Patient Comments: Oral Cancer - Symptoms

What are the symptoms of your oral cancer?

Comment from: deanna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I am going through a lot of oral issues in the last few months, sore on my tongue, pain in my throat, hard to swallow, dry mouth and food getting stuck; whew big list... I have been to a few doctors and they just brushed me off. Finally I pushed and had CT scan and they found a couple lumps. Now I've got to go for tongue scan. I knew it. I say as I too was a caregiver of my dear mother who passed two years ago of the very same thing, I watched her go through oral cancer and knew always. Trust your own judgment and follow your heart.

Comment from: aud123, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

Months ago I was noticing a white patch on my tongue. Being too busy I dismissed it as something my inhalers did from asthma. When my tongue started to feel irritated I went to an ENT Doctor (ear, nose and throat). I was pawned off to her assistant who treated me for thrush for a month. Finally, I insisted on seeing the actual doctor who upon first sight of my tongue suggested a biopsy from a good hospital. I called the hospital and couldn't get an appointment for a month. Finally, two days after a painful biopsy I was told I had squamous cell carcinoma (cancer) in my mouth. I'm looking at losing close to half my tongue to surgery because I had bad medical treatment. Let's face it. The earlier you catch cancer the better the outcome will be. Needless to say if you look in your mouth and your tongue looks questionable go to an oral surgeon and have a biopsy ASAP. Good Health to all.

Comment from: Shirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

Last year my tongue started getting painful areas on it, and had knot-like areas. I went to my doctor then to allergist, then to ENT, and now am being shuffled and dismissed as allergies or gastrointestinal reflux. I took antibiotics and steroids for nearly 6 months. In December, a cyst burst on the under part of my tongue, and it got better. Now some 5 months later, I started getting little sores on my tongue, not really noticeable but you could feel them and they are painful. The ones on top of my tongue went away, but now under my tongue where it attaches to the back of my throat, I can feel a knot. I went today to ENT, had an ultrasound, which showed nothing. Now I'm being shuffled off with no follow up, no diagnosis, and no idea of what this is. I know my body, and this is not normal. I am concerned that it might be oral cancer, but I don't know what to do next.

Comment from: Herb, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 10

Symptoms of my oral cancer were non-healing mouth and tongue sore.

Comment from: delia5165, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

At age 35, I was diagnosed with stage 4 oral cancer. I was very lucky to have a team of outstanding doctors. When I was 32, I went to see an oral surgeon, and he just brushed me off saying it was a reaction to nicotine. Being young and trusting, I just let it go at that. Well needless to say it was cancer! From that day on my life has changed, the quality of life is terrible, I had a good job that I was unable to do anymore -- I was a 411 operator. It is difficult to eat, talk -- the little things we take for granted became a challenge. Please if you have a sore or white or red patches in your mouth demand a biopsy. I didn't, and underwent an 18-hour surgery in which they had to remove almost half of my tongue and the floor of my mouth, I was cut open from the middle of my bottom lip down my neck and across my neck to the back of my ear. I had more than 1,500 stitches. I had reconstruction, but as I said before, the little things like eating and speaking are a challenge and very painful. A lot of these doctors are in it for the money and yes money is important but more important than that is to find a doctor that cares about their patients and not just the paycheck. If you die, they still get paid! Well, August will be 10 years that I am cancer-free, so I am one of the lucky ones.

Comment from: maureen, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I recently had problems swallowing and then it became pain in the throat and right ear. I went to a Thanksgiving dinner but could not eat or swallow so I gummed mashed potatoes. I stopped at an urgent care and I was told I had a cancer sore the size of a 50 cent. So the doctor gave me amoxicillin-clavulanate antibiotic! After I took the huge pill which I had to break into 4 pieces to swallow my tongue became swollen and burned every time I tried to eat or swallow. Everything I try to eat tastes like mega salt taste. Nothing helps, I was also given a mouth wash at the same time! My tongue is still numb and swollen but not as red now. I am not taking either prescription but still having the salt taste all the time and I seem to have taste bud problem. It hurts and I don't know where to go!

Oral Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How was your oral cancer diagnosed?
Oral Cancer - Side Effects Question: Oral cancer treatment can make chewing and talking difficult. What side effects have been challenging for you?
Oral Cancer - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or surgery have you had to treat your oral cancer?