Patient Comments: Osteomyelitis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your osteomyelitis?

Comment from: 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 27

My 8 year old son has recently been diagnosed with osteomyelitis. His symptoms began suddenly and included pain in his right thigh, fever, nausea and lethargy. Blood cultures taken in hospital showed infection caused by staphylococcus aureus and a bone scan subsequently confirmed osteomyelitis. He was treated with intravenous antibiotics for a period of 7 days. He is now recovering well at home on oral antibiotics.

Comment from: Holly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I am a 49 year old female, I had osteomyelitis when I was 11 years old. At that time, there were no CT scans, or MRIs, nor did the doctors check for inflammation. The disease was in my ankle of my right leg, I was very sick by the time, it was treated. It required surgery, and a long recovery.

Comment from: 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 25

My son contracted osteomyelitis at the age of nine in 2008. His symptom was excruciating pain in his lower back. Unfortunately, he was sent home from the hospital twice and almost a third time due to misdiagnosis as the lesions in his sacrum which were causing the pain were not visible to the naked eye nor through X-rays. It was only when his fever spiked on the fifth day (which coincided with his third trip to a children's hospital) that he got the attention he deserved and then the proper steps were taken in the diagnosis i.e. blood test which tested positive for the bacteria followed by an MRI scan which showed the lesions.

Comment from: warvet, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 10

I damaged the muscles around my right hip and had acupuncture. The next day, I presented at the emergency department of my hospital with redness, swelling, and pain in the hip. Because it was over prosthesis, I was very concerned. Four doctors and an ultrasound confirmed infection (cellulitis) but it took them 21 hours to administer antibiotics. Four days later, I was released on oral antibiotics. An abscess formed. I was operated on 14 days after first presenting at the hospital and the abscess flushed and tested. Two days later, the prosthesis was removed because it was infected. It is now confirmed that I have osteomyelitis around a remaining steel rod and screw and am on 24-hour antibiotics for six weeks with the possibility of surgery down the road.

Comment from: Starfire, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I had osteomyelitis in my femur bone it was excruciating! I let it pass and just worked with it going to different doctors getting misdiagnosis. It finally hit big time and I thought I was going to die. The pain was like nothing could help me. Thank goodness for these nurses who invented all these contraptions to move you. Just to move me off the bed was an ordeal. It's been 2 years since my five surgeries to fix my leg and I still have pain.

Comment from: chris, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 11

My husband had surgery 3 weeks ago on a shattered collar bone which resulted in him having a metal plate fitted since then he has suffered tremendous bone and muscle pain to the point where he can on pick anything up he cannot walk on his feet his elbow hurt his wrist hurts his knee keeps swelling up the pain has reduced him to tears he's cold all the time and his hands shake his hip has also suffered the pain and he sleeps a lot more than he use to. His physiotherapist diagnosed spasmodic muscular reaction but I am so worried its more than that.

Comment from: jender, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I am 70 years old and for the past month or so have had terrible aching bones throughout my body, but mostly on my left shoulder and arm and hips, and am very tired all the time I am also quite depressed. Have a mole on the side of my neck which is slightly itchy and has changed shape and is getting a little larger. My body has suddenly started aging very quickly too. I weigh 58 kgs but have quite a fat stomach; also my back is starting to round. Have I got osteomyelitis.

Osteomyelitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with osteomyelitis.
Osteomyelitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your osteomyelitis?
Osteomyelitis - Diagnosis Question: How was your osteomyelitis diagnosed?