Patient Comments: Osteomyelitis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your osteomyelitis?

Comment from: theteacher124, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I am a 69 year old female. On March 15, 2015 I noticed a small place on the 2nd toe next to the big toe on my left foot. I went to the doctor on March 28, 2015 and he placed me on an antibiotic. After two weeks it had gotten worse so I went back to the doctor on April 10 and was immediately sent to a wound care specialist. Then I was sent on to the hospital. The MRI showed I had osteomyelitis. On April 15, my toe was cut off in order for the infection not to go any further. All through the ordeal I felt no pain. Because of diabetic neuropathy, my feet have no feeling.

Comment from: Louisiana Dave, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 05

I have osteomyelitis in the end of my index toe. Bone showed. Toe has been very red for a month and I've been through 3 different antibiotics over that period of time including multiple Rocephin injections. I have peripheral neuropathy (20 years) but I'm definitely not diabetic.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I can guarantee that you will NOT be able to walk if you have Osteomyelitis. 'Severe' pain doesn't even begin to cover the pain I felt when I had osteomyelitis in my femur 10 years ago. I couldn't move any part of my lower body, I was placed in a bed, and when someone would try to pick me up, touch me, move me, I would scream out in agony and a couple times actually blacked out. The doctors had to go into surgery that night because I would've died that night otherwise. It feels nothing like an annoying pain. It's the most intense pain I have ever felt.

Comment from: libradiva, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I was diagnosed with osteomyelitis when I was fourteen years old. The first symptoms I noticed were pain and swelling in my left ankle. The pain was so severe I couldn't even walk let alone stand on my own two feet. I missed a lot of school because of it and every time I went to the doctor he would tell me I had a sprained ankle. He would wrap my ankle in an ace bandage, prescribe me with pain killers, tell me to keep a heating pad on it and send me on my way. This went on for a year and a half. Until I met the best orthopedic doctor in the universe. He injected me with a blue dye that went through my entire body to show where the infection would be and then I took an MRI. When the screen lit up with a blue patch, we knew. I had two biopsies and the bone was removed. I haven't had a problem since.

Comment from: caleysue, 45-54 Female Published: February 08

I am a 47 year old female and have had pelvic and pain below my rib this is all on my right side. Pain is worse when I walk and lay down, and sometimes if I sit on a hard chair. When I lay down it makes my back hurt and when I get up I am very stiff I have to roll out of the bed sometimes.

Comment from: walkbyfaith, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

I am a 48 year old female with Lupus. I was diagnosed over 20 years ago. For the past 4-5 years I have developed other illnesses stemming from the Lupus, Osteomyelitis being one of them. I suffer from Raynaud's which is a medical condition where I have very poor blood circulation to my extremities. I do not do well in cold climates or environments and have developed ulcers on the tips of most of my fingers. I am now at risk of multiple amputations of several of my fingers. The pain of this is so bad there are times that I've considered self-amputation or worse, ending my suffering.

Comment from: CurleyRed, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I was told in 1993 that I had Osteomyelitis. I have lost 7 toes and most of the bone in right foot. I have the little toe on right foot and the little toe and the one next to it on left. Also a doctor talked me into having a knee replacement on right knee and the osteomyelitis and MRSA attacked the knee and for a year. I was bed bound, I am now in wheel chair. I have 3 things that tell me when ostemyelitis is working on my bones it is bad headache, high temp., and blood sugar is very high. I was told the ostemyelitis doesn't like anything that isn't the original part of the body. The doc broke my femur in doing knee replacement if it attacks the wires and screw in the femur. I will probably lose my leg from the hip down. It is a very hard and cruel disease. I hope maybe this info will help someone thanks for your time.

Osteomyelitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with osteomyelitis.
Osteomyelitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your osteomyelitis?
Osteomyelitis - Diagnosis Question: How was your osteomyelitis diagnosed?