Patient Comments: Osteoarthritis - Symptoms

The symptoms of osteoarthritis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Published: June 27

My first symptom was in my jaw. It basically "quit working" one day and my teeth were hitting when I chewed. I had to relearn to chew and it eventually healed. The next time something went wrong was with my pinky finger. It had been stiff and irritated for a while, but one day I noticed it was swollen, with a hard knot on the knuckle. The x-ray revealed osteoarthritis. Subsequent x-rays confirmed arthritis in the jaw and both hips. I am a 35 year old female. It's a bit depressing, but I am now taking a joint complex supplement and have modified my exercise routine to be lower impact with more repetition and less weight. Hopefully, things will improve. I need to be able to keep up with 3 small children!

Published: June 24

I was diagnosed at 4 years old with osteoarthritis in my knees and have been living with it for 36 years. It seemed that all at once, after sitting for any length of time, I would get up and as soon as I started to walk I would fall. Of course, my parents immediately took me to doctor & then the hospital.

Published: June 19

I have suffered for 4yrs from this disease and I have tried many meds to no avail I lost weight but this hasn't helped so out of desperation I had acupuncture which took the edge of the pain which is the best result I have had because of the pain in my legs, hips, ankles and back I am almost house bound but with acupuncture I feel less pain thus I'm able to go into the garden there is hope you just have to solider on to get an answer.

Published: June 13

Initially I thought I had slept crooked and had a crick in my neck or a sinus headache. The pain, however, began to radiate up the side of my head behind my left ear and down my left shoulder. It became excruciating to turn my head to the left. When it wasn't hurting, I could feel movement in my neck when I turned my head.

Published: June 04

For so long I thought that I was going crazy, I had pain and burning in my joints and muscles, I have had MRI' s and was told that nothing was wrong, just aging, I am 50 yrs old and I feel like 70. I finally saw a commercial about fibromyalgia (?)And took it to my Dr. and she sent me to a Rheumatologist and he found that I have osteoarthritis. He gave me Neurogen and the nerve pain is finally under control, I question is will I eventually get osteoporosis?

Published: June 02

After arthroscopic surgery on my right knee in 1995, I learned about glucosamine/chondroitin supplements and began taking them. My left knee was very bad also, but improved almost immediately without surgery, and now 13 years later, no pain in either knee. I take two triple strength tablets a day. If I feel a twinge, I up the dosage to 3 a day for a week or two. That supplement works for me (a 68 year-old male) - at least on the knees but not in the back.

Published: May 28

One day, my good knee (the left one...the right one has had six surgeries, including ACL replacement and subsequent retear of the replacement and partial miniscus removal) just started to swell. The previous night, I felt it was tight, then the next day after a casual 2.5-mile walk, it was a balloon. There is no pain, just tightness, swelling, and the usual cracking that has existed for years. For the record, I am 39 and female.

Published: May 28

My pain began at the age of 37, after an injury sustained on the job. A burning sensation along with severe spasms was my first clue that something was wrong.

Osteoarthritis - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis - Share Your Experience Question: Do you, a friend, or relative have osteoarthritis? Please share your experience.
Osteoarthritis - Early Intervention Question: Do you have early symptoms of osteoarthritis? What steps are you taking for early intervention?