Patient Comments: Osteoarthritis - Symptoms

The symptoms of osteoarthritis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

A Doctor's View on Osteoarthritis Symptoms

Read the Comment by William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR

Osteoarthritis symptoms may include pain, stiffness, swelling, redness, warmth, creaking, and loss of function. When osteoarthritis first develops, there may be no symptoms. Cartilage loss, nodularity of the joints, and bony enlargements result as osteoarthritis progresses. Severe osteoarthritis symptoms may lead to a loss of function and disability. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: 35-44 Female Published: August 04

I knew something was wrong when at age 28, I had trouble waking up for about a week. I was diagnosed at age 32 through an x-ray when I could barely climb the stairs. One of the first symptoms I experienced was my knees would flair up and get very hot. I took medication, but after 7yrs had to stop due to re-occurring stomach problems. Through medication use, change of diet and eating healthier I lost weight and this has definitely helped.

Published: August 04

My symptoms started when I was 17. At first, it was just pain in my knees after exercise. Now, at the age of 24, I am having pain in my knees and left hip. I had closed reduction of a both-bone lower leg fracture when I was 12, so I assume that was the initial catalyst.

Osteoarthritis - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis - Share Your Experience Question: Do you, a friend, or relative have osteoarthritis? Please share your experience.
Osteoarthritis - Early Intervention Question: Do you have early symptoms of osteoarthritis? What steps are you taking for early intervention?