Patient Comments: Oral Cancer - Symptoms

What are the symptoms of your oral cancer?

Comment from: deanna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I am going through a lot of oral issues in the last few months, sore on my tongue, pain in my throat, hard to swallow, dry mouth and food getting stuck; whew big list... I have been to a few doctors and they just brushed me off. Finally I pushed and had CT scan and they found a couple lumps. Now I've got to go for tongue scan. I knew it. I say as I too was a caregiver of my dear mother who passed two years ago of the very same thing, I watched her go through oral cancer and knew always. Trust your own judgment and follow your heart.

Comment from: aud123, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

Months ago I was noticing a white patch on my tongue. Being too busy I dismissed it as something my inhalers did from asthma. When my tongue started to feel irritated I went to an ENT Doctor (ear, nose and throat). I was pawned off to her assistant who treated me for thrush for a month. Finally, I insisted on seeing the actual doctor who upon first sight of my tongue suggested a biopsy from a good hospital. I called the hospital and couldn't get an appointment for a month. Finally, two days after a painful biopsy I was told I had squamous cell carcinoma (cancer) in my mouth. I'm looking at losing close to half my tongue to surgery because I had bad medical treatment. Let's face it. The earlier you catch cancer the better the outcome will be. Needless to say if you look in your mouth and your tongue looks questionable go to an oral surgeon and have a biopsy ASAP. Good Health to all.

Comment from: delia5165, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

At age 35, I was diagnosed with stage 4 oral cancer. I was very lucky to have a team of outstanding doctors. When I was 32, I went to see an oral surgeon, and he just brushed me off saying it was a reaction to nicotine. Being young and trusting, I just let it go at that. Well needless to say it was cancer! From that day on my life has changed, the quality of life is terrible, I had a good job that I was unable to do anymore -- I was a 411 operator. It is difficult to eat, talk -- the little things we take for granted became a challenge. Please if you have a sore or white or red patches in your mouth demand a biopsy. I didn't, and underwent an 18-hour surgery in which they had to remove almost half of my tongue and the floor of my mouth, I was cut open from the middle of my bottom lip down my neck and across my neck to the back of my ear. I had more than 1,500 stitches. I had reconstruction, but as I said before, the little things like eating and speaking are a challenge and very painful. A lot of these doctors are in it for the money and yes money is important but more important than that is to find a doctor that cares about their patients and not just the paycheck. If you die, they still get paid! Well, August will be 10 years that I am cancer-free, so I am one of the lucky ones.

Comment from: hunnibee23, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

I'm 22 and my tongue has been acting funny for 6 months now. I did some research and I think it is oral cancer. My mouth is sensitive from the roof of my mouth to every swallow. I really can't deal with the pain anymore and I don't have any medical insurance.

Comment from: MarcyLynn78, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I have had a white patch in the way back corner of my mouth on the left side. It's so far back that when they tell me to open my mouth the tongue hides it so they never see it. I have taken a picture but every single doctor I've been to say my mouth looks fine and there's nothing wrong. I feel the white patch and it's sometimes painful. I am at a loss, as they will not give me any testing and claim I am having pain from a nerve. I've had this going on 5 months now and it's also causing dry mouth and other sensations of the tongue. I was also told by a dentist that I have 'smokers" mouth even though I have never smoked which makes me worry I could possibly have some form of mouth cancer.

Comment from: Gregg, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

I have had surgery to remove cancer from my tongue about a year ago. Following that I had two months of chemotherapy and radiation. My problem beyond having half my tongue removed is that the associated pain was so high I took everything in via feeding tube to this day. I am now trying to learn how to do something simple such as drink water without aspirating it. Does anyone have any ideas on how to relearn the ability to swallow liquid and then learn to take in soft food via mouth as well? I am concerned that I can't relearn that simple action.

Oral Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How was your oral cancer diagnosed?
Oral Cancer - Side Effects Question: Oral cancer treatment can make chewing and talking difficult. What side effects have been challenging for you?
Oral Cancer - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or surgery have you had to treat your oral cancer?