Patient Comments: Osteopenia - Diagnosis

Describe the events that led to a diagnosis of osteopenia.

Comment from: Mavis, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I stepped on dangling sheet going to the washing line and caused Colles' fracture to wrist. I was later called up for a DEXA scan due to fall and age. It was real wakeup call and shock to be told osteopenia was shown. Now I am stepping up the dairy food for calcium, eating more fish, walking more and trying all I can to keep it at bay. Always take up the DEXA if offered, quite a number of people either cancel or just don't turn up!

Comment from: JMB, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I was diagnosed with osteopenia 3 years ago. I don't know who said osteopenia did not cause pain. I assure you it does, constant pain that never goes away. In me it caused back and hip pain which is where the bone was thinning. The doctor dismissed the pain as just back pain.

Comment from: pg, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

I experienced pain in my ankle on the resumption of walking following a pulmonary rehab program. The area to the side of my ankle was injected on the assumption that the problem was tendonitis. An X-ray was then requested and the doctor said there was no damage to be seen. finally an MRI scan showed a fracture of my ankle. In all five weeks elapsed between the initial pain an diagnosis. A subsequent DEXA scan revealed osteopenia and the explanation for my fracture I am told.

Osteopenia - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of your osteopenia?
Osteopenia - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your osteopenia.
Osteopenia - Treatment Question: What treatments or therapies have you received for your osteopenia?