Patient Comments: Osteoarthritis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your osteoarthritis?

Comment from: jkd, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

I am a 58 year old male retired physical therapist, involved most of my life in weightlifting, martial arts, and all sports having to do with the beach and water. While sparring I injured my right knee after throwing a high kick. After the pain set in I could tell it was a medial meniscus tear. I have seen 6 orthopedic surgeons over the past 2 years with no resolve for diagnosis of osteoarthritis and possible medial meniscus tear. As a physical therapist I addressed the symptoms with an appropriate protocol with no success. I am frustrated as to why I have not received an injection nor been given an MRI as is the suggested protocol. I have treated the injury with stretching, open chain non weight bearing exercise, hydrotherapy, moderate progressive resistance exercise, diet and appropriate rest. Stretching gives me the most relief. Oh yes, and NSAIDS and ice as indicated. Due to this episode and the lack of interest by our medical professionals, I have terminated my license and will suffer with my condition. I have lost all faith in orthopedic surgeons, and as a former orthopedic physical therapist I refuse to treat their patients. If there is a positive response to a McMurray test, something should be done for confirmation. Nothing is not acceptable.

Comment from: jane, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 30

I am a training clinical officer and once was approached with a 54 years client with a history of back pains for almost 7 years. Probing on his occupation, he said he is a simple farmer. He was very much concerned that with the pain he is not able to bend his back for a long time. In my management I ordered an x-ray film which showed prominent bone outgrowths on his spinal bones and worn out cartilages. To my differentials it was a typical degenerative arthritis. After some time the bone outgrowths seemed to be more prominent than before which showed that in future after some more years these outgrowths would meet but I was afraid to suggest surgery since from books I read that recurrence with rapid growth of these intruding bones is more likely.

Comment from: Wendy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I am 60 and have already had both knees replaced and one hip. In 2 months I go in for the first shoulder replacement. Being heavy all my life (but still very active hiking, canoeing, swimming, camping, biking) I was led to believe the joint damage was as a result of the weight. I could see that with the load bearing joints but the OA is also in both shoulders and is starting in my neck. I suspect it's what is also causing the pain in my back as the x-rays of a chiropractor have shown. Since my mother had it and my dad's mom also, heredity is probably playing a part. Apart from the replacements, daily doses of Tylenol 1's and ibuprofen get me by. Since the hip replacement, the unevenness of the leg lengths is a contributing factor to the low back pain. I look forward to getting back to the gym once the shoulders are done. I still manage to work part time as a banquet hall bartender but know that those days are severely numbered, at least right now.

Comment from: Optimistic, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I had a total knee replacement age 54 after suffering for many years (tough operation but for me the results have been excellent). The OA was due to trauma, multiple skiing accidents where I perhaps could have followed advice more closely (young and bullet proof!). My other knee is in line for the same treatment and I have OA in both ankles. I have had a back injury (a lifting accident) and I suspect my numb arms are related to OA in my spine. Oh well! Life goes on. I find Voltaren (Diclofonac) a great relief, having taken a break from it when I found I had reached a tolerance and it was ineffective. Working well at the moment though! I am now looking at diet. Have also used glucosamine with condroiton and fish oil, heat rubs, wheat bags, electric blanket and when turned off (of course) a hot water bottle. I walk, bike, work, play (non-impact!)And I have no intentions of stopping. Some days though you just wish you could get pain free.

Comment from: doveums, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I was doing jumping jacks 2 years ago and heard something pull/pop in my left knee. I went to the emergency room later that night, they did x-rays, and said it was only a sprain. A week later I saw the orthopedic surgeon and he said it was nothing just throw away the brace, I did exactly that and ended up in the emergency room a week later with a diagnosis of degenerative osteoarthritis.

Osteoarthritis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of osteoarthritis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Osteoarthritis - Share Your Experience Question: Do you, a friend, or relative have osteoarthritis? Please share your experience.
Osteoarthritis - Early Intervention Question: Do you have early symptoms of osteoarthritis? What steps are you taking for early intervention?