Patient Comments: Osgood-Schlatter Disease - Symptoms

Were you diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter disease? What were your symptoms associated with the disease?

Comment from: FREE THE KNEE, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I was diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter (OS) disease when I was very young, probably around 8 or 9. So far I have gone through about 5 different types of braces and straps, have tried the immobilization treatment, gone through physical therapy, and even tried getting customized orthotics. After none of these treatments seemed to do anything, my doctors just told me to be patient and wait it out. Well, I am 20 now, it has been over 10 years and where am I now! In even more pain than when I was 9. I cannot sit for too long, I cannot stand for too long, kneeling is awful, and for some reason I can no longer stand to go out into the cold. I recently went to visit an orthopedic surgeon and found out that my knee has indeed finished growing, but part of my bone has not fused with the rest. So I am going to, as somebody stated in a previous post, 'trade my painful and ugly bump for an ugly scar'. My surgery is scheduled for the 14 of next month, and I am full of hope! Take care of the pain my fellow OS people, but don't dwell so much on the appearance! Good luck to all of you and your lumps, and remember, it is our right to free the knee!

Comment from: PSHR, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 10

My son woke up screaming at the age of 6. He could not walk! I took him immediately to his pediatrician where he was diagnosed with Osgood Schlatter disease. After a few days he was able to walk again! As a teenager in junior high and high school, sports were difficult but he began developing a lump below his knee cap. It caused a great deal of pain. After a while the pain subsided for the most part but the lump is quite prominent to this day. He is now 20 years old.

Comment from: MissJP, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I was diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter disease when I was 12 maybe 13 years old. I'm now 38! I first noticed that I couldn't kneel down directly on my knees the pain was unbearable, then came the pain, and soreness; it was constant. I was often crying with the pain and unable to sleep at night. Just below my knees I have these unsightly boney lumps and I still have these now. People often say I have an extra knee cap. I am limited to what I can wear as I need to cover my knees always! I was referred to a specialist and was put in plaster cast for 6 weeks, he wanted to slow me down, he wrote to my school informing them I was not to do absolutely any physical education (PE) lessons at all; I also had to go for physiotherapy twice a week at the hospital. The specialist said he could operate but it would mean swapping the lump for nasty scars. None of the above helped. The pain did eventually stop when I was around 19. However if I don't get enough sleep my knees will ache! I still cannot kneel down, or in fact put any weight on my knees at all. I would love to experience life without my lumps getting in the way. Oh by the way, I am female!

Comment from: Anne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I developed Osgood-Schlatter disease when I was about 11, in my right knee. For the first three years or so, any time my knee touched anything it almost sent me through the roof with nerve pain. It was hard to breathe. I never received any treatment for it, and I have a substantial calcification below my right kneecap. Despite risk of pain, I was extremely physically active and continue to be active today. In general, I do not have pain associated with the calcification and it does not seem to impede my activity. I guess I got lucky.

Comment from: hurtingbad, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

In 1972 I was diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter disease and the doctor used 14 needles, 7 in each knee to draw what he called fluid from the knees which hurt terribly. Afterwards, I was put in a full leg cast right leg first, but it didn"t change anything. After that swimming therapy was introduced; no change, all the time I am swelling up and lying down with ice bags. Then I was shot full in both knees with cortisone - again just pain no gain. By the age of 12, doctors said I would grow out of it. So from 13 to adult I never was able to finish a sport, play any game for too long before knees would swell up, lost my social friends. Then after 2 years of being inactive, I wrestled for a season. It hurt everyday but I did it. Now I am 52 and in pain daily still cannot do stairs or long standing or running, getting up from sitting too long. Now my eye is blurry and diabetes is evident.

Comment from: MissBrensLaw, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I was born in 1966 and diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter disease when I was 12 years old. Nothing really done except I could do no more gymnastics. (That hurt!) No physical education, etc. Just like all of you. Now (female) at 48, the knot on my knee hurts worse than ever and I'm so self-conscious of it. No Surgery! But wow, it hurts and I am tired of being so self-conscious.

Osgood-Schlatter Disease - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for your Osgood-Schlatter disease?