Patient Comments: Osteopenia - Causes

If known, what is the cause of your osteopenia?

Comment from: Snowlady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I was on Depo-Provera (a quarterly birth control shot) for over 5 years. My doctor told me Depo-Provera would zap my bones but I never knew how badly. Plus, he never mentioned that one shouldn't be on Depo-Provera for more than a few years. It wasn't until my hips started hurting when I sit for long periods and they would 'pop' like cracking knuckles that I thought there must be something wrong. My regular doctor thought it might be arthritis. A second doctor thought otherwise and sent me for a bone scan. Boy, was I shocked! Osteopenia, or borderline osteoporosis.

Comment from: bj, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 12

My bone scan over 10 years ago was good. This recent scan was made because I was diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism disease. This condition takes calcium out of your bones. Your calcium blood count is normal at 9 and anything above indicates the disease, which can only be cured by surgical removal of one or more of the glands that have tumors. My bone scan indicated some osteopenia.

Comment from: Reba, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 20

My son has been taking valproic acid for seizures for the past 15 years. Unfortunately, it wasn"t until he suffered a hip fracture last year that we discovered he has osteopenia. My mother instinct tells me it"s from taking the medication for epilepsy because he used to jump out of his crib and fall a lot and he never suffered a broken bone until last year (and it was a short fall from one step up). He also fractured his finger last year getting off the swing. He has a rare syndrome called 4P. We should have started supplements from the start with the Depakene (valproic acid), calcium, vitamin D, folic acid, etc.

Comment from: hot rod, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

Not unusual at my age but I believe the cause is dietary and not enough weight-bearing exercises. At age 20 I became allergic to most dairy products. This includes milk, eggs, cottage cheese eaten directly. Indirectly I can eat eggs if mixed with a food, not French toast which is direct, but pie, cake, etc. I can still enjoy cheese in small quantities. I have had degenerating disks since I was 30, which limits a lot of exercises because of sciatic pain. I can exercise on a resistance training machine, but not as long as I should be. At 50 I had a hysterectomy and hormonal change can contribute.

Comment from: Chris, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I've just been diagnosed with Osteopenia, I would say this is due to having celiac disease for 8/9 years before being diagnosed and having 3 pregnancies one being twins, I hope it can be controlled as I'm a very active woman.

Comment from: DJ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I feel like I just read my story in the last post I read. I am in constant pain in my low back, pelvic, neck, wrist, etc. I too cannot take pain medications due to my system's reactions. I always have bad side effects. I was diagnosed with pelvic floor dysfunction and other problems with my pelvic floor. My low back hurts so bad all I can do is lie with ice pack for relief. I have been to an orthopedic doctor; all he did is take an x-ray and say my spine is straight. My last test last week shows osteopenia. I knew this as for the last two years I have had a hard time walking. I am not even 60 and used to be very active. Now I can't do much. Now I have moderate risk for fracture. I was put on high doses of calcium and vitamin D3. I am very active even though I am in major pain. Osteopenia is so very painful so for the one that said her doctor told her it wasn"t painful is wrong. I will work on getting the acidity down as this will hurt your bones. Good Luck to all.

Osteopenia - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your osteopenia.
Osteopenia - Diagnosis Question: Describe the events that led to a diagnosis of osteopenia.
Osteopenia - Treatment Question: What treatments or therapies have you received for your osteopenia?