Patient Comments: Osgood-Schlatter Disease - Symptoms

Were you diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter disease? What were your symptoms associated with the disease?

Comment from: MissJP, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I was diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter disease when I was 12 maybe 13 years old. I'm now 38! I first noticed that I couldn't kneel down directly on my knees the pain was unbearable, then came the pain, and soreness; it was constant. I was often crying with the pain and unable to sleep at night. Just below my knees I have these unsightly boney lumps and I still have these now. People often say I have an extra knee cap. I am limited to what I can wear as I need to cover my knees always! I was referred to a specialist and was put in plaster cast for 6 weeks, he wanted to slow me down, he wrote to my school informing them I was not to do absolutely any physical education (PE) lessons at all; I also had to go for physiotherapy twice a week at the hospital. The specialist said he could operate but it would mean swapping the lump for nasty scars. None of the above helped. The pain did eventually stop when I was around 19. However if I don't get enough sleep my knees will ache! I still cannot kneel down, or in fact put any weight on my knees at all. I would love to experience life without my lumps getting in the way. Oh by the way, I am female!

Comment from: Anne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I developed Osgood-Schlatter disease when I was about 11, in my right knee. For the first three years or so, any time my knee touched anything it almost sent me through the roof with nerve pain. It was hard to breathe. I never received any treatment for it, and I have a substantial calcification below my right kneecap. Despite risk of pain, I was extremely physically active and continue to be active today. In general, I do not have pain associated with the calcification and it does not seem to impede my activity. I guess I got lucky.

Comment from: hurtingbad, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

In 1972 I was diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter disease and the doctor used 14 needles, 7 in each knee to draw what he called fluid from the knees which hurt terribly. Afterwards, I was put in a full leg cast right leg first, but it didn"t change anything. After that swimming therapy was introduced; no change, all the time I am swelling up and lying down with ice bags. Then I was shot full in both knees with cortisone - again just pain no gain. By the age of 12, doctors said I would grow out of it. So from 13 to adult I never was able to finish a sport, play any game for too long before knees would swell up, lost my social friends. Then after 2 years of being inactive, I wrestled for a season. It hurt everyday but I did it. Now I am 52 and in pain daily still cannot do stairs or long standing or running, getting up from sitting too long. Now my eye is blurry and diabetes is evident.

Comment from: michael, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 08

I was diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter disease over 50 years ago (simply left to outgrow as opposed to immobilization option for a 90 day period). I always dreaded hitting the knee area as pain was excruciating. In the last week knee pain intensified coupled with little strength in the leg, it was hard to stand up. I did recently begin fitness program (cycling and treadmill) perhaps this was the trigger.

Osgood-Schlatter Disease - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for your Osgood-Schlatter disease?