Patient Comments: Oral Cancer - Symptoms

What are the symptoms of your oral cancer?

Comment from: hunnibee23, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

I'm 22 and my tongue has been acting funny for 6 months now. I did some research and I think it is oral cancer. My mouth is sensitive from the roof of my mouth to every swallow. I really can't deal with the pain anymore and I don't have any medical insurance.

Comment from: MarcyLynn78, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I have had a white patch in the way back corner of my mouth on the left side. It's so far back that when they tell me to open my mouth the tongue hides it so they never see it. I have taken a picture but every single doctor I've been to say my mouth looks fine and there's nothing wrong. I feel the white patch and it's sometimes painful. I am at a loss, as they will not give me any testing and claim I am having pain from a nerve. I've had this going on 5 months now and it's also causing dry mouth and other sensations of the tongue. I was also told by a dentist that I have 'smokers" mouth even though I have never smoked which makes me worry I could possibly have some form of mouth cancer.

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

My tongue has been numb about a month. I have a blister under my tongue. The inside portion of my mouth on both sides have sores that have not healed. I am clenching my jaws and it is so painful that I wear a brace at night. Some days I can not move my neck. I have difficulty swallowing food. I have growths in my back that are to be biopsied; now I have made an appointment with a dentist. I am nervous about all this stuff and did not intend to post anything. I was just researching information. Now, I don't know if I want to go to a dentist at all.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I have a very frequent sore throat. Almost once every month. I have been smoking for 7 years and it has been 2 years since I started to have sore throat symtoms. I will have phlem, green maybe with little blood while having pain, or yellow, and tend to have phlem irritation even when my throat is no longer in pain. This time, the sore throat came back, and I finished the antibotics but my throat is still very sore. I have seen a specialist before but my sore throat will always come back.

Comment from: Gregg, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

I have had surgery to remove cancer from my tongue about a year ago. Following that I had two months of chemotherapy and radiation. My problem beyond having half my tongue removed is that the associated pain was so high I took everything in via feeding tube to this day. I am now trying to learn how to do something simple such as drink water without aspirating it. Does anyone have any ideas on how to relearn the ability to swallow liquid and then learn to take in soft food via mouth as well? I am concerned that I can't relearn that simple action.

Comment from: edthecat, 45-54 (Patient) Published: November 17

I have had pain on the top of my tongue at the back and it has lasted for about 5 months. There is an area that looks like a growth and it is about 3/4 " x 1/4" in size. The pain spreads to other parts of the tongue sometimes.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 17

Please don't take this form of cancer lightly. The minute it is a stage one it is time for aggressive treatment chemo, radiation. Second opinions are critical to make sure you are in the right place. My sister had several laser treatments, etc. and an operation on her tongue. It wasn't until it hit her lymph node (stage 3) that she had the surgery, chemo and radiation. By then it was too late and it spread everywhere. Oral cancer is one of the most aggressive cancers.

Comment from: jujubee0523, Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I have not seen a dentist yet, but have had throat and nose issues with a long black lesion in the back part of the gum. I wear dentures and it has been there for over 2 years. I thought it was just black and blue. It is not the case.

Oral Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How was your oral cancer diagnosed?
Oral Cancer - Side Effects Question: Oral cancer treatment can make chewing and talking difficult. What side effects have been challenging for you?
Oral Cancer - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or surgery have you had to treat your oral cancer?