Patient Comments: Osteopenia - Causes

If known, what is the cause of your osteopenia?

Comment from: Reba, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 20

My son has been taking valproic acid for seizures for the past 15 years. Unfortunately, it wasn"t until he suffered a hip fracture last year that we discovered he has osteopenia. My mother instinct tells me it"s from taking the medication for epilepsy because he used to jump out of his crib and fall a lot and he never suffered a broken bone until last year (and it was a short fall from one step up). He also fractured his finger last year getting off the swing. He has a rare syndrome called 4P. We should have started supplements from the start with the Depakene (valproic acid), calcium, vitamin D, folic acid, etc.

Comment from: hot rod, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

Not unusual at my age but I believe the cause is dietary and not enough weight-bearing exercises. At age 20 I became allergic to most dairy products. This includes milk, eggs, cottage cheese eaten directly. Indirectly I can eat eggs if mixed with a food, not French toast which is direct, but pie, cake, etc. I can still enjoy cheese in small quantities. I have had degenerating disks since I was 30, which limits a lot of exercises because of sciatic pain. I can exercise on a resistance training machine, but not as long as I should be. At 50 I had a hysterectomy and hormonal change can contribute.

Comment from: Chris, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I've just been diagnosed with Osteopenia, I would say this is due to having celiac disease for 8/9 years before being diagnosed and having 3 pregnancies one being twins, I hope it can be controlled as I'm a very active woman.

Comment from: rumsis, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I had minimal radiation therapy for DES related vaginal cancer. This means the hip joints and lumbar spine to tailbone were exposed to radiation which "eats" bones. Five years later, using a DEXA scan, came the diagnosis of osteopenia. I lost two inches in height in this time period and have had a backache the entire time. I am sensitive to chemicals so I have tried healing it with the natural approach and afraid I'm losing the battle.

Comment from: DJ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I feel like I just read my story in the last post I read. I am in constant pain in my low back, pelvic, neck, wrist, etc. I too cannot take pain medications due to my system's reactions. I always have bad side effects. I was diagnosed with pelvic floor dysfunction and other problems with my pelvic floor. My low back hurts so bad all I can do is lie with ice pack for relief. I have been to an orthopedic doctor; all he did is take an x-ray and say my spine is straight. My last test last week shows osteopenia. I knew this as for the last two years I have had a hard time walking. I am not even 60 and used to be very active. Now I can't do much. Now I have moderate risk for fracture. I was put on high doses of calcium and vitamin D3. I am very active even though I am in major pain. Osteopenia is so very painful so for the one that said her doctor told her it wasn"t painful is wrong. I will work on getting the acidity down as this will hurt your bones. Good Luck to all.

Comment from: Tigerlionbear, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

My asthma steroid inhaler Flomax and Pulmicort caused my osteopenia.

Comment from: christine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I believe I have osteopenia because I gave birth to my first child at age 22 and my second 13 months later. I also breastfed both for 4 months. This meant that I was either breastfeeding or pregnant for 25 consecutive months. I have heard that pregnancy and breastfeeding can affect the bones. I have also heard that the density of bones reach their full density at about aged 25-30. I was pregnant at 21 and as mentioned was either pregnant or breastfeeding for 25 months, which was before the bones had reached their full density. I have also taken some steroids from time to time for ulcerative colitis which could also have contributed. On top of this I was diagnosed as Celiac disease nearly 4 years ago (not sure how long I had had it for) so that probably didn't help. I am nearly 64 years old. I have taken HRT for around 15 years which is probably a good thing in my case. I was diagnosed by a DEXA scan about 10 years ago and more recent DEXA scans have shown no significant worsening since the first one which is a good sign. I have recently retired and have just re-started doing Pilates at home (used to do a bit previously but none for about 6 years) and hope this might help. Think I might go to a few proper classes when I can get round to it.

Osteopenia - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your osteopenia.
Osteopenia - Diagnosis Question: Describe the events that led to a diagnosis of osteopenia.
Osteopenia - Treatment Question: What treatments or therapies have you received for your osteopenia?