The term oral cancer includes cancer of the mouth (oral cavity) and the back of the mouth (oropharynx). Red and white patches inside the mouth, bleeding, loose teeth, pain upon swallowing, a lump in the neck, earache, and a sore on your lip or in your mouth that won't heal are all symptoms of oral cancer. Treatment for oral cancer depends upon the staging of the disease and usually involves surgery, radiation therapy, or chemotherapy. Read more: Oral Cancer Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Understanding Cancer: Metastasis, Stages of Cancer, and More
Learn the basics about cancer including types, causes, how it spreads, symptoms and signs, stages and treatment options. Read...
Signs of Cancer in Women: Symptoms You Can't Ignore
Cancer symptoms can surprise women if they don't know what to watch out for. 15 cancer symptoms women ignore such as weight loss,...
Top Problems in Your Mouth
Learn about some of the most common problems in your mouth such as sores, oral cancer, TMJ, painful gums, bad breath and more....
Dental (Oral) Health Quiz: Test Your Dental Hygiene IQ
Take the Dental Health Quiz to test your IQ of oral hygiene, cavities, and common tongue and gum diseases. This quiz covers...
Top 10 Cancers Quiz
Take this quiz to learn the causes of cancer. Get the facts about the causes, symptoms, and treatments for the world's most...
25 Effects of Smoking on Your Looks and Life
What are the effects of smoking tobacco? Besides and increased risk of smoking related diseases, smoking can affect your looks...
Dental Images of Cavities, Dry Sockets, Gingivitis
Learn about dental problems such as cavities, gum disease, bad breath, and oral cancer. Explore procedures such as root canals,...
Cancer-Fighting Foods in Pictures: Resveratrol, Green Tea, and More
Experts have praised certain foods for their ability to reduce cancer risks. Learn which foods and eating strategies may help...
Head and Neck Cancers: Symptoms and Treatments
Head and neck cancers include cancers of the throat, lips, nose, mouth, larynx, and salivary glands. They are more likely to...
IMAGESSee pictures of dental procedures and oral health conditions See Images
Related Disease Conditions
Genital Warts (HPV) Infection in Women
Genital warts is a sexually transmitted infection (STI, STD) caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV). It is the most common STD...
There are a variety of diseases and conditions that can cause tongue problems, discoloration, and soreness. Though most tongue...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
A toothache is a pain on or around a tooth. It may be caused by a variety of things from a cavity, abscess, or even sinusitis....
Alcoholism is a disease that includes alcohol craving and continued drinking despite repeated alcohol-related problems, such as...
Chewing Tobacco (Smokeless Tobacco, Snuff)
Chewing tobacco (snuff or smokeless tobacco) has more nicotine absorbed into the system than by smoking a cigarette. Chewing...
Cancer Risk Factors
Though it's difficult to say why some people develop cancer while others don't, research shows that certain risk factors increase...
HPV (Human Papillomavirus Infection)
HPVs or human papillomaviruses are a group of viral infections of the skin and mucous membranes. Certain high-risk types of HPV...
Tumor grade is a system used to classify cancer cells in how likely the tumor is to grow and how abnormal they look under a...
Leukoplakia is a white or gray patch that develops on the tongue or inside the cheek. Causes of Leukoplakia may include...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Head and Neck Cancer
Head and neck cancer is cancer of the oral cavity, salivary glands, paranasal sinuses and nasal cavity, pharynx, larynx, or lymph...
Genital Warts in Men (HPV)
The HPV virus (genital warts) in men can cause health problems. Genital warts are confined primarily to the moist skin of the...
Cancer fatigue is a lack of energy that is caused by cancer or cancer treatment, including chemotherapy, radiation, biological...
Certain behavioral, lifestyle, and environmental factors contribute to cancer. Cancer prevention involves modifying these factors...
Local ResourcesFind a local Oncologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- CT Scan vs. MRI (Differences between Machines, Costs, Uses)
- Endoscopy (EGD) Procedure
- Dental Implants
- MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging Scan)
- Chest X-Ray
- CT Scan (Computerized Tomography)
- Screening Tests for Cancer
- Questions To Ask Before Surgery
- Radiation Therapy
- Plastic Surgery (Cosmetic Surgery)
- Dental X-Rays
- Caring for Your Dentures
- Dental X-Rays: When to Get Them
- Lasers in Dental Care
- Lump or Mass on Gums
- Bad Taste in the Mouth
- Mouth Sores
- Sore Tongue
- Bad Breath
- Painful Gums
- Sore Throat (Pharyngitis)
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Advance Medical Directives
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- Cancer and Green Tea
- Cancer Pain Management with Ann Reiner
- Cancer: The Importance of Joining a Cancer Support Group with Selma Schimmel
- Cancer Patients Need Proper Diet and Exercise
- Cancer: Living Well Despite with Win Boerckel
- Cancer Treatment: Writing to Heal with Margie Davis
- Cancer Survival and Attitude with Hamilton Jordan
- Cancer: Confronting Cancer with Humor
- Cancer: Journaling to Save Your Life
Medications & Supplements
- bupropion (Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban, Aplenzin, Fortivo XL, Zyban)
- nicotine patch (Nicoderm CQ, Habitrol)
- Dilaudid vs. Fentanyl (Pain Strength Comparison and Side Effects)
- fentanyl patch (Duragesic)
- Nicorette Gum (nicotine polacrilex, Habitrol)
- nicotine inhaler - oral, Nicotrol
- nicotine spray - nasal, Nicotrol NS
Prevention & Wellness
- HPV Might Be Behind Vocal Cord Cancers in Young
- Health Tip: How Alcohol May Raise Cancer Risk
- Smoggy Air Tied to Higher Odds for Mouth Cancers
- Study Confirms Added Cancer Risk for Diabetics, Especially Women
- Health Tip: Recognize Symptoms of Oral Cancer
- Tobacco Tied to Higher Risk of Oral HPV Infection, Study Finds
- The Future of Cancer Detection
- 1 in 10 Deaths Among Adults Tied to Alcohol: CDC
- HPV-Linked Oral Cancers May Not Be 'Contagious'
- HPV-Linked Throat Cancer May Have Telltale First Symptoms
- Obesity May Be Tied to Lower Survival Rates for Tongue Cancer Patients
- Despite Major Progress, Some Childhood Cancers Are Still Killers
- Poor Oral Hygiene Tied to Cancer-Linked Virus, Study Finds
- HPV May Also Raise Risk of Throat Cancer
- HPV Vaccine Might Shield Women Against Throat Cancer: Study
- Michael Douglas Blames His Throat Cancer on Oral Sex
- Health Tip: Don't Smoke for a Better Smile
- 'Wake-Up' Cigarette May Raise Risk for Lung, Mouth Cancers
- Which Cancer Tests Do You Really Need?
- Coffee May Lower Risk of Death From Mouth Cancer: Study
- New Gene Test Predicts Whose Mouth Lesions Might Be Cancerous
- Cancer-Causing Chemical in Smokeless Tobacco ID'd
- Blood Pressure Drugs Linked to Lip Cancer in Study
- Dentists Play Key Role in Detecting Oral Cancer
- Health Highlights: March 19, 2012
- Health Tip: Am I at Risk for Gum Disease?
- Health Tip: Chewing Tobacco Harms Oral Health
- Quitting Smoking May Halve Risk of Oral Health Problems
- Oral HPV Infection Strikes Men More Than Women: Study
- HPV-Linked Oral Cancers on the Rise, Study Finds
- 4 Things You Didn't Know About Oral Sex
- 15 Cancer Symptoms Men Ignore
- Oral Cancer Prevention
- Cancer Treatment: Getting the Support You Need
- Cancer Treatment: Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- Oral Health Care
- Cancer Treatment - Managing Eating Problems
- Cancer Treatment: Pre-Treatment Eating Tips
- Cancer Pain, A Guide for You and Your Family
- Cancer and Sexual Health
- Cancer Survival - Better & Longer Survival Rates
Oral Health Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter