Patient Comments: Osgood-Schlatter Disease - Symptoms

Were you diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter disease? What were your symptoms associated with the disease?

Comment from: karen d l, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I'm 52, female, and like everyone else was diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter (OS) disease as a child. I did sport and rode horses in pain free times, had to rest in others. The bump on my right knee is easily an inch in protrusion. I have no pain unless I knock it, then it is agony. I tripped on uneven paving two days ago, and landed hard on my knees. Now I have massive swelling, deep bruising on the back of my knee and can hardly walk, have next to no movement in my knee, and extreme pain. My left knee had the same impact and is fine. My job requires me to stand all day, not fun at the moment. This is lifelong legacy of OS, no matter how careful you are, knowing only a knock can totally disable you, when it happens it is terrible.

Comment from: Vince, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 13

This may not sound right but I am glad to connect with others who are going through the same painful symptoms caused by Osgood-Schlatter disease (OS). I grew up in a very poor household and my OS was never diagnosed. My brother had it and eventually went to a doctor who told him that there was nothing he could do. So I figured what's the point. Now at 49, my OS is very painful when I am exercising. The bumps jut out from my knee about 1.5 inches and never have gone away as I read in most medical sites. In addition, I have read many testimonials from others who have undergone surgery to remove the tibial bump but I would have to say that the overwhelming majority have recounted that the operation was not effective. So, I am resigned to living with these bumps as I really feel that modern medicine simply cannot help with this condition. If there is a doctor out there that can tell me otherwise I gladly would like to hear from them.

Comment from: FREE THE KNEE, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I was diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter (OS) disease when I was very young, probably around 8 or 9. So far I have gone through about 5 different types of braces and straps, have tried the immobilization treatment, gone through physical therapy, and even tried getting customized orthotics. After none of these treatments seemed to do anything, my doctors just told me to be patient and wait it out. Well, I am 20 now, it has been over 10 years and where am I now! In even more pain than when I was 9. I cannot sit for too long, I cannot stand for too long, kneeling is awful, and for some reason I can no longer stand to go out into the cold. I recently went to visit an orthopedic surgeon and found out that my knee has indeed finished growing, but part of my bone has not fused with the rest. So I am going to, as somebody stated in a previous post, 'trade my painful and ugly bump for an ugly scar'. My surgery is scheduled for the 14 of next month, and I am full of hope! Take care of the pain my fellow OS people, but don't dwell so much on the appearance! Good luck to all of you and your lumps, and remember, it is our right to free the knee!

Comment from: PSHR, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 10

My son woke up screaming at the age of 6. He could not walk! I took him immediately to his pediatrician where he was diagnosed with Osgood Schlatter disease. After a few days he was able to walk again! As a teenager in junior high and high school, sports were difficult but he began developing a lump below his knee cap. It caused a great deal of pain. After a while the pain subsided for the most part but the lump is quite prominent to this day. He is now 20 years old.

Comment from: MissJP, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I was diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter disease when I was 12 maybe 13 years old. I'm now 38! I first noticed that I couldn't kneel down directly on my knees the pain was unbearable, then came the pain, and soreness; it was constant. I was often crying with the pain and unable to sleep at night. Just below my knees I have these unsightly boney lumps and I still have these now. People often say I have an extra knee cap. I am limited to what I can wear as I need to cover my knees always! I was referred to a specialist and was put in plaster cast for 6 weeks, he wanted to slow me down, he wrote to my school informing them I was not to do absolutely any physical education (PE) lessons at all; I also had to go for physiotherapy twice a week at the hospital. The specialist said he could operate but it would mean swapping the lump for nasty scars. None of the above helped. The pain did eventually stop when I was around 19. However if I don't get enough sleep my knees will ache! I still cannot kneel down, or in fact put any weight on my knees at all. I would love to experience life without my lumps getting in the way. Oh by the way, I am female!

Comment from: MissBrensLaw, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I was born in 1966 and diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter disease when I was 12 years old. Nothing really done except I could do no more gymnastics. (That hurt!) No physical education, etc. Just like all of you. Now (female) at 48, the knot on my knee hurts worse than ever and I'm so self-conscious of it. No Surgery! But wow, it hurts and I am tired of being so self-conscious.

Osgood-Schlatter Disease - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for your Osgood-Schlatter disease?