Patient Comments: Ovarian Cancer - Symptoms

For ovarian cancer, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: diana, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I am very concerned about ovarian cancer, it has been 8 months now, I have bad back pain and pain in my sides. I have also been bleeding on and off for 8 months, (weeks of bleeding then 3 days of non-bleeding then it starts again). I feel nauseous and full.

Comment from: taylor19, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I am 19 years old and have PCOS (poly cystic ovary syndrome). I always have pain but this pain is different this time, it is really severe pain and hurts all the way in the middle above my pelvic area. It hurts so badly and the hospital said last time I came in there they exhausted all there options because I came in for the same thing twice. I am worried about ovarian cancer.

Comment from: Beth, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I had problems with urination and thought of seeing a urologist or my obstetrician/gynecologist. Thank heavens I chose the latter. I had felt an unusual hardness in my pelvic region. It was initially diagnosed as a cyst, and that needed a CT scan. My Insurance would not allow this. Three months later, my wonderful gynecological oncologist, was able to approve the CT scan. He discovered a tumor that had encapsulated my right ovary, uterus and bladder. He removed it all! (With the exception of my bladder.) My lymph nodes were negative for cancer and after 4 months of preventative chemotherapy, a CT scan yesterday showed that in fact, I am cancer free. I was told that had I waited 2 additional months for my CT scan, I would have been dead. Fight for your insurance, ladies!

Comment from: concerned, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have been feeling bloated and have a feeling of fullness no appetite at all. I have pain in my right side when I walk my dogs. I feel fatigue feeling and very moody. I have been tested and a CT scan and still no answers! I am concerned about ovarian cancer.

Comment from: Momof41982, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I am a 31 year old mother of 4. For the last year I have been in and out of my doctor's office with issues; kidney infections, bladder issues, and spotting and bleeding unrelated to my period. I went in 6 days ago and sat down and talked to my doctor. I"m always bloated. I have horrible gas and indigestion that never goes away. I"ve started having pain and a heavy feeling on the lower left side of my abdomen, and constipation for no reason. I have little to no appetite, and even when I do sit down to eat, I can"t finish my plate of food without feeling sick. My energy level is nonexistent. I struggle to get dressed and care for my family and house. He checked my abdomen and found a large lump. I"ve now gone for blood work and am waiting an ultrasound and other tests. He thinks its ovarian cancer. My maternal grandmother passed away from this when she 51 years old. And my 42 year old aunt (my mom's baby sister) passed away last year from ovarian cancer as well. Things seem to be happening very fast, and there really isn"t anyone around to talk to about it. My husband is terrified and I feel like talking to him makes it harder for him. It"s a lonely feeling going through this without someone to talk to about it.

Comment from: Bowe, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I had severe lower back pain, nausea, tiredness and bleeding after many years of not having a period. I went to the gyno and she did a pap smear and some other tests. Everything came back normal. I went to my doctor, and he performed a pelvic MRI, which found the mass on my ovary. I went back to my gyno, and she ordered an ultrasound. Within three weeks of that, I went to see an oncologist. It is important to have a team of doctors helping you. If you know something is wrong with your body, pursue it with a vengeance. I have had the full ovarian cancer surgery and continue to be examined every three months.

Comment from: LuckyDuck, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I am 33 and was recently diagnosed with ovarian cancer. My symptoms were: sharp painful sides, weight gain, and what I thought was a urine infection. I felt as if I needed to pee a lot but then always felt as if I hadn't gone. In my later stages, my symptoms were: kidney infections, back aches, and 4.5 pounds of weight gain by the time my operation had taken place. Inside my left ovary was a small, grade 1 tumor. After they removed it, I had six months of chemo and a 90% chance of survival. The odds are good that this will not come back. I can still go on to have children.

Ovarian Cancer - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your ovarian cancer?
Ovarian Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How did your ovarian cancer diagnosis come about?
Ovarian Cancer - Stages Question: What stage was your ovarian cancer when you were diagnosed?
Ovarian Cancer - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis of your ovarian cancer?