Patient Comments: Osteoarthritis - Symptoms

The symptoms of osteoarthritis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 22

I am a 38 year old male and have been in the army for 18 years. Two years ago bending my fingers made my hand feel achy and stiff. Eventually the feeling spread to my knees, my shoulders, my back, feet, and neck, now I can't lift my arm without pain medications. Even with the pain medications my ROM in that arm is limited, and I still hurt all of the time. I finally have a diagnosis of osteoarthritis, but nothing seems to do much for the pain at all.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

I have osteoarthritis. In my case, the problem started when I was 35. Most doctors though say that is too early for the disease to start. Currently, I am 41. Over the years, the disease has progressed. While earlier I experienced pain in my knee while climbing and descending stairs, these days if my knees are stressed, I experience mild pain, even in walking. It has me worried. One particular exercise that involves contracting the knee, if done excessively, further aggravates my problem.

Comment from: Jax, 35-44 Female Published: August 19

I have osteoarthritis on both hips; the left being more advanced than the right. I'm on anti-inflammatories and pain killers for it, but I'm having terrible pains in my left leg, and it gets worse when I'm on my feet for a long time. When I sit down, my bottom and my thighs -- especially my left thigh -- ache and I have to keep moving positions to relieve the pain. My doctor thinks it's sciatica that's causing the pain.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I'm 45 years old and have osteoarthritis in my lower back. I've had pain with my back for years, but, finally, I have a cause. Because I have the arthritis in the lower back, it kicks my right hip out of alignment, which I see a chiropractor for every month. I don't take medications because I'm one that hates to rely on them, but I do exercise, lift weights, and I speed walk every day. I refuse to give up my freedom of movement to this problem, I'll fight it every step of the way! Of course I have pain in the morning, and if I make the wrong movement at any time.

Comment from: 35-44 Female Published: August 04

I knew something was wrong when at age 28, I had trouble waking up for about a week. I was diagnosed at age 32 through an x-ray when I could barely climb the stairs. One of the first symptoms I experienced was my knees would flair up and get very hot. I took medication, but after 7yrs had to stop due to re-occurring stomach problems. Through medication use, change of diet and eating healthier I lost weight and this has definitely helped.

Published: August 04

My symptoms started when I was 17. At first, it was just pain in my knees after exercise. Now, at the age of 24, I am having pain in my knees and left hip. I had closed reduction of a both-bone lower leg fracture when I was 12, so I assume that was the initial catalyst.

Osteoarthritis - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis - Share Your Experience Question: Do you, a friend, or relative have osteoarthritis? Please share your experience.
Osteoarthritis - Early Intervention Question: Do you have early symptoms of osteoarthritis? What steps are you taking for early intervention?