Patient Comments: Osteomyelitis - Experience

Please describe your experience with osteomyelitis.

Comment from: sunny, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I came out of my bathroom and the pain that hit me was the worst in my life!! I've had 4 bone diseases for several years, but with pain medications I have managed. I had my sister call 911. They sent me home saying it is arthritis. So a few days later I went to a real hospital. It took 8 people to get me out of the car while I was screaming! The pain was so unbearable! No medications would touch it! They figured out I have osteomyelitis in my right hip. It is IVs for me now, then an antibiotic implant and then a hip replacement. I'm in a nursing home right now!

Comment from: Mariana, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 27

My partner has various health problems including a nonfunctional kidney. A couple of weeks ago he had a really sore neck so rested it in the hope of it getting better. However, even though he was nursing it and lying flat, the pain got worse. He started to have sweats, severe headaches and couldn't eat or swallow properly. We went to the doctor who couldn't determine whether he had a problem with his kidney, heart (had a bypass) or with his artificial hip. After being put in the hospital, the 6th doctor ordered scans for osteomyelitis. The CAT scan was inconclusive but the MRI scan showed an infection in the 5th vertebrae. I was told this could be treated with about 6 weeks of intravenous antibiotics but the doctors decided to operate immediately after another scan the next day. Apparently he could have been paralyzed without the operation. He has a bone graft from his good hip, and a titanium plate/cage to protect the area. He has been flat on his back for the last week but luckily has movement in his arms, legs and extremities so with good physiotherapy, will get through this and walk again. This was a very scary experience and I am grateful for new diagnostic tools which probably saved his mobility.

Comment from: Kay, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 31

My son is in hospital after being diagnosed with a staph infection in his hip, blood and bone. He has had surgery for the osteomyelitis and in 17 hours of that the pediatric team and nurse had physiotherapy started; this was way too early. They now, after a week and half, want to go back in because they feel the seeping at the site should not still be happening.

Comment from: 101stVet, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 06

I related in the "Symptom," page having severe calf pain while a Soldier in Vietnam that was initially, but incorrectly, diagnosed as a deep vein thrombosis. Beginning first with an evacuation hospital in Vietnam, then on a hospital ship, I was treated with IV Heparin, an anticlottIng blood thinner. After almost 10 days I was taken to a Military Base where a needle biopsy disclosed the osteomyelitis. Following several days of blood products to reduce my clotting time, doctors performed surgery in an attempt to save my leg. That wasn't possible because of the extensive damage to large portions of bone and muscle tissue, so the following day my doctors amputated my leg as a knee disarticulation as a life saving measure. There had been several pockets of the infection in the posterior of the residual limb that the doctors excised, and I was begun on a potent regimen of antibiotics. That was all 45 years ago. I was fitted with a prosthetic leg at a Military hospital the following spring and I haven't slowed down since. In fact, the prostheses that I'm wearing today is "state-of-the-art" and smarter than I am.

Comment from: yvonne, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I have had a non-healing wound on my finger for 10 months. The wound would heal and get worse, heal and get worse. It caused significant pain that would travel down the bone into my hand. The doctors suggested osteomyelitis, but it was inconclusive on the MRI. I am preparing to have an amputation of the finger because traditional methods are not helping and I believe I had a late diagnosis.

Comment from: Claire, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

In 2012 I was diagnosed with Osteomyelitis in my right pinky finger. I went 6 months after jamming my finger before my mom finally decided to take me to a doctor. At the time I did not realize how severe my finger was. I just thought it was weird that my pinky was the same size around the knuckle as my thumb. Although I had no severe pains at times it would hurt to clap. The doctor prescribed antibiotics for me, but after a month there was no change in the shape of my pinky. Now it's 2013, and my finger is still swollen and I am confused as to why the antibiotics did not work.

Osteomyelitis - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your osteomyelitis?
Osteomyelitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your osteomyelitis?
Osteomyelitis - Diagnosis Question: How was your osteomyelitis diagnosed?