Patient Comments: Osteomyelitis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your osteomyelitis?

Comment from: lizzzzz, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 01

My dad underwent knee replacement surgery in December 2014. At some point during the days following surgery, 2 staples came lose and a few days later those staples were removed. As a result of that, the incision began separating. He was sent home from sub-acute rehabilitation after 6 days with a leg stabilizer from heel to hip. Two days later the stabilizer was taken off and my mother was tasked by the orthopedist to care for the wound. It continued to separate, all the while my dad went to outpatient physiotherapy (PT) and 4 post operation office visits with the orthopedist. On the 4th visit, he complained of leg pain in the non-surgery leg as well as back pain. The orthopedist explained this away of my dad sitting too much. No blood work was ever taken during the post operation visits. We fought to finally get a wound care nurse in and home PT. The morning that was set to start, he ended up going to the emergency room. He spent 11 weeks in the ICU, 6 weeks in acute rehab, and 2 months in sub-acute rehab for his osteomyelitis treatment. He's been home since July 2015. The neurosurgeon flushed out abscesses in his spine and removed the infected bone. He said he'd be walking in 7 months. As of today, he still cannot transfer, stand or walk. He also went through kidney failure, respiratory failure, blood clots and many other life battles. Amazing that he made it and we are fortunate but losing hope that he will ever be able to walk.

Comment from: JO, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

My husband was misdiagnosed with Pick's disease a year ago. I was concerned about him since his sister was in end-stage Alzheimer's disease, and died from it this year. Our physician only sent us to a psychology group who specializes in Alzheimer's disease. After only a three hour interview with a guy with an MS degree, they diagnosed him with Pick's Disease. No other testing, and most of the questions they asked me were misinterpreted on the evaluation. After conferring with his other physicians who have known him for 20 plus years, as well as a trusted psychologist, I was advised to throw away the report of Pick's Disease and seek a malpractice lawsuit. Be sure to get all the answers before some guy tells you to start looking for nursing homes like they told me.

Comment from: Carol, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I went back to statins after having problems the first time my doctor put me on simvastatin. I was off it for a year and after a cholesterol check my numbers were high so my doctor decided to try pravastatin 10 mg. After a few days on it I developed muscle and joint pains. My doctor took me off it again. It has been one week since I stopped and I am still miserable. My fingers hurt so badly and my back aches. I have sent away for red yeast rice which lowered my cholesterol years ago. It has co-enzyme Q10 in it. I will try that next. Never again will I take a statin!

Comment from: Steph, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I was diagnosed with osteomyelitis when I was 9 years old. I first noticed that one side of my collar bone was very swollen and tender to touch. After going to the doctors and then to the hospital (who all at first had thought I had broken it) I was finally referred to a specialist. I had antibiotics, which did not touch it. I also had a biopsy, and then surgery to remove a window of bone and scrape some of the crystalized infection away. It is now 6 years after this operation and I still get excruciating pain every so often for a few weeks (this is normally when the weather changes dramatically in temperature).

Comment from: Ash, 35-44 (Patient) Published: May 15

I was diagnosed at 10 years of age with osteomyelitis in my right ankle. After 2 weeks of going backwards and forwards to the doctors with a temperature, vomiting and a sickeningly painful ankle and constantly being told it was inflammation from a virus and to take aspirin, a different doctor had an idea what it might be. I was sent for a blood test immediately and had an emergency operation the same day to remove the infected bone marrow. I spent 2 weeks in isolation, 3 weeks in children's ward and a further 8 months on crutches. I am 41 now and have had no problems since.

Osteomyelitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with osteomyelitis.
Osteomyelitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your osteomyelitis?
Osteomyelitis - Diagnosis Question: How was your osteomyelitis diagnosed?