Patient Comments: Swimmer's Ear - Symptoms

Describe the symptoms you experienced with swimmer's ear. What were your first symptoms?

Comment from: maddire .R, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I experienced swimmer's ear the day I went swimming. My ear started to hurt and by evening my ear was swollen shut. I have been putting peroxide in it for two days now and it has done nothing. I am able to make my ear pop but besides that it did nothing.

Comment from: Willprat, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 06

First time swimmer's ear has happened to me, the pain is horrendous. My ear feels full and feels like it is going to explode. My gums on the right are aching, also jaw, and it is hard to eat. It is stopping me from sleeping. I am on antibiotic. I think they are a waste of time. I also feel pulse in my ear along with other symptoms. I am in agony and cannot sleep.

Comment from: Scuba Diver, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I am a scuba diving instructor and dive on a daily basis in the pool during teaching or in open water. In the last few years I encountered only 3-4 times ear problems, but not severe. Usually it's gone in 3 to 7 days maximum spread over a long time. Lately after a dive I had a feeling of fullness, as if water was trapped in my ear. I was jumping up and down to get the trapped water out, however not much success. Next day, this feeling continued but no pain. So I went diving, making one of my worst health mistakes. During the dive my ear started to hurt, even though I could equalize perfectly, so inside the ear, everything was apparently okay. Next dive, it got worse. I went to the doctor the same day, who explained to me that the ear canal was so swollen that he can't see the eardrum. So no diving for 2 weeks. I'm using Augmentin, and ofloxacin ear drops. First week I had immense pain, second week no pain or just a little. I went to the doctor again, just to get a clearance for diving. Bang! Perforated eardrum, 6-8 weeks no diving. Now I'm on ciprofloxacin and again on ofloxacin ear drops. So I don't know if the rupture was there from the beginning or developed later. If you have any kind of ear anomaly don't go swimming or never ever go diving!

Comment from: WaterBaby75, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I am a Pisces and a water lover by nature! I recently moved into a lakefront condo with a beautiful swimming pool, so my husband and children and I all took swims on a regular basis, sometimes as often as three or more times a week. I had only heard of swimmer's ear but had never experienced it firsthand. On a Friday evening at around 6, I noticed my ear beginning to itch. The itching went on throughout the night, and by the next Saturday morning, I woke up with crust around the opening of the ear and it felt full like I had water in it. I used Q-tips to try to clear the "water-in-the-ear" feeling (which I can't stand!), but it didn't help. This went on throughout the day. I woke up Sunday morning at around 2:30 a.m. in excruciating pain. The whole side of my right face was swollen and throbbing in pain. I knew it was the ear, but I also felt pain in my head, face, neck, throat, and jaw. It was the worst pain I've ever felt in my life! I ended up in the ER where they informed me that I had otitis externa (swimmer's ear) and prescribed antibiotic and numbing eardrops. I will never ever swim again without earplugs!

Comment from: Jelly, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I have an ear infection (swimmer's ear) since last 15 days. I have tried many things to get rid of it. But nothing works. Then I saw your ideas regarding this. It seems interesting as well as excellent. Now I am going to apply your ideas. Thanks for sharing wonderful ideas!

Comment from: kevin_farhan, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 05

My kids get hit with swimmer's ear pretty hard, especially during the summertime months in Seattle. We're pretty uncomfortable using drop style methods since they're a nightmare to administer to our kids. My wife found a device that vibrates the lodged water out of your ear canal. It works pretty well.

Swimmer's Ear - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including ear drops, do you use for swimmer's ear? What works best?
Swimmer's Ear - Prevention Question: If you're prone to swimmer's ear, how do you prevent it each time you go swimming?
Swimmer's Ear - Children Question: Does your child get swimmer's ear often? If so, what treatments have you found effective?
Swimmer's Ear - Experience Question: Please share your experience with swimmer's ear.