- Osteoporosis Slideshow Pictures
- Super Foods for Your Bones Slideshow Pictures
- Take the Osteoporosis Quiz
- Patient Comments: Osteopenia - Causes
- Patient Comments: Osteopenia - Signs and Symptoms
- Patient Comments: Osteopenia - Diagnosis
- Patient Comments: Osteopenia - Treatment
- Find a local Doctor in your town
- Osteopenia facts
- What is osteopenia?
- Osteopenia vs. osteoporosis
- What risk factors and causes of osteopenia?
- What are osteopenia symptoms and signs?
- Why is osteopenia important?
- When should someone see a doctor for osteopenia?
- What tests do health-care professionals use to diagnose osteopenia?
- Who should be tested for osteopenia?
- What is the treatment for osteopenia?
- What follow-up is needed after treatment of osteopenia has been initiated?
- What types of specialists treat osteopenia?
- Is it possible to prevent osteopenia?
- What is the prognosis of osteopenia?
Quick GuideOsteoporosis Pictures Slideshow: Are Your Bones at Risk?
What is the prognosis of osteopenia?
Frequently, bone loss can be slowed or stabilized with lifestyle changes or medication if necessary. In some situations, bone loss may continue due to hormonal factors, medical conditions, or medications. Examples of these situations may be untreated celiac sprue, untreated or resistant rheumatoid arthritis, and treatment with steroid medication such as prednisone used for another medical condition.
Katz, Seymour. "Prevention, Detection, and Treatment of Osteopenia and Osteoporosis." Gastroenterol Hepatol (N Y) 9.3 Mar. 2013: 176-178.