Patient Comments: Optic Neuritis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your optic neuritis?

Comment from: my dad, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 20

My dad lost his vision in both eyes due to optic neuritis. Doctor told there is no treatment for it.

Comment from: jyoti, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I'm 28 year old. I am suffering from severe agony pain on my right side head and right eye blurred vision. I went to see my ophthalmologist. He gave me dexamethasone steroid eye drop to put in my eye because of inflammation in the middle part of the cornea. MRI scan didn't show any inflammation in brain. This headache killing me every day. They can't tell if it is optic neuritis or not because my vision is fine, just little blurry in my right eye. I'm taking diclofenac sodium but seems only temporary help.

Comment from: gale, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I used baby oil to remove my makeup and it went into my eye. Days later I experienced pain when I moved my right eye. Three days later I lost about 10% vision and went to the hospital. I was diagnosed with optic neuritis in April 13 after many blood test and an MRI. I was treated with IV steroids for three days with checkups every fortnight for 6 weeks and then discharged. Five Months later I started feeling pressure when I bend down and have pain in my right temple.

Comment from: Orange girl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 16

In 2007 I stood up and the vision in my right eye went black for a few seconds and I ignored it. I always had headaches/migraines. It wasn't until a week later that I realized I couldn't see out of my right eye, just light. I went to the doctor and was admitted to the hospital for a week with a severe case of optic neuritis. The IV medicines made me throw up and caused my blood pressure to sky rocket. The cure was worse than the sickness. I had zero eye pain. My headaches were an everyday thing so I really didn't know anything was so wrong. It's been six and a half years since that happened.

Comment from: littlefruitbat, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am currently on intravenous (IV) steroids for optic neuritis. I have limited vision in my right eye - it's like looking through a lens smeared with grey Vaseline.

Comment from: lynn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

It started with a severe headache that lasted 3 months. I woke up one morning with blurred vision in my left eye (20/20 my whole life). I went to the hospital for 5 days to have IV steroids then oral steroids for several weeks. All the tests are negative and I only have about 90% vision in that eye. It has been 4 years and no answers.

Comment from: Stacy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 28

I am 40 years old and was diagnosed with optic neuritis in August 2012. It took a week, 3 ER visits, and a diagnosis from an ophthalmologist before I was finally given IV steroids followed by 60 mg daily for a month. Just under 3 weeks of being totally off prednisone, I had another episode. This one is not as painful, there is no vomiting this time. I am told that the degree of pain is rare. I begin my three day course of IV therapy tomorrow. I believe mine is caused by a family history of rare autoimmune diseases. The blessing from all of this is while investigating my eye, doctors discovered a brain aneurysm. My doctors currently feel the aneurysm was discovered in enough time to prevent a rupture. However, I would not wish the pain or vision loss induced by optic neuritis on my worst enemy.

Optic Neuritis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with optic neuritis.
Optic Neuritis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with optic neuritis?