Patient Comments: Osteomyelitis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your osteomyelitis?

Comment from: VSLG, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

It was definitely the most intense pain I ever experienced. The pain began after I received an epidural injection, that was tainted by the physician administering it, to relieve pain from degenerative disc disease and herniated discs. Instead of relieving me from having to take pain medications, it worsened my condition by causing a bone infection (osteomyelitis) in my sciatic nerve area. I could barely move, much less walk. The doctors in the ER thought I was crazy or a drug seeker because they couldn't diagnose the problem. I went to a teaching hospital that was able to diagnose my problem. I was hospitalized for four weeks and then sent home on IV antibiotics for an additional four weeks. My SED rate was very high, and if I hadn't been diagnosed when I was, I would have died. Years later, I still suffer with constant pain. It's not nearly as bad as it was, but I continue to be treated with narcotic pain medications.

Comment from: caleysue, 45-54 Female Published: February 08

I am a 47 year old female and have had pelvic and pain below my rib this is all on my right side. Pain is worse when I walk and lay down, and sometimes if I sit on a hard chair. When I lay down it makes my back hurt and when I get up I am very stiff I have to roll out of the bed sometimes.

Comment from: walkbyfaith, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

I am a 48 year old female with Lupus. I was diagnosed over 20 years ago. For the past 4-5 years I have developed other illnesses stemming from the Lupus, Osteomyelitis being one of them. I suffer from Raynaud's which is a medical condition where I have very poor blood circulation to my extremities. I do not do well in cold climates or environments and have developed ulcers on the tips of most of my fingers. I am now at risk of multiple amputations of several of my fingers. The pain of this is so bad there are times that I've considered self-amputation or worse, ending my suffering.

Comment from: CurleyRed, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I was told in 1993 that I had Osteomyelitis. I have lost 7 toes and most of the bone in right foot. I have the little toe on right foot and the little toe and the one next to it on left. Also a doctor talked me into having a knee replacement on right knee and the osteomyelitis and MRSA attacked the knee and for a year. I was bed bound, I am now in wheel chair. I have 3 things that tell me when ostemyelitis is working on my bones it is bad headache, high temp., and blood sugar is very high. I was told the ostemyelitis doesn't like anything that isn't the original part of the body. The doc broke my femur in doing knee replacement if it attacks the wires and screw in the femur. I will probably lose my leg from the hip down. It is a very hard and cruel disease. I hope maybe this info will help someone thanks for your time.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I received a staph infection in a doctor's office after having fluid removed from my knee and antibiotics placed in my knee. The doctor went on vacation for two weeks. I tried everybody; I could not get any help. Three weeks later, I went to the emergency room and had surgery performed on the knee. I was put on antibiotics in the hospital. I was in a lot of pain. I was released with home-care antibiotics. Then the doctor said the knee was out of place and put me back in the hospital, which put the knee back in unreal pain. I spent thousands of dollars on rehab. I had unreal pain and swelling. No one would listen to me. Finally, months later, I had an MRI that showed I have osteomyelitis. I will see the doctor again in two days. I still have swelling; it has never gone down much. The pain is still there, and I am very frustrated.

Comment from: Ali, 7-12 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I am a 12-year-old kid with osteomyelitis in the C3 area of my neck. I have had 60 shots of antibiotics, and when I do, I sleep with the cannula for three days, and then switch it to another. I had seven MRIs, 16 blood tests, four X-rays, and a biopsy. I still have the pain – it is very irritating.

Comment from: Pccstudent, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I developed osteomyelitis after a posterior cervical fusion. My fusion was done on in November of 2012 and we did not discover the infection until the end of January 2013. I awoke one morning with the bandage that covered my incision soaked with pus, and my pillow was also soaked in pus. I had two debridements (the doctor took a piece of my vertebrae and sent it to the lab, which confirmed my diagnosis. I spent seven weeks getting wound care and IV antibiotics. I have a huge "divit" on the back of my neck. I still have all the symptoms of chronic osteomyelitis (severe leg and pelvis pain, pain and swelling at the wound site, nausea and malaise). I am scheduled for a myelogram to see if the cause of my pain can be determined. The doctor wants me to stay on Keflex for a year, and then take the metal out. I do not like this plan. I do wonder if the time from when I got the infection and before treatment was started is considered a long time. I can say that my doctors are not very responsive. I can't walk with my head up and I have no stamina. This must get better.

Osteomyelitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with osteomyelitis.
Osteomyelitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your osteomyelitis?
Osteomyelitis - Diagnosis Question: How was your osteomyelitis diagnosed?