Patient Comments: Orthostatic Hypotension - Effective Diagnosis

How was your orthostatic hypotension diagnosed?

Comment from: (Patient) Published: August 03

My son (then 11) had been sick with a virus. He couldn't seem to get feeling better. He would stand up and then lay back down. After several visits to our pediatrician and a few months had passed, I happened to mention that my son was huffing and puffing while walking through a store. He sent us to a cardiologist who diagnosed it in minutes. He stated all the symptoms and I said "Oh my gosh, I have had that since the 4th grade!” My son drank a gallon of water a day and within a few days, he was feeling fine again. I told my doctor about it and he ordered a tilt table test. Yep, I have it too. I really feel it when I have been sick or after a surgery where I lay down a lot. I get to a point that I don't know if I am sick or it's the orthostatic intolerance, but I just feel sick. I now make sure to drink more fluids and I get to eat plenty of salt. Both my son and I have a lower energy level, that most people just don't understand, but I am thrilled that our solution is water and salt.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I was diagnosed at 17 after having mono and west Nile virus. Doctors and nurses had tested me multiple times by measuring my blood pressure and heart rate lying down, sitting, and standing but were always inconsistent with how long I would lie down or the circumstances. Once I went to the Mayo clinic they ordered a tilt table test as well as a stress test and found severe orthostatic tachycardia as well as several other autonomic dysfunctions (POTS).

Comment from: Mike, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

I had my first episode when I was 18 years old. All my life I would get dizzy when I stood up too fast. Now at age 59 it seems to be getting worse. I wake up with tingling finger tips. At age about 45 I had a tilt table test that confirmed Orthostatic hypotension. If was after I got up too fast and didn't pay attention to the dizziness and passed out. I just had a MRI with added meds to work my heart and passed with ease. My doctor seems to not be too concerned.

Comment from: mazzy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

A tilt table test. After two years of investigations, fainting and dizzy spells. I was more relieved to find out it was not my imagination.

Orthostatic Hypotension - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your orthostatic hypotension?
Orthostatic Hypotension - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms associated with your orthostatic hypotension?
Orthostatic Hypotension - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, therapy, or medication did you receive for orthostatic hypotension?