Patient Comments: Ovarian Cancer - Symptoms

For ovarian cancer, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Zara, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I need your help on a health problem I've been having the entire past year. I've been experiencing lower abdominal pain, constipation, and a bloated stomach. In the first months I was tested positive for Urinary tract infection so I was given antibiotics treatment but the pain continued even months after that. The Echography and MRI of the stomach did not show anything but the CT-Scan showed that I have an ovarian cyst but not on the side where I usually have pain. It also showed a possible tumor in my liver. My doctor still does not have a clear diagnosis but I am starting to think that I might have ovarian cancer. What would you recommend me to do? Am I allowed to simply request a test for ovarian cancer from my doctor or is this something that the doctor should decide on?

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I'm a 30 year old caucasian female with no family history and none of the risk factors, except that I've never had children. I had a large, rapid-growing tumor on my right ovary. From June to September, it increased from 2.0 cm to 4.5 cm. With that I had constant pain in my abdomen, back, and hip. Around early August, I had frequent urination due, I believe, to the tumor's location near my bladder. Last week, the tumor and my right ovary were removed. My doctor did not find where the tumor had spread and I am considered tumor/cancer free pending the pathology report.

Comment from: Aku313, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 20

My wife was diagnosed with these very symptoms in the summer. Luckily, she is still alive. She was screened 3 months too late. These are hardly unique cases. Are all the doctors saving employers money or playing golf. I mean hello, in a big way. If there is swelling in stomach, pain, maybe a screening is in order. Not maybe, definitely. Sooner, not later. It may cost 1000 dollars, whatever, and your doctor will always have an escape, but it may save a life.

Comment from: Fran 3, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I too had the bloating and constipation. When diagnosed the tumor was the size of a large grapefruit and in 2 weeks it had grown to the size of a basketball. When I had the surgery it was wrapped around my colon. The doctor took her hands and unwrapped it from my colon. It had spread to the other ovary and that was all. I had a total hysterectomy and am very happy to be alive. It was a 2c stage and I hope for a full recovery.

Comment from: kennedyr07, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

Fatigue, depression, bloating, upset stomach, abdominal pain, tightness in the ankles, denial, frequent urination, sore bladder when I had to urinate, pressure under breasts and in abdominal area.

Ovarian Cancer - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your ovarian cancer?
Ovarian Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How did your ovarian cancer diagnosis come about?
Ovarian Cancer - Stages Question: What stage was your ovarian cancer when you were diagnosed?
Ovarian Cancer - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis of your ovarian cancer?