Patient Comments: Osteomyelitis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your osteomyelitis?

Comment from: Steph, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I was diagnosed with osteomyelitis when I was 9 years old. I first noticed that one side of my collar bone was very swollen and tender to touch. After going to the doctors and then to the hospital (who all at first had thought I had broken it) I was finally referred to a specialist. I had antibiotics, which did not touch it. I also had a biopsy, and then surgery to remove a window of bone and scrape some of the crystalized infection away. It is now 6 years after this operation and I still get excruciating pain every so often for a few weeks (this is normally when the weather changes dramatically in temperature).

Comment from: Ash, 35-44 (Patient) Published: May 15

I was diagnosed at 10 years of age with osteomyelitis in my right ankle. After 2 weeks of going backwards and forwards to the doctors with a temperature, vomiting and a sickeningly painful ankle and constantly being told it was inflammation from a virus and to take aspirin, a different doctor had an idea what it might be. I was sent for a blood test immediately and had an emergency operation the same day to remove the infected bone marrow. I spent 2 weeks in isolation, 3 weeks in children's ward and a further 8 months on crutches. I am 41 now and have had no problems since.

Comment from: Cutie pie, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 05

I am nine years old. I started having pain in my back left hip/pelvic area during gymnastics. So I had to stop. But for several months I still had pain, but not really bad. I still ran around and played normal. But in about 4 months I began having fevers, every day. They would go up to 104, I would have chills and then sweat like crazy. Also I was very tired and could not play. I lost weight. This went on for 4 weeks. My pediatrician did tons of blood tests, but everything came back normal except my CRP level was high. Finally I got sent to children's hospital for infectious disease. They figured everything out, and now I'm on medications for osteomyelitis through a PICC line for 6 weeks.

Comment from: Bj, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

My story goes like this: I broke my ankle in 3 places in October. By March the following year I knew that they were going to have to do surgery to remove all the hardware they had put in. I had an infection in one incision a week after the first surgery. In May I had my second surgery. Within 3 weeks I had another infection in the same incision that the first one was in. Now six weeks after the second surgery I still have 2 holes in my leg and severe pain. I went to my family doctor who ordered a bone scan. Bone scan showed an infection. I am currently waiting to find out what treatment I am going to get. The pain and severe burning sensations and the stiffness and swelling make walking even 2 feet almost unbearable. I hate taking pain medications and am taking narcotics on a regular basis. My ankle looks deformed and is discolored. I am just frustrated that the orthopedic doc didn't even consider a bone infection/osteomyelitis.

Comment from: Lola, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I am a healthy 49 year old female. No chronic illnesses and no history of infection. I woke up one morning and thought I broke my foot in my sleep. I had just pain the 1st day. The next day I had redness and some swelling at the base of my last 2 toes. The swelling and pain progressed and by the 4th day I could not wear shoes and could barely walk on the foot. On the 5th day I could not lower foot below horizontal without severe throbbing pain and could not bear weight. I had lab tests and everything was normal, had an x-ray and everything was normal except for soft tissue swelling. Bone scan finally diagnosed the osteomyelitis. I am on oral antibiotics for 3 weeks so far, probably another 3 weeks to go. Swelling and redness have greatly reduced, pain is now a dull throbbing pain in that foot.

Comment from: theteacher124, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I am a 69 year old female. On March 15, 2015 I noticed a small place on the 2nd toe next to the big toe on my left foot. I went to the doctor on March 28, 2015 and he placed me on an antibiotic. After two weeks it had gotten worse so I went back to the doctor on April 10 and was immediately sent to a wound care specialist. Then I was sent on to the hospital. The MRI showed I had osteomyelitis. On April 15, my toe was cut off in order for the infection not to go any further. All through the ordeal I felt no pain. Because of diabetic neuropathy, my feet have no feeling.

Osteomyelitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with osteomyelitis.
Osteomyelitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your osteomyelitis?
Osteomyelitis - Diagnosis Question: How was your osteomyelitis diagnosed?