Patient Comments: Osteoarthritis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your osteoarthritis?

Comment from: susanashworth2, Published: November 17

The pain from tennis elbow has started to wake me up and I cannot stretch my arm out because of the pain and my arm feels stiff and hurts a lot.

Comment from: Gracie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I have osteoarthritis in my hands. I have problems taking medications for the pain, so my option was to surgically remove the joint in my index finger and have a screw put in my finger. I am amazed at the results and pain free. I have had my thumb joint repaired with a part of my tendon from my forearm. It isn't for everyone but it worked for me.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I have lived with chronic pain since my early adult life. Only a few years ago, several doctors later I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis (OA). Of course, I was started on a course of NSAIDS - sulindac, ibuprofen, naproxen and cortisone injections. I now see along with my doctor, a naturopath. She has me on a schedule of easier on the stomach treatments, and has also been able to tell from a saliva test that my adrenal gland is not working (likely never has and may have been the cause of my menstrual problems and inability to have children). She has added in an adrenal response to 'kick start' the adrenal gland which should increase my natural cortisol production (pain relief). My treatment plan includes: Omega 3 (Red Krill) 1000 to 5000 mg twice a day (BID); evening primrose 1000 mg BID; turmeric-bromelain 2 caps bid; vitamin D 4000IU BID; vitamin B12 1200 mcg once a day; naproxen 220 mg BID; adrenal response 1 tablet at 8:30 and another at 3:30; black cohosh 40 mg BID; Vitex 'Chaste Tree Berry' 2 caps BID (promotes production of luteinizing hormone (LH) and progesterone). Like many others with OA, I continue to keep mobile, I use the elliptical trainer, am an avid gardener, I go walking and swimming, and my work is physical, though some days a challenge. I also use heat, ice and many types of topical application to soothe. My OA affects all my joints, some more severe than others. I cannot remember what life is like without pain sometimes I hope for death so I can be without the pain.

Comment from: jkd, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

I am a 58 year old male retired physical therapist, involved most of my life in weightlifting, martial arts, and all sports having to do with the beach and water. While sparring I injured my right knee after throwing a high kick. After the pain set in I could tell it was a medial meniscus tear. I have seen 6 orthopedic surgeons over the past 2 years with no resolve for diagnosis of osteoarthritis and possible medial meniscus tear. As a physical therapist I addressed the symptoms with an appropriate protocol with no success. I am frustrated as to why I have not received an injection nor been given an MRI as is the suggested protocol. I have treated the injury with stretching, open chain non weight bearing exercise, hydrotherapy, moderate progressive resistance exercise, diet and appropriate rest. Stretching gives me the most relief. Oh yes, and NSAIDS and ice as indicated. Due to this episode and the lack of interest by our medical professionals, I have terminated my license and will suffer with my condition. I have lost all faith in orthopedic surgeons, and as a former orthopedic physical therapist I refuse to treat their patients. If there is a positive response to a McMurray test, something should be done for confirmation. Nothing is not acceptable.

Comment from: rodney, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

I was diagnosed with esophageal cancer in 2011. I have had Ivor Lewis esophagectomy and radiochemotherapy, but at the latest gastroscopy the cancer had recurred. I am convinced that it is unbeatable now as I have no options left.

Comment from: doveums, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I was doing jumping jacks 2 years ago and heard something pull/pop in my left knee. I went to the emergency room later that night, they did x-rays, and said it was only a sprain. A week later I saw the orthopedic surgeon and he said it was nothing just throw away the brace, I did exactly that and ended up in the emergency room a week later with a diagnosis of degenerative osteoarthritis.

Osteoarthritis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of osteoarthritis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Osteoarthritis - Share Your Experience Question: Do you, a friend, or relative have osteoarthritis? Please share your experience.
Osteoarthritis - Early Intervention Question: Do you have early symptoms of osteoarthritis? What steps are you taking for early intervention?