Patient Comments: Orthostatic Hypotension - Effective Diagnosis

How was your orthostatic hypotension diagnosed?

Comment from: JCPENNEY, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 16

My mornings became unbearable. Local primary care physician determined I had vertigo. My husband made appointment at the hospital and I was diagnosed with orthostatic hypotension (OH) quickly after series of tests. Table tilt test confirmed it but we went on with sweat test and blood volume tests to determine cause. I have been on beta blocker 30 years and have tachycardia but have cut amount in 1/2 but little effect on OH. Increased daily wearing of thigh high support hose, drinking 50 oz. water and some salt, and sleeping elevated help but symptoms are getting worse going on 2 1/2 years.

Comment from: Liz, Published: June 05

I had my colonoscopy 2 days ago and must say it was absolutely horrendous. Both the preparation and the procedure. I had to take 10 senna tablets at 4 o'clock the day before and then a sachet of Citramag at 5 o'clock. From about 8 o'clock until the next morning I was off and on the toilet. I had no sleep all night and barely made it to the toilet a couple of times. The day of my procedure I had to take another sachet of Citramag at 7 o'clock in the morning. I was still on and off the toilet up to the time I had to leave for the hospital (my appointment was 3.15 in the afternoon) and in the end I was also losing blood with the diarrhea. I also experienced bad stomach cramps. I was worried about even travelling to the hospital in case I needed the toilet again as I seemed to have lost all control over my bowel movements. I arrived at the hospital on time and was told I would be sedated and given pain relief for the procedure. Well, neither of them worked, I was wide awake and felt everything. The pain was excruciating and the doctor had to abandon the procedure in the end because I couldn't stand the pain any longer. Because the procedure wasn't completed I will now have to go back for a CT scan or will have to be anesthetized for them to do it again. I was so wide awake after sedation that I could have taken myself home. I have been unable to go to work for 2 days as I have been still suffering from diarrhea and terrible stomach cramps. Traumatizing experience! Wish I could have been one of those people who felt nothing and woke up after it was all over.

Comment from: acook, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I had stage 2 breast cancer, it was 3 tumors in right breast. I had surgery and lumpectomy, it wasn't bad. I had them removed and 4 lymph nodes taken, and they came back benign. The doctor got all the cancer. I will be starting radiation in a week and then the pill. Keep a strong attitude and you will be fine. Good luck, hope this helps someone.

Comment from: zaniyah, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 30

I found out that I had orthostatic hypotension when I was 12 years old. Every time I stood up I would just feel really dizzy and my vision will go blurry. It really got worst when I was on my period (I know, gross). I was feeling really dizzy and it lasted for hours and I began to be really shaky and everything was just so blurry and I was in so much pain. I'm 13 now and I still have it.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I was diagnosed with orthostatic hypotension at the age of 15. At school, I suddenly just passed out in class. A few moments later, I came to and said I was fine. A few minutes later, I passed out again. As this continued, a classmate informed the teachers of this and they called the paramedics. They took my blood pressure and found that it was significantly low. I got to the hospital where -- after a few hours -- I felt fine. They told me to get dressed and once again, I fainted and fell. My mother who was there with me at the time caught me and yelled for a nurse. I was unconscious for a few hours. When I came to again, my mom and the doctor kept asking me questions to make sure I had not suffered any head damage of any kind. My mother told me that she watched the blood pressure monitor drop so low that at one point my blood pressure was about 50/30 or somewhere around there. This was, of course, quite shocking, as this is not normal for a healthy 15 year old.

Orthostatic Hypotension - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your orthostatic hypotension?
Orthostatic Hypotension - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms associated with your orthostatic hypotension?
Orthostatic Hypotension - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, therapy, or medication did you receive for orthostatic hypotension?