Patient Comments: Optic Neuritis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your optic neuritis?

Comment from: lisa acartlitch, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

Have had optic neuritis for nearly a year now, went through all the tests for MS, brain scans, spinal tap etc, all negative but eye is still the same with about a 90% loss of vision. This is sadly my good eye, the other one is a lazy eye so have had a lot of problems adjusting. They say make sure it doesn't reoccur - hard to know how to stop it as it appeared from nowhere.

Comment from: DI, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

One month ago I lost 100% vision in my R eye over the course of approximately 1 week, and lots of pain with eye movement. I had a MRI showing no other changes. I was given option of having 3 day course of IV steroids, followed by 1 week decreasing dose of oral steroids, which I agreed to. My vision is returning slowly.

Comment from: menalmum01, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I was unfortunate enough to have been diagnosed with Optic Neuritis in both eyes on 21/05/2011. I was admitted to hospital for 5 days. I had an MRI scan and a Lumber Puncture. I was diagnosed by the Ophthalmology consultant following many tests. At its height I lost 80% vision in my left eye and 50% in my right eye. I took approx 9 days to get to the worse loss. After approx 10 days I had recovered about 90% of my original vision, except for an acute oversaturation of light which forced me to wear sunglasses all the time. After 10 days from leaving hospital I started getting a headache over my right eye and within 3 days had again lost 40% of vision in my right eye. It is apparently unusual to have a reoccurrence so quickly after the first diagnosis. All I can do is wait for my sight to return. However long it will take. I hope this helps. Best Wishes.

Comment from: anupam, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 24

I am suffering for last 10 years and taking medicines like azathioprine tab along with mecobalamin tab and if it doesn't work then take methyl prednisolone injection (intravenous).

Optic Neuritis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with optic neuritis.