Patient Comments: Osteomyelitis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your osteomyelitis?

Comment from: JO, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

My husband was misdiagnosed with Pick's disease a year ago. I was concerned about him since his sister was in end-stage Alzheimer's disease, and died from it this year. Our physician only sent us to a psychology group who specializes in Alzheimer's disease. After only a three hour interview with a guy with an MS degree, they diagnosed him with Pick's Disease. No other testing, and most of the questions they asked me were misinterpreted on the evaluation. After conferring with his other physicians who have known him for 20 plus years, as well as a trusted psychologist, I was advised to throw away the report of Pick's Disease and seek a malpractice lawsuit. Be sure to get all the answers before some guy tells you to start looking for nursing homes like they told me.

Comment from: Carol, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I went back to statins after having problems the first time my doctor put me on simvastatin. I was off it for a year and after a cholesterol check my numbers were high so my doctor decided to try pravastatin 10 mg. After a few days on it I developed muscle and joint pains. My doctor took me off it again. It has been one week since I stopped and I am still miserable. My fingers hurt so badly and my back aches. I have sent away for red yeast rice which lowered my cholesterol years ago. It has co-enzyme Q10 in it. I will try that next. Never again will I take a statin!

Comment from: Steph, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I was diagnosed with osteomyelitis when I was 9 years old. I first noticed that one side of my collar bone was very swollen and tender to touch. After going to the doctors and then to the hospital (who all at first had thought I had broken it) I was finally referred to a specialist. I had antibiotics, which did not touch it. I also had a biopsy, and then surgery to remove a window of bone and scrape some of the crystalized infection away. It is now 6 years after this operation and I still get excruciating pain every so often for a few weeks (this is normally when the weather changes dramatically in temperature).

Comment from: Ash, 35-44 (Patient) Published: May 15

I was diagnosed at 10 years of age with osteomyelitis in my right ankle. After 2 weeks of going backwards and forwards to the doctors with a temperature, vomiting and a sickeningly painful ankle and constantly being told it was inflammation from a virus and to take aspirin, a different doctor had an idea what it might be. I was sent for a blood test immediately and had an emergency operation the same day to remove the infected bone marrow. I spent 2 weeks in isolation, 3 weeks in children's ward and a further 8 months on crutches. I am 41 now and have had no problems since.

Comment from: Cutie pie, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 05

I am nine years old. I started having pain in my back left hip/pelvic area during gymnastics. So I had to stop. But for several months I still had pain, but not really bad. I still ran around and played normal. But in about 4 months I began having fevers, every day. They would go up to 104, I would have chills and then sweat like crazy. Also I was very tired and could not play. I lost weight. This went on for 4 weeks. My pediatrician did tons of blood tests, but everything came back normal except my CRP level was high. Finally I got sent to children's hospital for infectious disease. They figured everything out, and now I'm on medications for osteomyelitis through a PICC line for 6 weeks.

Comment from: maggiewitt, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I am confused. The diagnosis of the lab states, skin with ulceration overlying bone with acute osteomyelitis. Skin and soft tissues resection margins show dermal scar and inflammation. Osteomyelitis not seen at proximal resection margin.

Comment from: Liv R, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I have pan hypopituitarism and on replacement steroids and other medications. I was diagnosed with a suprasellar germ cell tumor in 2007. I had surgery and radiation to head and spine then. I am visually impaired as a result of tumor crushing the optic nerves. I have had a series of bouts of pneumonia since 2012 which required hospitalization. Septicemia in 2013 required 3 weeks in intensive care. Now I have been diagnosed with osteomyelitis in front sinus bone. Symptoms were initially sinusitis which reoccurred a month later, and treated with antibiotics. Then more symptoms, which caused swelling around the right eye and forehead. I had MRI recently which revealed infection so then I had an operation through my nose for this. I am now on intravenous antibiotics for 4 to 6 weeks, then oral antibiotics.

Osteomyelitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with osteomyelitis.
Osteomyelitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your osteomyelitis?
Osteomyelitis - Diagnosis Question: How was your osteomyelitis diagnosed?