- Asthma Attack Treatment
- Quiz: Could This Be Asthma?
- Asthma Myths and Facts
- Patient Comments: Occupational Asthma - Causes and Risks
- Find a local Doctor in your town
- Occupational asthma facts
- What is occupational asthma?
- What causes occupational asthma?
- What are risk factors for occupational asthma?
- What are symptoms and signs of occupational asthma?
- How is occupational asthma diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for occupational asthma?
- What are complications of occupational asthma?
- Can occupational asthma be prevented?
- Where can a person find more information about occupational asthma?
Quick GuideAsthma: The Anatomy of an Asthma Attack
Where can a person find more information about occupational asthma?
"Asthma," American Lung Association
"Occupational Asthma," Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
Medically reviewed by James E Gerace, MD; American Board of Internal Medicine with subspecialty in Pulmonary Disease
Balmes, J., M. Becklake, P. Blanc, et al. "American Thoracic Society Statement: Occupational Contribution to the Burden of Airway Disease." Am J Respir Crit Care Med 167 (2003): 787-797.
Bherer, L. "Survey of Construction Workers Repeatedly Exposed to Chlorine Over a Three to Six Month Period in a Pulpmill: Follow Up of Affected Workers by Questionnaire, Spirometry, and Assessment of Bronchial Responsiveness 18 to 24 Months After Exposure Ended." Occup Environ Med 51.4 (1994): 225-228.
Bignon, J.S. "HLA Class II Alleles in Isocyanate-Induced Asthma." Am J Respir Crit Care Med 149.1 (1994): 71-75.
Brooks, S.M. "Reactive Airways Dysfunction Syndrome (RADS): Persistent Asthma Syndrome After High Level Irritant Exposures." Chest 88.3 (1985): 376-384.
Maghni, K. "Airway Inflammation After Cessation of Exposure to Agents Causing Occupational Asthma." Am J Respir Crit Care Med 169.3 (2004): 367-372.
Malo, J.L. "Agents Causing Occupational Asthma." J Allergy Clin Immunol 123 (2009): 545-550.
Malo, J.L. "Natural History of Occupational Asthma: Relevance of Type of Agent and Other Factors in the Rate of Development of Symptoms in Affected Subjects." J Allergy Clin Immunol 90.6.1 (1992): 937-944.
Moscato, G. "Occupational Asthma: A Longitudinal Study on the Clinical and Socioeconomic Outcome After Diagnosis." Chest 115.1 (1999): 249-256.
Muller-Wening, D. "Protective Effect of Respiratory Devices in Farmers With Occupational Asthma." Eur Respir J 12.3 (1998): 569-572.
Venables, K.M. "Smoking and Occupational Allergy in Workers in a Platinum Refinery." BMJ 299.6705 (1989): 939-942.
Vendeplas, O. "What Are the Questionnaire Items Most Useful in Identifying Subjects With Occupational Asthma?" Eur Respir J 26.6 (2005): 1056-1063.