Patient Comments: Osteomyelitis - Diagnosis

How was your osteomyelitis diagnosed?

Comment from: PCCstudent, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I was an auto mechanic for 35 plus years, the job was hard on my body. I went to the doctor with shoulder pain that turned into major age related wear issues in my neck. I needed both anterior and posterior cervical fusions. One month (almost to the day) later I experienced tunneling at my rear incision site. The hole was half the size of a pencil and produced major amounts of pus. We did not even try medications, I was in surgery the day after I first informed my surgeon of the wound tunneling. The debridement was conservative and included a bone specimen. I showed up at an infectious wound doctor's office about 7 days after they had the specimen looked at by the lab. She asked many, many questions, finally she told me that she had never before seen this in her career (she is well thought of in her field), I had vertebral osteomyelitis, I had no idea what this was going to mean.

Osteomyelitis - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your osteomyelitis?
Osteomyelitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with osteomyelitis.
Osteomyelitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your osteomyelitis?