Patient Comments: Optic Neuritis - Experience

Please describe your experience with optic neuritis.

Comment from: Bryan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 14

I woke up one morning with loss of vision and pain in my left eye. I"m a 46 year old male. I went to the eye doctor who diagnosed me with optic neuritis (ON). I also had other sensation issues such as slight sensation loss in my legs and my face. I went to the neurologist who gave me an MRI and found 20 to 30 lesions on my brain. Diagnosis: multiple sclerosis. After a week of IV methapred drug, I have had no new symptoms. I"m now on a pill that is supposed to reduce the number of attacks. The long term prognosis is I should live a long life but I"m to expect my brain to turn to tapioca pudding over that period. And to think, I just finished my doctorate degree.

Comment from: Darla, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 20

My daughter is having eye pain. She had sinus surgery due to strep infection. They thought it was causing pressure on the optic nerve. After 2 weeks, she is still having eye pain. Vision in her left eye has not returned. Question is whether the sinuses can cause this, or she may have another problem. After (6) doctors" opinions, we are at a loss and so are they. I believe she does have optic neuritis as one doctor mentioned. We don"t know where to take her to verify this!

Comment from: jimr55411, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 23

I had the first bout with optic neuritis in 2005. Many years and tests later I was thought to have multiple sclerosis and I was treated with Rebif but had no brain spots on the MRI scans. In January 2014 I had a blood test NMO-IgG. It was determined that I have Devic's disease and always had it. I now have lung issues as well as optic neuritis and need to use a wheelchair to get around. I am now on disability at fifty and don't have a good prognosis to live. It is always a good idea to get a second opinion.

Comment from: angeleyesjess, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have optic neuritis in my left eye. They could not determine the cause. I was hospitalized 4 days, had an MRI, lumbar puncture, and steroids. My vision is not better. It's been 4 months. I get terrible, debilitating headaches, especially on left side head/eye where diagnosed. It is painful. I'm told I have to see a neurologist. I'm afraid to drive. It is horrible pain.

Comment from: Heartfriend, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I have relapse/remit multiple sclerosis since 2006 with infrequent flares and symptoms, but yesterday I woke up with impaired vision in my right eye. It looks grayish. I figured it is an MS issue. Then, this morning, it was worsened, so I decided to research this to determine its origin. By educating myself, I see that it is optic neuritis, most likely a symptom. It has only been 2 days. I see it will last a while. I do not medicate, which my doctor had no problem with due to the rarity and severity of symptoms.

Comment from: scfinla, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

I developed optic neuritis after getting encephalitis. I am advised that the damage is permanent. If noticed early on and shared with medical caregivers, I wonder if there are proactive measures to treat or ward off further damage.

Comment from: Loll, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

In 1993, I had optic neuritis in my right eye, which was treated with intravenous prednisolone. Over time, my sight returned to normal. In 2003, I had it again but in my left eye; this time, no medication was prescribed and again my sight returned over a matter of weeks. I have now had my third attack, again in my right eye (2013), and I have had five days of intravenous prednisolone. This time, my sight seems to have deteriorated further after the cessation of treatment. Ten days after my release from the hospital, I have no sight in my right eye, do not feel safe to drive, and am fearful that my sight may never return. I have been diagnosed with MS, but this has been queried over the years due to the infrequency of attacks.

Comment from: red, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

This condition was first detected in 1999. It was treated with steroid oral tablets. The vision loss was 50% in my right eye. I had another attack in 2009 in the same eye with total vision loss. That time, I had IV steroids and I was prescribed several different antibiotics. I took these for two years with no improvement. Every six months I go for an eye checkup with visual field tests on some machines followed by an annual MRI. The latest MRI in April 2013 showed the same status – inflammation of my optic nerve. My left eye vision is OK.

Optic Neuritis - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your optic neuritis?