Patient Comments: Optic Neuritis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your optic neuritis?

Comment from: gale, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I used baby oil to remove my makeup and it went into my eye. Days later I experienced pain when I moved my right eye. Three days later I lost about 10% vision and went to the hospital. I was diagnosed with optic neuritis in April 13 after many blood test and an MRI. I was treated with IV steroids for three days with checkups every fortnight for 6 weeks and then discharged. Five Months later I started feeling pressure when I bend down and have pain in my right temple.

Comment from: Orange girl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 16

In 2007 I stood up and the vision in my right eye went black for a few seconds and I ignored it. I always had headaches/migraines. It wasn't until a week later that I realized I couldn't see out of my right eye, just light. I went to the doctor and was admitted to the hospital for a week with a severe case of optic neuritis. The IV medicines made me throw up and caused my blood pressure to sky rocket. The cure was worse than the sickness. I had zero eye pain. My headaches were an everyday thing so I really didn't know anything was so wrong. It's been six and a half years since that happened.

Comment from: littlefruitbat, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am currently on intravenous (IV) steroids for optic neuritis. I have limited vision in my right eye - it's like looking through a lens smeared with grey Vaseline.

Comment from: lynn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

It started with a severe headache that lasted 3 months. I woke up one morning with blurred vision in my left eye (20/20 my whole life). I went to the hospital for 5 days to have IV steroids then oral steroids for several weeks. All the tests are negative and I only have about 90% vision in that eye. It has been 4 years and no answers.

Comment from: Stacy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 28

I am 40 years old and was diagnosed with optic neuritis in August 2012. It took a week, 3 ER visits, and a diagnosis from an ophthalmologist before I was finally given IV steroids followed by 60 mg daily for a month. Just under 3 weeks of being totally off prednisone, I had another episode. This one is not as painful, there is no vomiting this time. I am told that the degree of pain is rare. I begin my three day course of IV therapy tomorrow. I believe mine is caused by a family history of rare autoimmune diseases. The blessing from all of this is while investigating my eye, doctors discovered a brain aneurysm. My doctors currently feel the aneurysm was discovered in enough time to prevent a rupture. However, I would not wish the pain or vision loss induced by optic neuritis on my worst enemy.

Comment from: faithfullywaiting, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I'm 24 and I was diagnosed with optic neuritis about 1 year ago and I'm worried I won't ever be able to see out of that eye again. It wasn't the best birthday present I could have asked for, but life is cruel. I don't have MS or any other autoimmune disease which is frustrating because there is nothing I can do the doctors say. I chose not to have steroids done initially which I regret, I waited about 8 months before choosing to take steroids. They only caused me more pain. I also tried a homeopathic route and had no luck.

Comment from: John barnes, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

I have had optic neuritis. It's been 2 years now, and it looks like it's there for life as I have got MS. We take too much for granted.

Comment from: Becca, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I have had two episodes of optic neuritis. Both were treated with intravenous Solu-Medrol.

Optic Neuritis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with optic neuritis.