Patient Comments: Ovarian Cancer - Symptoms

For ovarian cancer, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Shawntee_lee, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I haven't gotten an answer to my symptoms yet; I'm waiting to see a doctor who actually cares. My symptoms started over three months ago. It started out with what I thought was a bladder infection – having to pee all the time, burning, odor, and cloudy pee. I went and got tested for that and was told I had no infection. Then I noticed my stomach starting to swell up to the point that I looked like I was 7 or 8 months pregnant! I had gained 22 pounds in two weeks, which was odd, because I was working out and hadn't changed my eating habits. Also, I started having a dull ache/ heaviness on the left side in my pelvis area, which then traveled to my lower back and into my thighs. It's a dull ache that is constant every day. Also, I'm having issues with constipation, gas, and extreme fatigue. I can't even go out with my friends because I just don't have the energy. I feel like I'm falling apart.

Comment from: Terri-lee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I'm 61 years old and have been unwell for about six months. I've gone to the doctor, who just gives me pills. Last month, things seem to be getting a lot worse – bloating, feeling full, lower back pain, no energy, tired, etc. I've asked my doctor to test for ovarian cancer. Today I'm having a blood text and next week I'm having a CT scan. I'm so worried that it might be ovarian cancer. I'm also concerned about the time it has taken to get tested since my first symptoms. Now I don't feel like eating, and even walking is painful. I just feel so sick and very tired. I hope I'm not over-reacting in thinking it could be ovarian cancer. I feel all alone.

Comment from: Angel55, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have IBS my entire life. I had two breast surgeries two times on both breasts to remove benign cysts. For two weeks felt tired and no appetite. Lower left abdominal pain then spread to right side then to entire abdomen. I had extremely painful bowel movements. I got a CT scan, which showed advanced me I'm losing intestines also.

Comment from: groovygal, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer at the age of 24. The symptoms I experienced were occasional pains in the top of my thighs, and abdominal cramps that I attributed to an intestinal virus. Lastly, looking and feeling bloated, and my clothes were tight. I looked pregnant! After I was promoted at work, I had to have a routine physical where the doctor who examined me discovered my abdominal cyst, he advised me to go to my ob/gyn and get an ultrasound. The ultrasound showed a mass which had to be removed but we did not have the technology we have today - nobody even thought of cancer. As a result, I had stage 2 ovarian cancer, so I had a complete abdominal hysterectomy, followed by 9 months of chemo, then a 2nd look laparotomy 10 months later. I have been blessed with good health and a great family. I got married to a wonderful guy and in 1996 I became a mom when we adopted a baby! I'm still here!

Comment from: forgotten, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I have experienced mild to moderate consistent pericardial effusion (pericarditis) which is chest pressure with chest and upper back burning pain with dry cough and nausea and diarrhea and pressure that goes up and down depending on how much pain and chest pressure I have that day, and shortness of breath. Legs and feet hurt and I am fatigued. I have gradually and slowly become more ill over time with the body constantly struggling to adjust to the increase in symptoms. Now, it hurts to digest food. And, I like to eat so now it has gotten serious for me. I became ill on October 14, 2004. Doctors have told me the following: you have stress, depression, anxiety, persistent mild to moderate pericardial effusion, fibromyalgia, menopause, cervical stenosis. It is all in your mind perhaps this medication can help. A doctor finally gave me an MRI on July, 2008. Guess what was found? No one was willing to check me for cancer. Why? They checked me for MS, infections, heart problems, arthritis, lupus, psychological problems, respiratory problems, etc. but refused to check me for cancer.

Ovarian Cancer - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your ovarian cancer?
Ovarian Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How did your ovarian cancer diagnosis come about?
Ovarian Cancer - Stages Question: What stage was your ovarian cancer when you were diagnosed?
Ovarian Cancer - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis of your ovarian cancer?