling much better. The cancer was encapsulated in a very large football-size cyst, which was removed successfully. Six months of chemo followed, with regular nonevasive check-ups. It is all just a memory now.

Comment from: Momof41982, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I am a 31 year old mother of 4. For the last year I have been in and out of my doctor's office with issues; kidney infections, bladder issues, and spotting and bleeding unrelated to my period. I went in 6 days ago and sat down and talked to my doctor. I"m always bloated. I have horrible gas and indigestion that never goes away. I"ve started having pain and a heavy feeling on the lower left side of my abdomen, and constipation for no reason. I have little to no appetite, and even when I do sit down to eat, I can"t finish my plate of food without feeling sick. My energy level is nonexistent. I struggle to get dressed and care for my family and house. He checked my abdomen and found a large lump. I"ve now gone for blood work and am waiting an ultrasound and other tests. He thinks its ovarian cancer. My maternal grandmother passed away from this when she 51 years old. And my 42 year old aunt (my mom's baby sister) passed away last year from ovarian cancer as well. Things seem to be happening very fast, and there really isn"t anyone around to talk to about it. My husband is terrified and I feel like talking to him makes it harder for him. It"s a lonely feeling going through this without someone to talk to about it.

Comment from: Bowe, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I had severe lower back pain, nausea, tiredness and bleeding after many years of not having a period. I went to the gyno and she did a pap smear and some other tests. Everything came back normal. I went to my doctor, and he performed a pelvic MRI, which found the mass on my ovary. I went back to my gyno, and she ordered an ultrasound. Within three weeks of that, I went to see an oncologist. It is important to have a team of doctors helping you. If you know something is wrong with your body, pursue it with a vengeance. I have had the full ovarian cancer surgery and continue to be examined every three months.

Comment from: LuckyDuck, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I am 33 and was recently diagnosed with ovarian cancer. My symptoms were: sharp painful sides, weight gain, and what I thought was a urine infection. I felt as if I needed to pee a lot but then always felt as if I hadn't gone. In my later stages, my symptoms were: kidney infections, back aches, and 4.5 pounds of weight gain by the time my operation had taken place. Inside my left ovary was a small, grade 1 tumor. After they removed it, I had six months of chemo and a 90% chance of survival. The odds are good that this will not come back. I can still go on to have children.

Comment from: bandnshaw, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I felt some pain in my right upper rib cage when I breathed deeply. My doctor's x-ray showed fluid in the lung cavity and I was referred to my oncologist. I have had breast cancer in both my breasts and had mastectomies 7 years apart, but they were both stage zero. He wanted to be sure it wasn't breast cancer and it wasn't. It took 2 1/2 months to correctly diagnose ovarian cancer after all kinds of scans and tests. I finished chemotherapy 3 1/2 months ago, but my doctor told me today that my CA-125 test has risen from a low of 7, then 12, then 20, and today 42. I will add that I had the BRCA1 test and result was negative.

Ovarian Cancer - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your ovarian cancer?
Ovarian Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How did your ovarian cancer diagnosis come about?
Ovarian Cancer - Stages Question: What stage was your ovarian cancer when you were diagnosed?
Ovarian Cancer - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis of your ovarian cancer?