fungal infections. Oregon grape may also slow the overproduction of skin cells in diseases such as psoriasis.
In this Article
itching, burning, irritation, and allergic reactions.
There is not enough information to know if Oregon grape is safe when taken by mouth in medicinal amounts.
Special Precautions & Warnings:Pregnancy and breast-feeding: It's LIKELY UNSAFE to use Oregon grape if you are pregnant. One of the chemicals in Oregon grape, berberine, may cross the placenta and might cause harm to the fetus. Brain damage (kernicterus) has been reported in newborn infants exposed to berberine. Berberine can also be transferred to the infant through breast milk. It's also LIKELY UNSAFE to use Oregon grape if you are breast-feeding due to the berberine in Oregon grape.
Children: It's LIKELY UNSAFE to give Oregon grape to children, especially newborns. The berberine in Oregon grape can cause brain damage (kernicterus) in newborns, particularly premature newborns who have jaundice. Jaundice is a condition in which there is yellowing of the eyes and skin caused by bile pigments in the blood. It can happen in newborns who have a different blood type than their mother.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.