Patient Comments: Optic Neuritis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your optic neuritis?

Comment from: mamalisa, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I have had bone spurs from both heels removed 20 years ago which was great, but I have both hips and spine spurs now. I can't walk just to and from the car, I don't carry much, and steps are a no, no. I can't stand to do dishes, I am having pain with any motion, no pain when I sit or lie. I have a lot of depression and anxiety from pain, so I feel useless.

Comment from: Truckingangel05, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I had brain surgery in 2012. My neuro eye doctor couldn"t figure out why my optic nerves were swollen; because my head had been cut open. Along with blurred vision I was having bad head pressure. Top and back of head hurt to touch. So he sent me to the emergency room where they did an MRI and MRV. I also had a spinal tap because my pressure was severely high. Following week the neuro eye doctor put me on acetazolamide and I was still having head pressure but no blurred vision. I went to see a neuro oncologist and he upped the dose to 2 pills 3 times a day. I"ve had bare minimal head pressure but he said optic nerves are still swollen. So I'm hoping the medications continue to work and the optic nerves go back to normal.

Comment from: vaymer, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I noticed pain in my left eye and back of my head about one week ago, and took Aleve, thinking it would go away. Unfortunately, it got worse when my field of vision became minimal about two days ago, out of nowhere. I was told to immediately go to an eye specialist, who performed tests and an MRI and diagnosed the issue as optic neuritis. I have now been in the hospital for two days, receiving IV treatment of methylprednisolone and I plan to be here another two days. A small white matter was found during the MRI, but I am hoping that it does not turn out to be MS (multiple sclerosis); only time and more blood work will tell.

Comment from: evianers, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I am at my wits' end as twice now I have been hospitalized. Every test available has been done, including lumbar puncture, intravenous cortisone, oral prednisone, four MRIs, and nothing seems to work. I wonder if there is the likelihood that the persistent dull ache will go away. It's really difficult to deal with. Cannot believe I might have to live with this for years. It has been three months with optic neuritis now and no improvement.

Comment from: jyoti, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I'm 28 year old. I am suffering from severe agony pain on my right side head and right eye blurred vision. I went to see my ophthalmologist. He gave me dexamethasone steroid eye drop to put in my eye because of inflammation in the middle part of the cornea. MRI scan didn't show any inflammation in brain. This headache killing me every day. They can't tell if it is optic neuritis or not because my vision is fine, just little blurry in my right eye. I'm taking diclofenac sodium but seems only temporary help.

Comment from: my dad, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 20

My dad lost his vision in both eyes due to optic neuritis. Doctor told there is no treatment for it.

Comment from: gale, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I used baby oil to remove my makeup and it went into my eye. Days later I experienced pain when I moved my right eye. Three days later I lost about 10% vision and went to the hospital. I was diagnosed with optic neuritis in April 13 after many blood test and an MRI. I was treated with IV steroids for three days with checkups every fortnight for 6 weeks and then discharged. Five Months later I started feeling pressure when I bend down and have pain in my right temple.

Optic Neuritis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with optic neuritis.