Patient Comments: Optic Neuritis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your optic neuritis?

Comment from: Stacy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 28

I am 40 years old and was diagnosed with optic neuritis in August 2012. It took a week, 3 ER visits, and a diagnosis from an ophthalmologist before I was finally given IV steroids followed by 60 mg daily for a month. Just under 3 weeks of being totally off prednisone, I had another episode. This one is not as painful, there is no vomiting this time. I am told that the degree of pain is rare. I begin my three day course of IV therapy tomorrow. I believe mine is caused by a family history of rare autoimmune diseases. The blessing from all of this is while investigating my eye, doctors discovered a brain aneurysm. My doctors currently feel the aneurysm was discovered in enough time to prevent a rupture. However, I would not wish the pain or vision loss induced by optic neuritis on my worst enemy.

Comment from: faithfullywaiting, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I'm 24 and I was diagnosed with optic neuritis about 1 year ago and I'm worried I won't ever be able to see out of that eye again. It wasn't the best birthday present I could have asked for, but life is cruel. I don't have MS or any other autoimmune disease which is frustrating because there is nothing I can do the doctors say. I chose not to have steroids done initially which I regret, I waited about 8 months before choosing to take steroids. They only caused me more pain. I also tried a homeopathic route and had no luck.

Comment from: John barnes, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

I have had optic neuritis. It's been 2 years now, and it looks like it's there for life as I have got MS. We take too much for granted.

Comment from: Becca, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I have had two episodes of optic neuritis. Both were treated with intravenous Solu-Medrol.

Comment from: rosek, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

My first incident was in November of 2012. The visual acuity loss was 20/200 in my left eye, but a decent 20/50 in the right. I received steroid injections and found a great improvement in the pain along with a return to decent vision. However, in February of 2013, my right eye flared again. Despite using steroidal eye drops, I needed another injection.

Comment from: ajw, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

The treatment for my optic neuritis was a Prednisolone tablet for my first attack and then an intravenous steroid during my time on the ward. Then two tablets of Prednisolone again for the second optic neuritis attack.

Comment from: lisa acartlitch, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

Have had optic neuritis for nearly a year now, went through all the tests for MS, brain scans, spinal tap etc, all negative but eye is still the same with about a 90% loss of vision. This is sadly my good eye, the other one is a lazy eye so have had a lot of problems adjusting. They say make sure it doesn't reoccur - hard to know how to stop it as it appeared from nowhere.

Comment from: DI, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

One month ago I lost 100% vision in my R eye over the course of approximately 1 week, and lots of pain with eye movement. I had a MRI showing no other changes. I was given option of having 3 day course of IV steroids, followed by 1 week decreasing dose of oral steroids, which I agreed to. My vision is returning slowly.

Comment from: menalmum01, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I was unfortunate enough to have been diagnosed with Optic Neuritis in both eyes on 21/05/2011. I was admitted to hospital for 5 days. I had an MRI scan and a Lumber Puncture. I was diagnosed by the Ophthalmology consultant following many tests. At its height I lost 80% vision in my left eye and 50% in my right eye. I took approx 9 days to get to the worse loss. After approx 10 days I had recovered about 90% of my original vision, except for an acute oversaturation of light which forced me to wear sunglasses all the time. After 10 days from leaving hospital I started getting a headache over my right eye and within 3 days had again lost 40% of vision in my right eye. It is apparently unusual to have a reoccurrence so quickly after the first diagnosis. All I can do is wait for my sight to return. However long it will take. I hope this helps. Best Wishes.

Optic Neuritis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with optic neuritis.