Patient Comments: Osteomyelitis - Experience

Please describe your experience with osteomyelitis.

Comment from: dragonfly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I woke up one morning in extreme pain in my neck and shoulder with a small red dot on my collar bone that grew rapidly over the next week. After 3 months of oral antibiotic and a doctor treating me for MRSA, a friend that was a nurse referred me to an infectious disease doctor and he diagnosed me with osteomyelitis within 30 minutes. I ended up having my collar bone part of my sternum and part of one rib removed because of the delay in treatment. If I had not finally taken my medical care into my own hand and insisted on a MRI and a new doctor I would be dead today!

Comment from: kerry, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 12

For three weeks my daughter aged 12 has had a really sore toe and redness and a bit of pain. I took her to the local general physician who prescribed antibiotic. Well, with 2 courses of this the symptoms got worse with blood tests that showed nothing. I asked for an x-ray to be done, we had this done and she was sent to the emergency department (ED). At the hospital she was diagnosed with osteomyelitis in her big toe. She had surgery, lost 25 percent of her joint and stayed in there for 5 day with IV antibiotic. Now she is home today with 6 weeks of oral antibiotics. Concern is she is still with the prospect of more surgery at later date.

Comment from: Cutie pie, Female (Caregiver) Published: August 05

I began with hip/ pelvic pain while doing gymnastics. Several months later, bad fevers began. Every day they got up to 103 to 104, for a month. I never had really bad pain. It was difficult for the doctors to figure out my problem. But once I got sent to the children's hospital and the infectious disease doctor saw me, she sent me to get a bone scan, and then an MRI which showed my infection on the sacrum. I never experienced lots of pain. Just sometimes my bottom hurt, and my sides (hips) felt sore. It was the constant fevers that finally made everyone know something was wrong in my body. Not everyone will feel severe pain with osteomyelitis.

Comment from: MERCY, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I had osteomyelitis when I was 9 years and now am 30. I underwent medication for more than 10 years but currently free from infection. It lead to fused knee and now am thinking and worried if I should undergo knee manipulation to relax my stiff knee. I always wonder how I got it.

Comment from: LLemons, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I was diagnosed with osteomyelitis shortly after my 50th birthday. I had the most horrible pain ever in my right femur. At first I thought it was arthritis, and the pain worsened. I was admitted to the hospital and was diagnosed. I had a 3rd world infection (no idea where I got that) and strep in the femur after staying in the hospital for 9 months. I had 12 surgeries and a rod was placed in the femur; I am doing well. Cold and rainy weather make my leg ache but I am so thankful to be walking.

Comment from: vic008, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

I broke my femur 40 years ago. Last 5 years it has been weeping pus pretty well nonstop. I have no pain or anything. I had tests and osteomyelitis is confirmed. Meanwhile I am doing nothing about it.

Comment from: Keith, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

I suffered from osteomyelitis, I was on crutches from the age of 7 until I was 12. I was treated in children's hospital until I was referred to a private specialist who cured me. I played all sports and I am now 71.

Comment from: John, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 14

I was diagnosed with osteomyelitis when I was nine years old, it was in my femur. My symptoms started with severe pains in my stomach which was only eased by bringing my knees tight up to my chest. Then the pain started in my thigh on a night, with hot sweats and the pain was unbearable. My mother sent for the doctor who had me rushed into hospital, and had an operation the following morning. I woke with my leg in a splint and I was transferred to a children"s hospital where I spent another nine months. I was given a handful of tablets to take each day with daily injections. I am 64 now and played active sports all my life without any problems.

Osteomyelitis - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your osteomyelitis?
Osteomyelitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your osteomyelitis?
Osteomyelitis - Diagnosis Question: How was your osteomyelitis diagnosed?