Patient Comments: Osteoporosis - Symptoms

What were your symptoms at the onset of your osteoporosis?

Comment from: ewcollins, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 15

In 2008, I asked my physician for a bone density scan. They said, "No, you have no risk factors." In 2009, I asked my new physician for a bone density scan. Again, they said, "No, you have no risk factors." In 2010, I asked yet another new physician for a bone density scan. They reluctantly agreed. It turned out that I have osteoporosis of the lumbar spine and osteopenia of the left hip and left femoral neck. I wish that I had found out about this in 2008, when I first asked. One need not have any symptoms or risk factors to get osteoporosis. Everyone over 50 should have a DEXA scan.

Comment from: jennwright, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

My first symptoms started when I was 36: I started having chest pain. X-rays didn't show anything, so I went for four months trying to convince my numerous doctors that it wasn't going away, and that it changed sites. Finally, they sent me to a pain specialist, who looked at my four-month-old x-rays and saw six bilateral rib fractures. The radiologist hadn't caught them when the films were taken because my bones were already too transparent. I ended up having 44 known a traumatic rib fractures (three broke during a lung-capacity test) within eleven months. I've since had a few minor fractures (rib, scapula) but nothing major since I started on Reclast (zoledronic acid).

Comment from: Joe Med., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I am a patient of severe Ankylosing Spondylitis. The first symptoms were at the age of 14 (now 61). This was diagnosed at age 24, having started the medication of anti-inflammatories, from the Butazolidin, Voix (just to name a few) and lastly Humira. The effect of the Humira was positive as it alleviated pain and increased flexibility. The side effects directly linked with this treatment were: Dermatitis in various parts of the body. Blisters and subsequent dry skin on the scalp; Dry skin in the ears and behind; rash on the groin and buttocks. Soon (about 2 Months) after commencing the Humira treatment, pain began to be evident on the right leg (Femur), to the extent that strong pain killers were required to alleviate the pain. (This is the same leg that was subjected to a "Hip-Replacement" 4 Years ago). "X" Rays and a CT scan was conducted. The results indicate that there is a "Pinched Nerve" on the lower back, thus causing the pain. It also concluded that there is a severe case of "Osteoporosis.” The multiple exams, X-Rays and tests never indicated the presence of "Osteoporosis.” Today's results indicate severe.

Comment from: caregiver, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 17

I have taken Boniva for about 18 months. The doctor tells me my bone density test is worse. My daughter is a Veterinarian. She suggested a Gluten Free diet. She feels I am not absorbing the Boniva or the daily doses of Calcium with D. I could have Celiac Disease which does not allow absorption of certain medications and foods. I went to my Internist. He did a panel of tests for Celiac. It was negative. My daughter says this is because I was already on a GF diet for 3 weeks. My Internist disagrees. I do not want to take any more medication. Do you have any suggestions? I walk a great deal and run up and down our steps (in house) about 100 times a day. I take no other medication except vitamins etc.

Comment from: n/a, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have just been diagnosed with osteo of the spine, which surprised me as I worked alone in my landscaping business for 25 years heavy lifting and long hours didn't bother me. I never was big on milk or calcium tabs as they made me sick, but I love yogurt and cheese. I breast fed my 2 kids til 2 years old. I'm a non-smoker, lite coffee and wine drinker. My mother has rheumatoid and osteo and 1 sister with osteo. I had a hysterectomy (fibroids) and colon cancer (no chemo), both situations caused anemia and both required blood transfusions. I would like to know if anemia played a larger roll in this than genetics.

Osteoporosis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication or supplements, have you tried for your osteoporosis?
Osteoporosis - Share Your Experience Question: Do you or a relative have osteoporosis? Please share your experience.
Osteoporosis - Risk Factors and Causes Question: Do you have any risk factors for osteoporosis? What are they?
Osteoporosis - Lifestyle Changes Question: What lifestyle changes (diet, exercise, quitting smoking or alcohol) have you made to manage your osteoporosis?
Osteoporosis - Hormone Therapy Experience Question: Have you been prescribed hormone therapy to treat your osteoporosis? What was your experience?
Osteoporosis - Medications Question: What medications have been prescribed to treat your osteoporosis?
Osteoporosis - Complications Question: Have you had any complications related to your osteoporosis? If so, what were they?