Patient Comments: Osteopenia - Signs and Symptoms

Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your osteopenia.

Comment from: Justcheri, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

My doctor has diagnosed me with osteopenia. I am post-menopausal, had total abdominal hysterectomy (TAH) with BSO (bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy). She has prescribed vitamin D. I have a lot of pain in my lower back. After reading all the information, it states, osteopenia has no pain! I've had a DEXA scan and that is how she came up with the diagnosis. I used to take 600 mg of Ibuprofen 2 to 3 times a day, now take 15 mg of meloxicam. It's especially painful when bending forward.

Comment from: Esme' Blair, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I have just had a bone density scan, first ever and have been diagnosed with osteopenia in my 5/6/7 vertebra. Fracture rate between 21 -23%. I was an aerobics instructor for 6 years in my 30s and did a lot of weight bearing exercise. I do yoga as well. I have quite a lot of pain on and off between my shoulder blades, mid -thoracic region. Hence I think pain is associated to osteopenia.

Comment from: MsMurphy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I asked my doctor if chemotherapy could have caused my osteopenia. She said age causes it. I noticed that my toe and finger nails became brittle after chemotherapy so I still wonder if it contributed to the condition.

Comment from: SLK, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

My top 3 neck bones have lost all padding and are bone on bone! Also the last 3 backbones are bone on bone and catch on each other! Very painful!

Comment from: Loi, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I find it amazing that they say there is no bone pain with osteopenia. That is the reason I went to the doctor, as I am having pain almost all of the time. When you go to lift something, it feels like you are picking up hundreds of pounds instead of the water pitcher. I cannot sit very long as my numbers have decreased in both hips and in my lower spine. I will be going to a specialist in osteoporosis as I am not able to take any oral medicines due to a gastric and liver problem.

Comment from: Lola, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I had bone pain all over my body. I just learned that a second tooth in which I'd had a root canal split right in half all the way down through the root. The first tooth split right at the gum line. I wonder whether this is related to osteopenia.

Osteopenia - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of your osteopenia?
Osteopenia - Diagnosis Question: Describe the events that led to a diagnosis of osteopenia.
Osteopenia - Treatment Question: What treatments or therapies have you received for your osteopenia?