Patient Comments: Osteomyelitis - Diagnosis

How was your osteomyelitis diagnosed?

Comment from: 123terry, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 11

My bone infection (osteomyelitis) was discovered during a hip replacement surgery. The infection was caused by streptococcus bacteria. Some bone and tissue were removed, and a spacer filled with bone cement and antibiotics were attached at the pelvic bone with 2 screws. The antibiotics did not do the job. Right now I am looking at the same procedure again with a new spacer again. I am not sure about going down this road again.

Comment from: Nancy S, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I was waiting on the steps for my mother to pick me up from school a few days before my 11th birthday. When I got up to walk to the car, my ankle hurt and so I limped a little. My mother noticed and when it didn't get any better, she took me to my pediatrician a day or two later. He questioned me closely and (thank goodness) believed me when I said I had not injured it in any way, it just started hurting out of the blue. He had me take off my shoes and socks on both feet, which I didn't understand. He placed his palm on the painful, mildly swollen ankle, then on the other one, back and forth. He then told me he was checking me into the hospital that night! Blood tests were done at the hospital and osteomyelitis confirmed. I was put on a penicillin IV, which I was kept on until I developed an allergy; I was switched to something else for the remainder of the four weeks I spent in the hospital. Near the end, he called in a specialist to see if I could be released after four weeks instead of the usual six. They confirmed that my doctor had caught it so quickly that the infection had been successfully treated in the shorter time. He told us that he had remembered reading an article in a medical journal that said osteomyelitis was being underdiagnosed. It looked like a sprain and patients and doctors alike were ignoring or mistaking it, with serious consequences. When he felt each ankle, he had been looking for increased warmth in the swollen ankle, a sign of infection that a sprain wouldn't have. I have always been impressed and grateful. Thank you, doctor.

Comment from: PCCstudent, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I was an auto mechanic for 35 plus years, the job was hard on my body. I went to the doctor with shoulder pain that turned into major age related wear issues in my neck. I needed both anterior and posterior cervical fusions. One month (almost to the day) later I experienced tunneling at my rear incision site. The hole was half the size of a pencil and produced major amounts of pus. We did not even try medications, I was in surgery the day after I first informed my surgeon of the wound tunneling. The debridement was conservative and included a bone specimen. I showed up at an infectious wound doctor's office about 7 days after they had the specimen looked at by the lab. She asked many, many questions, finally she told me that she had never before seen this in her career (she is well thought of in her field), I had vertebral osteomyelitis, I had no idea what this was going to mean.

Comment from: Kar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I have lupus along with other immune problems since 2006, I hit my big toe on the edge of my bed and fractured my toe. Several months went by and toe got red, inflamed, and painful. They took toe nail off, 2 days after that the middle of toe blew up, white pus, so painful I couldn't walk, pain medication didn't even help! After 8 or 9 months found out I had osteomyelitis, infection spread through my body fast and I was so sick in hospital a week. I was sent home with IV antibiotics for 8 weeks which didn't work, so I'm trying hyperbaric chamber, and I'm hoping this works because I do not want my toe removed! So Look into hyperbaric chamber.

Osteomyelitis - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your osteomyelitis?
Osteomyelitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with osteomyelitis.
Osteomyelitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your osteomyelitis?