Patient Comments: Osteoarthritis - Share Your Experience

Do you, a friend, or relative have osteoarthritis? Please share your experience.

Comment from: Renuka g., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I have knee joint pain for last 2 months. Doctor suggested x-ray and found gap between joints was less at inner side of both the legs. Doctor suggested to put lubrication through viscosupplementation injection in the knee. He is not confident this is a guaranteed solution for my knee osteoarthritis. He also suggested that I lose weight.

Comment from: lena, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I am 46 years old and I have always had issues with my knees for as long as I can remember. I could tell when it was going to storm or just rain. January of 2014, knee pain has progressed to severe. I could barely walk. I went to doctors and had steroid injections, but no help. Next step I had Synvisc, no help or relief. I did therapy and nothing again. I had MRI done and yes, no cartilage at all behind knee caps. Both knee caps are shot. But the doctor won't do surgery because he says I'm too young. I have no medicine regimes. He just told me I'm unable to work due the severity of osteoarthritis in knees. As to pain, well, he said I just need to work through it on my own. Now I'm raising my twins of which one has hip issues, and out of my 2 granddaughters one is medically challenged. They are 4 and 5. I am very tired of pain and not being able to function like a normal person. I don't sleep very much due to pain. I can't do grocery shopping, if I do I'm laid up for a few days with severe pain and swelling of knees. Now elbows are doing same thing and my lower back kills when doing simple things like dishes or fixing meals.

Comment from: marinemom3025, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I was diagnosed years ago with rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis. For me it was passed down by my parents. My hands are deformed now and I suffer great pain, now it is in my spine and my knees too. I was on chemotherapy for almost 2 years. It did nothing but cause me more grief, I got drop foot from using the chemotherapy. I"m now looking for a new doctor, I know there is no cure but surely there must be something we can do to stop the horrible pain and swelling in our joints!

Comment from: Rich, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 14

I have been involved in heavy-duty work for most of my life -- mainly in warehouse with heavy lifting and trucking. All of these jobs put me at risk, but that is what I grew up with and enjoyed most as an occupation. Unfortunately, it caused great strain on my spine, and I am now being treated for spinal osteoarthritis. Even with medication, I am never without severe pain. Hot showers and a heating pad do relieve some of the pain, but it cannot end it. I am now 61 and have had the arthritis for four years. I have had to learn to live with it, but it isn't easy.

Comment from: Eduardo, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

I was born three months early. I was born with underdeveloped bones and never had any special care. I started to gain weight drastically after a traumatic experience. Since then, my joints have gotten worse and worse. I have deformed knees, experience sharp pains in even the simplest joints, and experience stiffness and loud pops throughout my body. I've been dropping weight, but I know that given my build, even at my smallest I'd still be giving my back and lower body a hard time. I'm currently 16 and I am 6 feet tall and weigh 238 pounds. I was at one point 5'8” and weighed 270 pounds, and had a body fat percentage of 45 percent. I've pushed that down to 28 percent and I am still going. Hopefully sports will help me, but I'm not expecting miracles.

Comment from: amydewster, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

My knee pain has severely increased after a fall. Will osteoarthritis progress faster after a traumatic injury! I did not know I had osteoarthritis 3 months ago, now my doctor suggests a knee replacement.

Comment from: Kacebs, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I was operated 11 years ago for arthritis but I started experiencing pain in the knee joint and around the thigh. Now I have to take pain killers every time I experience pain.

Osteoarthritis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of osteoarthritis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Osteoarthritis - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis - Early Intervention Question: Do you have early symptoms of osteoarthritis? What steps are you taking for early intervention?