Patient Comments: Osteomyelitis - Experience

Please describe your experience with osteomyelitis.

Comment from: yvonne, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I have had a non-healing wound on my finger for 10 months. The wound would heal and get worse, heal and get worse. It caused significant pain that would travel down the bone into my hand. The doctors suggested osteomyelitis, but it was inconclusive on the MRI. I am preparing to have an amputation of the finger because traditional methods are not helping and I believe I had a late diagnosis.

Comment from: Claire, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

In 2012 I was diagnosed with Osteomyelitis in my right pinky finger. I went 6 months after jamming my finger before my mom finally decided to take me to a doctor. At the time I did not realize how severe my finger was. I just thought it was weird that my pinky was the same size around the knuckle as my thumb. Although I had no severe pains at times it would hurt to clap. The doctor prescribed antibiotics for me, but after a month there was no change in the shape of my pinky. Now it's 2013, and my finger is still swollen and I am confused as to why the antibiotics did not work.

Comment from: kristy7971, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I was hit by a car in 1989 when I was 9 years old. I'm 33 now have had 23 surgeries. I was diagnosed with osteomyelitis in my tibia at age 11. I have had so many flare ups in the past 24 years, including cellulitis and now MRSA. I have to have my leg amputated because 10 years ago I nicked my bad leg with a razor while shaving and it triggered osteomyelitis. I have a plate with screws that are exposed and I have had an open wound for 10 years now. I have diabetes and the list just gets longer once you have osteomyelitis. You are never the same.

Comment from: FL571, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

I was diagnosed with osteomyelitis of the right fourth toe, do not know where I contracted it, currently have had all the tests and I am on an infusion pump with antibiotics for the next five weeks. Also I did not have any pain.

Osteomyelitis - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your osteomyelitis?
Osteomyelitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your osteomyelitis?
Osteomyelitis - Diagnosis Question: How was your osteomyelitis diagnosed?