Patient Comments: Oral Cancer - Symptoms

What are the symptoms of your oral cancer?

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

My tongue has been numb about a month. I have a blister under my tongue. The inside portion of my mouth on both sides have sores that have not healed. I am clenching my jaws and it is so painful that I wear a brace at night. Some days I can not move my neck. I have difficulty swallowing food. I have growths in my back that are to be biopsied; now I have made an appointment with a dentist. I am nervous about all this stuff and did not intend to post anything. I was just researching information. Now, I don't know if I want to go to a dentist at all.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I have a very frequent sore throat. Almost once every month. I have been smoking for 7 years and it has been 2 years since I started to have sore throat symtoms. I will have phlem, green maybe with little blood while having pain, or yellow, and tend to have phlem irritation even when my throat is no longer in pain. This time, the sore throat came back, and I finished the antibotics but my throat is still very sore. I have seen a specialist before but my sore throat will always come back.

Comment from: edthecat, 45-54 (Patient) Published: November 17

I have had pain on the top of my tongue at the back and it has lasted for about 5 months. There is an area that looks like a growth and it is about 3/4 " x 1/4" in size. The pain spreads to other parts of the tongue sometimes.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 17

Please don't take this form of cancer lightly. The minute it is a stage one it is time for aggressive treatment chemo, radiation. Second opinions are critical to make sure you are in the right place. My sister had several laser treatments, etc. and an operation on her tongue. It wasn't until it hit her lymph node (stage 3) that she had the surgery, chemo and radiation. By then it was too late and it spread everywhere. Oral cancer is one of the most aggressive cancers.

Comment from: jujubee0523, Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I have not seen a dentist yet, but have had throat and nose issues with a long black lesion in the back part of the gum. I wear dentures and it has been there for over 2 years. I thought it was just black and blue. It is not the case.

Comment from: rose, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

Two weeks ago I had surgery the doctor removed an ulcer on my vocal box, since then I have this burning feeling on my tongue and the roof of my mouth and my tongue is cracking and a brown spot on my tongue. What's going on thank you.

Comment from: Wrightsassy, 55-64 Female Published: June 04

I have a place on the bottom inside of my mouth at gum level that is tender and is not getting better. On the outside of the jaw there is a bump or lump. Sometimes my jaw aches. I thought that I had an abscessed tooth, but where the problem is there is not a tooth.

Comment from: annie, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 20

My sister in law has had sore throats and mouth ulcers for 2 to 3 months. I looked in her mouth and it was full of ulcers and her tongue is black there is a hole at the right hand back of her tongue it is painful and she can't eat probably, but she is scared of the doctors.

Oral Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How was your oral cancer diagnosed?
Oral Cancer - Side Effects Question: Oral cancer treatment can make chewing and talking difficult. What side effects have been challenging for you?
Oral Cancer - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or surgery have you had to treat your oral cancer?