Patient Comments: Osteoporosis - Share Your Experience

Do you or a relative have osteoporosis? Please share your experience.

Comment from: Di, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

I am 70 years old, and I have had osteoporosis for 15 years. I started out with bone popping, and my endocrinologist said that I should take Boniva because I had too much parathyroid hormone in my body. Actonel, Fosamax, and several others made me sick. So I have taken Boniva for 14 years and my bone scans came back good until just in the last few months. I just started having pain and do not know yet if it is the osteoporosis. My aunt had it for a very long time and was in terrible pain but my doctor said there is no pain with it. Has she got a lot to learn!

Comment from: Florence, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I went through early menopause due to an oophorectomy. I've been on Fosamax for at least 10 years. Two years ago, I met a doctor who took me off Fosamax, saying the good has already been delivered to my bones. I'm wondering if there is any validity to this. My mother is 82 and has a similar background. Her doctor has her still taking Fosamax.

Osteoporosis - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms at the onset of your osteoporosis?
Osteoporosis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication or supplements, have you tried for your osteoporosis?
Osteoporosis - Risk Factors and Causes Question: Do you have any risk factors for osteoporosis? What are they?
Osteoporosis - Lifestyle Changes Question: What lifestyle changes (diet, exercise, quitting smoking or alcohol) have you made to manage your osteoporosis?
Osteoporosis - Hormone Therapy Experience Question: Have you been prescribed hormone therapy to treat your osteoporosis? What was your experience?
Osteoporosis - Medications Question: What medications have been prescribed to treat your osteoporosis?
Osteoporosis - Complications Question: Have you had any complications related to your osteoporosis? If so, what were they?