Patient Comments: Ovarian Cancer - Symptoms

For ovarian cancer, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: CatNhd, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 19

My sister-in-law has been fighting cancer for the last 21 years. She and her sister tested positive for the gene. She has had both her breast removed with cancer, has had ovarian cancer (stage 3 or 4), and has had a reoccurrence of the ovarian cancer. She has not gone into remission since the reoccurance of the ovarian cancer. She is filling up with fluid. Now they know the cancer is still there, but they do not know where it is. The CAT scans are showing nothing. So please, stay on your doctors, always.

Comment from: Proud Momma, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I found out I had ovarian cancer when I was 20 weeks pregnant. About a month after we found out, I started getting so sick that they diagnosed me with hyper-something (basically throwing up anytime something went into me). Finally, I had an ultrasound, and they found what they thought was a cyst. A week later, another ultrasound showed it had grown. I was told it had to be removed or it could kill the baby. So when I was 20 weeks pregnant, they did the surgery. I had one ovary removed and part of the other along with my appendix. Everything is fine now. My baby is 7 months old. I am now 24 years old. This happened one year ago. I will be tested for the next five years.

Comment from: Blondie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I am 37 years old and have had digestive problems all my life, so when I was always bloated and my clothes were tight, change in bowel habits, pain in my lower abdomen, I thought nothing of it. However, I went to my doctor anyway. He sent me for a CT scan after an exam, and I am scheduled for surgery in four days for my ovarian cancer. He is a wonderful doctor and hopefully, we caught it early.

Comment from: karstr, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

My symptoms for ovarian cancer were feeling like I had a bladder infection and abdominal pain. The worst pain was the very low backache that never went away and feeling tired all the time.

Published: June 17

I experienced primarily feelings of pressure and fullness in my abdomen, and my clothes getting tighter. Over 2-3 months I had 3 short episodes of severe stomach cramps resulting in vomiting. The third episode lasted intermittently for 3 days, and I sought treatment. My primary physician thought she felt a mass (missed by an acute care center) and sent me for CT scan, which picked up a 13-cm ovarian cyst. Surgery revealed a type 1A cystadenocarcinoma.

Published: June 17

Constant sharp pain in my lower left abdomen near hip.

Published: June 11

I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in April 2007. My symptoms were a swollen stomach, which turned out to be a large cyst that was the size of a football when they removed it. When it was tested, it was malignant. Following further investigation, I underwent a hysterectomy followed by chemotherapy. I'm feeling good now. Well, so far, so good.

Published: June 09

My experience to finding out I had ovarian cancer was that I felt fine except my belly kept getting bigger like pregnancy. In a matter of two weeks, it looked like I was nine months pregnant. The doctor said 3 liters of fluid was building up inside me. I had a CAT scan but it didn't see much because of the fluid. Then I had an ultrasound: Bingo. I had surgery, chemo, and now I'm in remission. I continue to do blood work, follow my five-month checkups with my doctor, and keep a positive attitude, a lot of strength, and courage.

Published: June 06

I had a period for 1 day then I keep losing brown discharge not all the time but every now and then plus little very small clot that just happen once its just the brown discharge when I wipe myself.

Ovarian Cancer - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your ovarian cancer?
Ovarian Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How did your ovarian cancer diagnosis come about?
Ovarian Cancer - Stages Question: What stage was your ovarian cancer when you were diagnosed?
Ovarian Cancer - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis of your ovarian cancer?