Patient Comments: Osgood-Schlatter Disease - Symptoms

Were you diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter disease? What were your symptoms associated with the disease?

Comment from: DrGPS2016, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

I am a disabled veteran diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter disease at the age of 47. This started with testosterone injections when I was 42 and the growth in my right leg began shortly thereafter. I have always had low testosterone, but it had not been diagnosed until 2011. After testosterone replacement therapy was started, the symptoms began and have continued. A recent full body bone scan for a separate issue identified the area as still growing, which we already knew, but at least had some medical confirmation. No one in the VA seems to be aware of how to treat the condition as it is considered primarily for young boys. I am seeking advice on where I can get treatment for this since I am now in a knee brace due to ever-growing pain from the tendon being pulled, in addition the growth (now 2' long by 1/2' wide by 1/2' tall) pulling on the skin. I am not physically active and have been walking with a cane for years due to ankle problems with that leg for more than 15 years. Walking, driving, or any impact on the leg increases the pain around the knee.

Comment from: Hannah, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I have, today, been diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter disease at the age of 36! I pretty much gave up any athletic sport at age 12 when diagnosed with leukemia at which point, I stopped growing (I am pretty much same height now as I was then). I had no symptoms until I was 17 at which point I was told it was cartilage due to being a bit overweight. I have suffered with pain since but only developed lump in knee about 6 months ago and severe pain approximately 1 year ago. I am now in constant pain which is worse when resting. I am not sure what will happen now as I have to see a specialist but can't seem to find other people's experiences that match mine. Everyone else seems to have been physically active when symptoms started! Diagnosis came from MRI. I wonder if diagnosis could be wrong.

Comment from: Sean W., 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

I never knew what was wrong with my knees. One day around age 12, I hurt myself playing basketball and went to the doctor. They shrugged it off and said its just growing pains. Ten years later I still have the same pains and diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter disease. I can't even kneel down without shocking pain running up my leg because my knees are too tender. I love to jump, whether it is to catch a ball in sport or to reach a destination. I don't let my bad knees slow me down. You just have to remember to warm up and stretch effectively before anything and everything involving your knees.

Comment from: karen d l, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I'm 52, female, and like everyone else was diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter (OS) disease as a child. I did sport and rode horses in pain free times, had to rest in others. The bump on my right knee is easily an inch in protrusion. I have no pain unless I knock it, then it is agony. I tripped on uneven paving two days ago, and landed hard on my knees. Now I have massive swelling, deep bruising on the back of my knee and can hardly walk, have next to no movement in my knee, and extreme pain. My left knee had the same impact and is fine. My job requires me to stand all day, not fun at the moment. This is lifelong legacy of OS, no matter how careful you are, knowing only a knock can totally disable you, when it happens it is terrible.

Comment from: Vince, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 13

This may not sound right but I am glad to connect with others who are going through the same painful symptoms caused by Osgood-Schlatter disease (OS). I grew up in a very poor household and my OS was never diagnosed. My brother had it and eventually went to a doctor who told him that there was nothing he could do. So I figured what's the point. Now at 49, my OS is very painful when I am exercising. The bumps jut out from my knee about 1.5 inches and never have gone away as I read in most medical sites. In addition, I have read many testimonials from others who have undergone surgery to remove the tibial bump but I would have to say that the overwhelming majority have recounted that the operation was not effective. So, I am resigned to living with these bumps as I really feel that modern medicine simply cannot help with this condition. If there is a doctor out there that can tell me otherwise I gladly would like to hear from them.

Comment from: S.Smith, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I been dealing with Osgood-Schlatter disease ever since I was 13, I'm now 43. I slipped on ice and fell on my knees at my daughter's school. My pain is so severe I can barely walk. I have been icing and resting it, but nothing helps. I need help.

Osgood-Schlatter Disease - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for your Osgood-Schlatter disease?