Patient Comments: Optic Neuritis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your optic neuritis?

Comment from: Orange girl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 16

In 2007 I stood up and the vision in my right eye went black for a few seconds and I ignored it. I always had headaches/migraines. It wasn't until a week later that I realized I couldn't see out of my right eye, just light. I went to the doctor and was admitted to the hospital for a week with a severe case of optic neuritis. The IV medicines made me throw up and caused my blood pressure to sky rocket. The cure was worse than the sickness. I had zero eye pain. My headaches were an everyday thing so I really didn't know anything was so wrong. It's been six and a half years since that happened.

Comment from: littlefruitbat, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am currently on intravenous (IV) steroids for optic neuritis. I have limited vision in my right eye - it's like looking through a lens smeared with grey Vaseline.

Comment from: lynn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

It started with a severe headache that lasted 3 months. I woke up one morning with blurred vision in my left eye (20/20 my whole life). I went to the hospital for 5 days to have IV steroids then oral steroids for several weeks. All the tests are negative and I only have about 90% vision in that eye. It has been 4 years and no answers.

Comment from: Stacy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 28

I am 40 years old and was diagnosed with optic neuritis in August 2012. It took a week, 3 ER visits, and a diagnosis from an ophthalmologist before I was finally given IV steroids followed by 60 mg daily for a month. Just under 3 weeks of being totally off prednisone, I had another episode. This one is not as painful, there is no vomiting this time. I am told that the degree of pain is rare. I begin my three day course of IV therapy tomorrow. I believe mine is caused by a family history of rare autoimmune diseases. The blessing from all of this is while investigating my eye, doctors discovered a brain aneurysm. My doctors currently feel the aneurysm was discovered in enough time to prevent a rupture. However, I would not wish the pain or vision loss induced by optic neuritis on my worst enemy.

Comment from: faithfullywaiting, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I'm 24 and I was diagnosed with optic neuritis about 1 year ago and I'm worried I won't ever be able to see out of that eye again. It wasn't the best birthday present I could have asked for, but life is cruel. I don't have MS or any other autoimmune disease which is frustrating because there is nothing I can do the doctors say. I chose not to have steroids done initially which I regret, I waited about 8 months before choosing to take steroids. They only caused me more pain. I also tried a homeopathic route and had no luck.

Comment from: John barnes, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

I have had optic neuritis. It's been 2 years now, and it looks like it's there for life as I have got MS. We take too much for granted.

Comment from: Becca, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I have had two episodes of optic neuritis. Both were treated with intravenous Solu-Medrol.

Comment from: rosek, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

My first incident was in November of 2012. The visual acuity loss was 20/200 in my left eye, but a decent 20/50 in the right. I received steroid injections and found a great improvement in the pain along with a return to decent vision. However, in February of 2013, my right eye flared again. Despite using steroidal eye drops, I needed another injection.

Comment from: ajw, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

The treatment for my optic neuritis was a Prednisolone tablet for my first attack and then an intravenous steroid during my time on the ward. Then two tablets of Prednisolone again for the second optic neuritis attack.

Optic Neuritis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with optic neuritis.