Patient Comments: Osteomyelitis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your osteomyelitis?

Comment from: VSLG, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

It was definitely the most intense pain I ever experienced. The pain began after I received an epidural injection, that was tainted by the physician administering it, to relieve pain from degenerative disc disease and herniated discs. Instead of relieving me from having to take pain medications, it worsened my condition by causing a bone infection (osteomyelitis) in my sciatic nerve area. I could barely move, much less walk. The doctors in the ER thought I was crazy or a drug seeker because they couldn't diagnose the problem. I went to a teaching hospital that was able to diagnose my problem. I was hospitalized for four weeks and then sent home on IV antibiotics for an additional four weeks. My SED rate was very high, and if I hadn't been diagnosed when I was, I would have died. Years later, I still suffer with constant pain. It's not nearly as bad as it was, but I continue to be treated with narcotic pain medications.

Comment from: Ali, 7-12 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I am a 12-year-old kid with osteomyelitis in the C3 area of my neck. I have had 60 shots of antibiotics, and when I do, I sleep with the cannula for three days, and then switch it to another. I had seven MRIs, 16 blood tests, four X-rays, and a biopsy. I still have the pain – it is very irritating.

Comment from: Pccstudent, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I developed osteomyelitis after a posterior cervical fusion. My fusion was done on in November of 2012 and we did not discover the infection until the end of January 2013. I awoke one morning with the bandage that covered my incision soaked with pus, and my pillow was also soaked in pus. I had two debridements (the doctor took a piece of my vertebrae and sent it to the lab, which confirmed my diagnosis. I spent seven weeks getting wound care and IV antibiotics. I have a huge "divit" on the back of my neck. I still have all the symptoms of chronic osteomyelitis (severe leg and pelvis pain, pain and swelling at the wound site, nausea and malaise). I am scheduled for a myelogram to see if the cause of my pain can be determined. The doctor wants me to stay on Keflex for a year, and then take the metal out. I do not like this plan. I do wonder if the time from when I got the infection and before treatment was started is considered a long time. I can say that my doctors are not very responsive. I can't walk with my head up and I have no stamina. This must get better.

Comment from: robbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I fractured two parts of my foot. I had surgery with a pin placed. The swelling continued for months, and my skin felt so tight that I thought my foot was going to burst.

Comment from: Nn john, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 05

After being back and forth in the hospital for the past 20 years, my 53-year-old father was diagnosed with osteomyelitis in the past year. In our country, medical procedures are very expensive and are government subsidized. He has excruciating pains in his left leg and has also been to the ER numerous times. He has been treated with so much antibiotics over the last five years that he has lost count. Now, he is being told that they want to amputate his leg. There are other options, but the doctors insist on cutting off his leg and he refuses. We are now in the process of seeking other advice and other methods of treatment. This is stressing us out. We need solutions.

Comment from: real life.., 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 12

Over the years that I have dealt with osteomyelitis I have lost hip bones, a half of a foot, have had bed sores, back pain and have had most every other symptom of this disease. But life goes on.

Comment from: Pete, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 12

My husband put in 4 miserable months and lost 20 lbs. before the doctors diagnosed osteomyelitis of his pelvic bone. He even developed blood clots in his leg and lungs. He spent 2 weeks in the hospital, 2 weeks in a nursing home and had 8 weeks of intravenous antiobiotics. It has now been one year and it's back. All this came from numerous urine infections. The future looks rather grim and the doctors just don't seem to have any answers.

Osteomyelitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with osteomyelitis.
Osteomyelitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your osteomyelitis?
Osteomyelitis - Diagnosis Question: How was your osteomyelitis diagnosed?